The Crypto Thread

https://twitter.com/ITYSL/status/1495594473887518722?t=Rf1Tvi0S2AarQKjKCz3Qiw&s=19

3 Likes

The cheapest “buy it now” price listed. If you want to get into the weeds on this, floors can be a bit misleading sometimes, but for a collection like mfers which has been appreciating and has seen plenty of sale volume, the floor will be accurate.

While I was typing the above posts goofy’s bot sniped a monkey for thousands of dollars less than it is worth. It’s good to be goofy.

1 Like

Tens of thousands less

1 Like

No, most sales are conducted by people making a “buy it now” listing and a buyer agreeing. There are also auctions and offers but they are less common ways of sales happening. If you accept an offer you pay fees, is one annoyance, while if a buyer buys your listing they pay the fees.

Right, but I decided to dial back the money waving :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I keep deleting my posts thinking I should just google more. But then you keep replying lol. Thanks.

1 Like

Update on banking regulation:

2 Likes

Really good video on digital art for generative NFTs…

Not to pick on Formula72 here, because I think this is just typical, but the dynamic is fascinating to me, because people will believe anything rather than believe that there are thousands of people in the world willing to pay thousands of dollars for apparently worthless JPEGs. And we’ve all been through this, like you talked about that moment on TopShot of being like “wait, people want this shit for hundreds of dollars? OK”. Here is a list of things people are willing to consider rather than believe the truth:

• This is all completely a scam and everyone involved is brainwashed somehow
  • These listings are fake, someone is orchestrating a grand conspiracy
  • These listings are fake and like 1,000 people are collectively, simultaneously deciding to execute the same conspiracy
  • I am having a stroke
  • Does anyone smell toast?
  • You think that’s AIR you’re breathing now?

I get it. I have been there. And if you’ve ever wondered how people believe incredibly implausible stuff like QAnon, it’s because they are faced with a set of facts equally unacceptable to their worldview. It’s fascinating how far people will go to reject challenges to their worldview. I am not looking down on people here, I’m no different.

7 Likes

I think with mfers in particular… well for starters, to drop the trolling typical of this thread, I think absolutely nobody in the Discord held this collection during its meteoric rise. People minted it, but it cratered down near zero and when it started to rise people were like OMG 0.12 ETH, AMAZING DEAL. Being able to unload assets you thought were hopeless on a random pump is a regular occurrence, but almost never do these previously-dead assets rise into the stratosphere.

I think mfers reflects a sense of humour in the NFT community. From what I know of the collection, it was created as a joke by a comedian. The sort of slacker aesthetic and the pointlessness of the collection have become assets among a community who feel it represents their lack of any driving force. The creators of BAYC have explicitly said in interviews that they selected “Bored” for the same reason - i.e. we conquered the world, we got rich off crypto, now what? All of this is just my opinion, but I think you can look at NFT collections as a vote of confidence in what the crypto community wants their aesthetic to be. I bought OnChainMonkey because it was founded by a team of people who are well-known successful people in the crypto community, because it has some uniqueness as the first collection residing ALL ON CHAIN IN ONE TRANSACTION (which is a meme at this point), and because it’s associated with a nascent crypto charity, MetaGood. That’s the aesthetic I’ve gone for. BAYC is more the “yeah I own three yachts, fuck you” kind of feel and mfers are more like the slacker-rich. It’s that sense of cultural identity, I think, that drives people to gamble on these things, just as Tesla stock ownership can be as much a cultural statement as it is an investment.

5 Likes

Doubt.jpg

What’s the thesis on why the discord bought mfers (if they did. The wallet I follow didn’t have any)? Manks? There’s 10 million “projects”. What criteria are you using to continue your wafflecrushing while the normies get rug pulled on cryptonazipigs?

Read my post two above for some amount of explanation on this.

To descend into poker analogies, while there are criteria used to determine what hands you raise, call, or fold in given situations, there is no coherent answer to the question “what criteria does one use to raise, call and fold”, there are intersecting ideas and the skill is to understand the correct way those things should balance against each other.

Well that’s like the whole game

The crypto crowd loves to compare NFTs to stonks. Trying to pick stonks to outperform an index fund is pretty lol. When there’s a glut of projects and scams, how are you making these god tier calls?

The games that live up to their trailers these days take ~4, years and $150 million to make at a minimum. With a team of hundreds of employees.

1 Like

It’s a much softer market than giant MC stocks for obvious reasons. Nobody is picking 100% but some of us have gotten pretty good at it

People much more knowledgeable than I could give you a ton of well thought out reasons why many projects, like Onchain Monkey (for example) would most likely be a very successful project. It’s not like a total guessing game. But whether or not that’s god-tier knowledge is debatable I guess :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

GALA games is allocating $5 billion toward its metaverse platform this year.

1 Like

A tale of competence, in two acts.

Act 1:

Act 2:

1 Like

Gala games is also run by one of the founders of Zynga. I think that guy might know something about launching successful games.