The Crypto Thread

I wasn’t trying to dispute your point - was just using your link as a jumping off point to ask about something I had been wondering.

I’m not gung-ho about unregulated gambling.

Good in the short term at least. I’m not sure it will be good for crypto in the long term if governments see it as a way to bypass sanctions.

1 Like

Obviously having any crypto is better than rubles right now, but I doubt much of daily life necessities take such as payment in Russia. While I’d much rather have crypto, it’s still not great for Russians holding if they want to remain in Russia. Their economy has still absolutely tanked.

Are the monkeys anti-Semitic caricatures worth 20 times the median US salary?

No. Only like 15. They took a little bit of an hit. Good time to buy tbh. Severely undervalued

To be clear, the bulls agree with this? I mean, it validates the claim there is a legitimate use - evading sanctions aimed at a genocidal psychopath in control of thousands of nukes!

https://twitter.com/robaeprice/status/1498380415781924864?s=21

1. ruble tanks by design of the sanctions
  2. regular people can’t escape economic devastation
  3. forcing them to rise up and coup putin because they’re starving now and have incentive. we’re helping them by giving them incentives now
  4. notch another victory for the west. no genocide! no genocide! you’re the genocide!
1 Like

No, I do not think all Russian citizens should lose access to crypto exchanges. In fact I believe Russian citizens are victims of the current crisis. (Along with Ukrainians LDO).

I do support KYC regulations for crypto exchanges and targeted investigations into people/funds connected with Russian government & military.

To be clear, you think regular citizens should be subject to asset seizure due to actions of their armed forces?

1 Like

Freezing monetary accounts of common Russian folk is evil and you should feel bad if you think it’s ok.

Makes me slightly more skittish about crypto long-term depending on how this war plays out. Binance already banned in the US anyways though I thought.

Crypto bros definitely very concerned about (checks notes) ordinary Russians, who definitely own and transact in cryptocurrency, while hand waving away the obviously absurd libertarian bro ideology fueling the fake money fad.

Also help me understand how ordinary Russian people are doing this? They use rubles to buy Bitcoin then…??? They need rubles to buy shit in Russia! How is crypto useful to them?

1 Like

What if (for example), they received a request to freeze Russian accounts over $50mm in value until certain verifications were made?

Millions of dollars in crypto have been donated to Ukraine, perhaps they do care?

Dude I posted this upthread:

https://twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1497922588491792386

“Sabotaging ordinary users” is what we are talking about here. If the problem is Russian officials and oligarchs transacting in BTC, then US intelligence could provide exchanges with the specific wallets they would like to be frozen.

I’m not even arguing the merits, just that if the war escalates companies that aren’t marching in lockstep invite unfriendly regulation.

While I agree with your conclusion, isn’t the Binance bro correct that if Bitcoin intermediaries froze oligarch accounts that it would “fly in the face of the reason why crypto exists”? This is like argument #1 for Bitcoin.

It would be nice if the bulls (yes that includes you) would just admit you’re speculators looking to make a quick buck off this pump and dump bullshit instead of making these truly insane arguments that cryptocurrency is good, actually.

i think you’re conflating two points here. nobody’s defending oligarchs. that’s like a super small percentage of crypto users. if you ban all russian people from exchanges it’s gonna fuck with >1000x as many regular folks potentially wanting to gtfo of [insert failed state here] without like swallowing diamonds or something

ok boomer

1 Like