The Crypto Thread

No posts here in a while, kind of surprising given the runup. I’m continuing my long-term gamble to just acquire ETH, tiny transactions at a time, but had this thought … I see news stories all the time about the energy use of bitcoin, new bitcoin mining operations, new bitcoin energy use rules, etc etc … I wonder to what extent mainstream press uses “bitcoin” to mean “crypto” … and, if you could track the frequency of crypto currency mentions in mainstream publications, maybe one could better see sentiment.

I went to pay for something on Etsy yesterday and paypal offered me the option to pay with ETH…

I think as it applies to mining and energy use, in most cases they are referring specifically to bitcoin, as the energy consumption of the proof-of-work bitcoin network is an issue specific to it, whereas ETH is transitioning to proof of stake, for which energy consumption is not an issue.

Call me a goodweathertrader but with the market going in the right direction I’m back to messing around a bit. I happened to have SOL and AVAX and sold at a nice profit, and I’m looking for inspiration to dump some $ on. @6ix any hot new takes?

I’m on a text thread with some bros who are going crazy over something called Cardano, any of y’all on that?

Lots are.

There will be less on that this time next year.

The idiots of the world are either worried about inflation or pretending that inflation is going to be a serious problem in the future to improve their positions. Inflation is here now and it is what we all see.

Businesses are mass producing chips and general consumer products to meet demand but we wont just conveniently slide into the supply/demand sweet spot where everything is A okay as opposed to running into a gluttony of products that causes prices to come down when folks have everything they need and the money highs came to an end. You will hear about deflation fears in the near future.

1 Like

I have no idea what this site is – bullshit investing “advice” or what – so take it with a grain of salt and then some. … Cardano and Ethereum to make huge gains by year end, predict crypto founders

tldr:Coinbase support is nonexistant and if hackers steal your money they wont even call you back. Problem is apparently so big they are bringing back live chat and phone support.

From what I understand, the sim swap isn’t enough on its own; the criminals need it in combination with either your password or access to your email (to reset your pw).

Sim-swapping has been a big ignored problem for a while, which is why SMS is a lousy form of 2fa for something as important as a 170k account. As for the pw, I would think Coinbase locks you out after a few/several failed attempts? But people still shouldn’t use a pw that can be brute-forced.

Coinbase has handled this poorly of course, but even if they had customer support, I don’t imagine there’s anything they could do. The convo would go something like, “We’ve investigated and it turns out, your money is still gone. To use an analogy, your money is to
‘gone’ as Rush Limbaugh is to ‘dead’.”

If anything, sue the phone company because they’re the ones allowing any stranger to redirect your texts to a different phone simply by calling up customer service.

Should Coinbase reimburse people? My initial reaction was that it’s not their fault. But one might argue that it is because if they were gonna offer SMS 2fa at all, it should have been opt-in and come with a big warning about how insecure it is and how you’re waiving your right to reimbursement as a result. They should have been urging their customers to use hardware 2fa or a special app or something.

Last night, a crackpot at my poker table said the global elites plan to make XRP the single global currency. Remember when those fidget spinners were popular for maybe a year? According to him, that’s because they resemble Ripple’s logo and they were meant to be subliminal Ripple propaganda for kids.

He also said there will be a stock market crash on Sept 16 due to the Shmita year, so consider yourselves warned.

4 Likes

Oh no! Not the Shmita year!

3 Likes

I told you fuckers not to use coinbase.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/pdjxnb/safemoon_has_been_exploited_from_day_1_and/

Big jump today…

1 Like

I’ve been maintaining my “just keep buying a bit at a time” strategy, but it’s actually easier when the price was down. This runnup spikes my fomo even as I’m buying. … It’s ok, should get a crash soon … this upgrade is separate from the energy fix coming late this year or 2022.

I just found out, as a result of pushing buttons on this Balanded defi platform, I qualify for an airdrop on a new defi platform, worth >$1k. This whole defi/crypto space is so insane, the value of my $ICX bag I was messing around with initially was much less than that. This also means I now suddenly have quite a big bag to just dump into this new platform, while the APY’s are still around 2000-4000% (so my daily return at the moment is ~10%).

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like congrats are in order.

Congrats. :)

1 Like

Haha, thanks, I’m probably only less confused as to what is going on. Basically, when a new decentralized finance (defi) platform launches there are all sorts of incentives to attract a user base. One is airdrops in the form of tokens native to the new platform, and you qualify for airdrops based on (unknown) requirements in the past. I qualified because I did stuff on the first defi platform on the same ICON network.

Another incentive is rewarding a set amount of native tokens every day to all users who make the platform work (providing liquidity, staking, borrowing), in the first month or so. Since the user base grows over time and more tokens are distributed, your return on, for example, providing liquidity diminishes, but at early times these returns are extremely high (thousands of % of annual percentage yield or APY).

I choose to dump my airdrop tokens back into the platform, providing liquidity, and over the past 24 hours through rewards I increased my amount of native tokens by 10%. At the current price of the native token, which is set by supply/demand (people buy tokens to get in on these massive returns), that 10% amounts to $150 in just my first day. And all of this originated from using a small bag of ICON worth $300.

I have no idea what you are talking about, but it sounds like congrats are in order.

Congrats. :)

2 Likes

This is um… quite a thread.

https://twitter.com/ReeseW/status/1433524984723349507

3 Likes