The Crypto Thread

If they gain control of 51% or more total hashrate.

2 Likes

The libertarian bros want to get rid of fiat money and go back to the gold standard. Or, in the case, of crypto, create the digital equivalent of gold and base the value of currency off of that. They see crypto as a way to neuter the Federal Reserve, taking away the power of government to manage the economy through various tools made easier by central banking.

Even if they aren’t accomplishing what they desire, they are helping to build and strengthen anti-government sentiment on the right. Crypto-billionaires are going to be the new Koch brothers, funding ideological libertarian political efforts and making the world a worse place.

Right. Libertarians have weird hangups about money and inflation and especially the Federal Reserve. Satoshi created an elegant solution with cryptomoney that deflates and goes around the Fed. Turns out no one really cares about sticking it to the central banking system when they go out to buy groceries, so crypto has become a nerd toy and a vehicle for wild speculation.

Did you miss Xiaolongbao’s post? It’s all about the online version of showing off your Lambo, Hermes bag, or fancy watch to your discord buddies. Solid utility there.

El Salvador to become the new Dubai.

1 Like

Clearly there is value in NFTs. I paid like $400 for this, and as an art connoisseur I’m pretty sure I stole it.

7 Likes

The author of this article is the guy that the NFT tweeter name drops

1 Like

if you believe in hope and change and the power of americans to be better than we have been the last 50 years, and that china is going to implode soon and america will be #1 for the rest of our lives, then yeah i can see how there wouldn’t be a desire for a new global currency

and i’d probably say, like, “welcome to unstuck politics! you’re obviously very new to following politics and the news. i hope you stick around and learn a lot”

6 Likes

The truly amazing thing is how stable fiat money has been all these years, despite all the libertarian-bro complaining about 2.5% annual inflation.

1 Like

Also, all the overwhelming evidence that hard money (gold standard/dollar pegs) has been a complete disaster over and over again.

1 Like

what about a jpeg of 2000 new global currencies?

6 Likes

Yeah, I’m still gonna bet on goldbug libertarians being wrong once again about monetary theory, although BTC constantly mooning makes me question my logic.

3 Likes

Can you elaborate ?

Probably a bad month to deliver this take.

The most widely used currencies right now run on a proof of work consensus method, which involves all the very wasteful mining. Most of the newer ones use a proof of stake model which uses less than 1% of the electricity the first generation coins use for much higher transaction numbers. The 2nd most used currency is shifting over to this method soon.

Even if Bitcoin stays dominant and never switches (I’m honestly not sure it can), it will be under much more efficient layers or side chains or whatever to cope with this. The current energy use isn’t sustainable from any point of view and will not last. It is hurting the networks themselves and preventing them from scaling. Currencies that can’t adapt will simply fail because they will be too expensive to use.

1 Like

idk, that stuff is way above my pay grade. I do know that small stakes players like me are pretty much completely priced out of the Ethereum ecosystem right now. If they don’t make substantial progress towards 2.0 by this winter I think it’s going to lose its dominance to some other network(s).

Can’t people just make a proof of stake stablecoin pegged to Bitcoin?

Basically already exists.

https://medium.com/coinmonks/tokenized-bitcoin-comparison-of-different-approaches-18d30eea8c76

1 Like

I assumed it did. I just don’t know how popular it is.

It’s quite popular because you need the token version to stake btc for yield farming or lending.