The Former Presidency of Donald J. Trump, Volume XI: The Crypt Keeper Years

I sincerely think Lindsey is gay and is terrified of being outed. Last time I brought that up a bunch of people said I was way out of line but it is still my opinion.

6 Likes

Agreed. It will all be for nothing if we don’t get voting rights fixed though. There is going to be INSANE voting law changes going into 2022 that will disenfranchise millions.

I don’t think if you state it exactly like that anyone would say it’s out of line.

It’s using derogatory terms like Lady G - which don’t just attack Lindsey but indirectly denigrate all effeminate males - gay or straight - by implying that being an effeminate male is an insult.

9 Likes

My wife had a dream that she saw a 12-pack of Caffeine-Free Coke Zero on the back of the shelf at Publix. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

4 Likes

Isn’t he pretty much already outed, though.

It seem like this is more or less an open secret at this point.

4 Likes

Mitch’s conception of evil differs somewhat from mine.

1 Like

14 Likes

It’s literally his comfort zone.

The person of Donald Trump can be untangled from authoritarianism, fascism and even the “Trump cult”, meaning MAGA-ism. There’s a poll here with some interesting results.

Despite positive feelings about Trump among Republicans overall, most report that their allegiance is to the GOP and not the former president. Sixty-three percent of self-identified Republicans say they consider themselves to be more of a supporter of the Republican Party rather than a supporter of Trump (63 percent vs. 37 percent). This represents a sharp shift from the fall, when polls suggested that Republicans were more committed to supporting Trump than the party.

Trump’s position is stronger among his voters, but even among this group, more identify with the GOP than with him personally. Among voters who supported Trump in the 2020 election, more than half (53 percent) say they view themselves as a Republican Party supporter rather than a Trump supporter, while less than half report that they consider themselves a Trump supporter (47 percent).

This is weeks after Trump was President, I don’t see how you can be confident based on those numbers that Trump himself will still be a force in 2024. On the other hand:

More than one in three (36 percent) Americans agree with the statement: “The traditional American way of life is disappearing so fast that we may have to use force to save it.” Six in 10 (60 percent) Americans reject the idea that the use of force is necessary, but there is significant partisan disagreement on this question.

A majority (55 percent) of Republicans support the use of force as a way to arrest the decline of the traditional American way of life.

“Using force to arrest the decline of some (probably imaginary) traditional way of life” might not be a dictionary definition of fascism, but it is pretty fucking close. The GOP is just a majority fascist party now. Trump was the catalyst by which this transformation occurred, but the GOP will continue being fascist now with or without him.

10 Likes

This isn’t intended to refute or rebut anything in the last few posts, but to supplement:

A UW professor explains why the GOP, even now, just can’t quit Trump

Parker, along with Rachel Blum, a political science professor at the University of Oklahoma, surveyed about 1,900 self-identified MAGA stalwarts in late December, to try to better understand their political attitudes. This wasn’t a poll, but rather an in-depth survey of a group — the study participants were found based on their MAGA activity on social media.

The findings make it crystal clear how and why so many Republicans could end up looking the other way, even at an anti-democratic insurrection that killed five people. It’s because to the MAGA movement, there’s an alternate universe where none of it really happened.

“They don’t think their side had much of anything to do with it,” Parker says.

Incredibly, more than 80 percent of the MAGA survey respondents say the Capitol riot was the fault not of the GOP, and definitely not of Trump, but of … antifa.

Nearly the entire group — 98 percent — also said they agree with Trump’s unproven claims that the election was stolen.

Parker said MAGA is “extremely politically organized and mobilized,” and so has an outsized influence on GOP elected officials even beyond its large numbers. His survey found they overwhelmingly believe voting should be made harder, not easier, and that they overwhelmingly support norm-breaking measures such as overturning the election and the idea of Trump serving as president beyond the constitutionally mandated two-term limit.

He still doesn’t think it’s sinking in, even after an insurrection.

“People aren’t getting how serious this is, how much of an ongoing threat it is to democracy. You people in the press are still acting surprised by it all — when are you going to get it?”

6 Likes

Oh, I thought this referred to the movie, starring Lindsey Graham as the middle segment.

1 Like

“Norm breaking measures such as overturning the election.”

That’s called a coup, bro.

8 Likes

Editing because I changed my take.

My dads a super Trump loving deplorable and he’s kinda my test for how these people feel… He disavows what happened at the capitol but doesn’t blame Trump. Both sides it because BLM obv.

Still supports Republicans obv and wants them to rig it so Republicans can win forever. I think thats a lot their supporters.

Like that poll says. I think it’s pretty split. 2/3 still support Republicans and about 1/3 is support Trump loving deplorables. I think in the end they will all just vote Republican because they’re sheep and will do what right wing media tells then and it’ll tell them democrats are pedophile rapists and they must vote Republican.

1 Like

I just don’t think the math fundamentally works out where Trump has control over the majority of Republican voters in a manner that could keep them from supporting republicans without Trump’s endorsement. There was a sizable Republican Party before Trump and it didn’t more than double with Trump. When Trump isn’t an option most of them are going to return to where they were before. Sure he activated a sizable number of new voters, many of whom will go back to sitting on their hands but it’s still only a minority of the party.

If Trump ran as a third party candidate in 2024 he would still come in a distant third place.

His base is sizable though and can cause all sorts of problems for republicans. However cotowing to them is a bib mistake in my opinion. One that will pay off for democrats if lightning takes out all of the democratic leadership and replaces them with people who might know what to do.

It’s not like if Trump didn’t run in 2024 the Republican candidate would only get 20 million votes.

The bottom line is if republicans capitulate to Trump it will totally destroy the Republican Party. On the other hand it will then destroy the entire country so there will no longer be a need for the parties.

I think it’s more or less an open secret amongst his peers. He is shit scared of the deplorables who vote for him tho and they have no idea.

Can an establishment Republican candidate ever win if Trump runs as a third party candidate? He’s not going to suck votes from Democrats and he’s going to get more votes than the LOLibertarian. What’s the GOP path to victory if a Trump third party run gets 10 million votes?

Republicans can’t win the presidency without a coalition of Trumpers and anti-Trump Republicans. One side gets a candidate it likes and the other has to tolerate someone they dislike because they dislike Democrats more. It’s arguably easier to get such a partisan reaction from anti-Trump Republicans. The Trumpers include more people who have not had that sort of partisan reflex ingrained for so long and are more likely to be willing to vote for a third party or sit out an election, so it’s possible that catering to the Trump faction gives Republicans a better chance of winning a presidential election than shunning them.

Trump has the GOP by the balls and will be holding a massive grudge over the lack of support he got post-election. There’s also nothing the party can offer him that he wants.

Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Trump devotes the next stage of his life to using his base to screw over the GOP.

2 Likes

Yea GOP really should have cut him loose when they had the chance. Sure, they would have taken a hit for 10 years, but Trump is basically going to split the GOP in half. Corporations that donate to politicians do not want the Qanon nuts in power.

I hope you’re right, but it seems likely to me that he’s shown that rank-and-file Republican voters will at least accept (if not celebrate) abject totalitarianism. And that was in the name of an obviously bloviating con artist, a slightly smarter/refined version of Trump is going to dominate.

2 Likes

Trump is going to be looked back upon by Republican voters as the man who showed them the way but didn’t go far enough

10 Likes