The Crypto Thread

You would still need some system that kept track of who owned what. So the answer is yes but it would be centralized vs. decentralized (mostly).

At least one of the guys who founded that Zynga thing just mentioned up thread seems pretty convinced they’re beneficial.

OK but in the specific example of the game it has to be centralized regardless because if you’ve got like a unique weapon it has to be acknowledged by the game that it’s in your inventory and the game software has to enable the appropriate animations and stats. Avatars, gifs, memes, whatever, OK, I might think it’s dumb but I guess I get it. Game stuff that has to be centralized regardless I still don’t understand. The game has to keep track of the items regardless. The NFT just adds complexity on top of that.

niftygateway.com

1 Like

also TopShot and Eternal.

Well yes the game code would have to be compatible with the skins in some way for them to work. I’m not sure that disproves my point that you would be better off with a “NFT” skin vs. a regular one.

If you want to do anything with your token, it’s going to have to be in your wallet. If you just want an ape gif, you can keep/sell it on nifty.

If Coinbase wins the coming NFT marketplace wars we probably get to that point. OpenSea is a pretty fly by night operation that really only got to where they are by being in the right place at the right time. I’m pretty sure almost everyone is rooting for someone to overtake them in the near future.

Right, I guess it just comes down to how much work is integrating an existing NFT marketplace with a game compared to building an internal marketplace. Maybe the former is much easier and cheaper, I have no idea.

Everything will look like topshot eventually. You don’t even know you’re on the blockchain and can just use your debit card. It’s one thing dapper has gotten right.

1 Like

Man that’s a long wait to cash out your options.

I love my avatar. I’d probably pay $50 to be able to use it. But I wouldn’t pay anything to keep others from using it.

building a forum-posting brand around a corporate mascot that isn’t paying you shit is so web2

2 Likes

NFTs could enable things like one-of-a-kind skins/avatars that are accepted across many different games. That still sounds lame to me but you can see how it’s something some lunatics would be prepared to pay a lot of money for. E-sports players are celebrities now, imagine if you could buy the skin worn by a retired player, someone out there is willing to pay a lot for that.

The reason I’ve changed my mind on NFTs a bit is that like, I mean you can look at people paying 10K for an Ottey Otter or whatever the fuck and be like “lol crypto bros” and that is partly the correct answer. But to repeat myself from upthread, it would have been a mistake to look at people playing text-based MMOs for 8 hours a day and getting married in EverQuest and so on in like 1998 and just be like HAHAHAHA NERDS. Correct was to see that as a harbinger of an eventual encroachment into the mainstream.

The fact that nerds are flipping out over cartoon collectables which amount to a status symbol looks similar to me. A method of enforcing tradeable internet-wide uniqueness or scarcity is valuable, even if I can’t describe exactly what is going to be done with it, just like the capabilities of the internet itself were obviously valuable even if I couldn’t specifically predict World of Warcraft or Facebook.

6 Likes

Here’s a dreamer for ya (10:25):

The thing he’s saying here doesn’t make much sense though. You still aren’t going to be able to take things out of Fortnite and put them into Mario Kart and NBA2K. Those are three different IPs using three different game engines and are owned by three different corporations. Nintendo isn’t gonna let people hot swap their 4chan Hitler 'stache Mario into Mario Kart off the blockchain (Epic might). I’m also not even sure why this is a thing adult manchildren think they want, but the important thing to know is that they do and will pay for it.

https://twitter.com/MoltisantiThots/status/1385626589082292227

4 Likes

So, basically conspicuous consumption that can be displayed online.

Maybe, but it also might be like baseball cards, which surged for a while and then cratered. I don’t know, I always thought baseball cards were dumb too, even when my friends had 12 binders full of them worth tens of thousands of dollars back when I was eleven years old or whenever.

Honestly, the apes make waaaaaay more sense than most crypto stuff precisely because of this reason.

quick someone say beanie babies

at this point, if you tried and still don’t get why nfts are a thing you are a moron.

you can be like me where the thought of losing large amount of money on otterly otters after seeing douches like bj bathe in dom perignon is so painful you find yourself looking from the outside sad and jealous. (don’t be like me)

you can be like nbz and say i don’t care about monetary things i got my values

you can think the market is overvalued and will go down therefore it’s not the right time to invest

but if you’re still like ‘right click lol’ just give up.

6 Likes