The Crypto Thread

Awice says he’s loading up on these hot girl NFTs.

https://twitter.com/DCLBlogger/status/1483439315480948736?t=Elm83xghve8GZTAE98h79g&s=19

Yes I saw that

Seems like a big deal. That’s Call of Duty, Overwatch, Starcraft, Candy Crush, Warcraft, and a ton of other hugely successful, wildly popular games worldwide.

This is where Microsoft buys up a bunch of companies to sort of be positioned for the metaverse if it actually takes off, but with no intention to actually innovate in the space.

Activision was plagued by scandals lately so they might have been motivated sellers.

Game companies are hellish places to work, death march projects lasting years, often toxic cultures. I’ve never heard a good thing about any of the big ones.

Activision might be the worst of the bunch.

That‘s at least two giant albatrosses around their neck. Still worth 70B.

I know people who worked at Riot Games who had nothing but terrible things to say about it.

That’s generally when Microsoft steps in.

1 Like

Pro gamers will now be getting LinkedIn recruiters spamming for Blackwater via Call of Duty.

My female cousin was one of those harassed, and relayed some appalling stories of her time there.

2 Likes

Between 1995 and 2004, Blizzard released 7 games:
Warcraft 2
Diablo
The Lost Vikings 2
Starcraft
Diablo 2
Warcraft 3
World of Warcraft

I didn’t play TLV, but those other games were 5-star genre-defining mega hits. That’s a gaming company-decade unlikely to ever be surpassed in quality and breadth.

Then they merged with Vivendi and later Activision. Now they just make highly profitable, well-polished turds designed to suck money out of their customers as efficiently as possible. Yay capitalism.

2 Likes

Overwatch is an all-time great game. The problem right now is that they announced Overwatch 2 in late 2019 and it might not come out until next year. In the meantime, they’ve basically stopped adding content to Overwatch, plowing their resources into the sequel,

I knew the “cosby suite” guy, used to play everquest with him. He was a total prick. Couldn’t believe he got a job there and was there for 10 years.

I bailed on this thread for a bit, but the discord is frankly too much so … I am interested in purchasing the XCH token on the Chia network. Anyone watching this project, interested, or can give some advice on this? It doesn’t trade on coinbase and the exchanges it does don’t seem to want US users.

There are instructions on acquiring this coin but I’m pretty unfamiliar with crypto outside of exchanges, so am hoping for some advice.

My interest was sparked by this article. There are other carbon tracking distributed ledger projects in the works but this one seems to have some support from the UN climate program and is working with Costa Rica on tracking climate emissions.

Two other emissions tracking projects I’ve seen are build on secondary ethereum networks.

Has the chat in this thread improved from since the thread was renamed?
I spoke with some folks closely watching this space this week. There is growing interest in using distributed ledger tech to track emissions up and down the supply chain for the biggest industries. The “crypto has no uses” line more and more seems like an incredibly limited and silly view.

ETA:They were at COP26 but the primary partnership seems to be World Bank.

Tracking carbon is incredibly difficult. However there are multiple independent standards that do an okay job of tracking carbon, with the challenges being more about international rules and subjectivity rather than trust and verification.

As with every crypto project. You need to start with the question of “why is this better than someone with a database or a spreadsheet”… how does this project pass that?

Thanks. Yes, the idea in tracking emissions along international supply chains via ledger tech is that the carbon can’t be separated from the product, essentially. My understanding is that carbon accounting in supply chains is extremely complicated and these can get lost as products change hands. Governments and corporations need more accurate accounting for a variety of reasons.

The folks I talk to are people who know what they’re doing and talking about, but I’m not saying there are not existing and often-used products to do this already.

But are the problems about tracking and reaching a consensus on facts? Or are they about measuring, agreeing on rules, declaring, etc.

For reference. I’m not an expert in blockchain. I am doing a masters in energy and just completed a major project on carbon credits.

To expand on this. This seems a problem where you need some kind of external verification and agreement on rules anyway. I.e. theres already a need for a central player.

What specific problem is a ledger better at than a standards organisation with a database?

Awice is loading up on hot girl NFTs (or else he’s just hyping them, seems like this could be an act). Still posting Pepes in 20-dickety22.

https://twitter.com/awice/status/1483701390019301387?s=21

https://twitter.com/awice/status/1483675674284261376?s=21

2 Likes