The Crypto Thread

Deleting bc goofy already covered it.

Interesting article describing why bitcoin mining might lead to another Texas power grid shutdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/gizmodo.com/bitcoin-miners-are-flocking-to-texas-as-grid-operator-w-1848103092/amp

ā€œBloomberg reports that the new power demands for crypto mining in Texas could reach around 5,000 megawatts over the next two yearsā€”around twice the yearly electricity demand for all of Austin in 2020. That means that creaky old grid could become the home for 20% of the worldā€™s bitcoin network by the end of next year, up from between 8 to 10 percent now.ā€

That seemsā€¦ not good

My initial thought is that it would be good, because all they would need to do to free up the electricity used for mining is raise the price enough to make it unprofitable when demand spikes.

More crypto-rich poker players here would be cool too.

If bitcoin mining continues to draw crazy power and that demand is a problem (it isnā€™t met by green or cheap electricity, and hopefully both) ā€¦ btc mining right now seems like the definition of a flexible load, meaning it could participate in utility demand response programs and earn revenues there. Iā€™ve seen papers discussing btc miners as an energy resource on grids ā€¦

eventually, maybe, potentially ā€¦ it becomes less flexible because btc prices incorporate utility dr programs ā€¦ and then youā€™ve created a new kind of energy services market?

Alright Goofy, my wife is ready to gamble our moneyā€¦ I mean, invest wisely, and become a UP zillionaire. Where do I start?

About a year ago

2 Likes

I didnt say when. Who are you, Matt Amodio?

2 Likes

the problem is you canā€™t really half-ass it. iā€™ve tried and failed and even though iā€™m objectively stupid, i think itā€™s hard for anyone. those guys are like all in on that crap and also willing to lose on a lot of dumb projects to hit the bigger ones.

1 Like

Following closely because I woke up today and decided I also want to be a UP zillionaire.

2 Likes

if the top UPā€™ers there want to start a nft ponzi fund of sorts iā€™d be happy to transfer the remaining of my net worth and let them cut whatever profit % they want.

problem is that they are all doing coke on beetlejuice yacht and they donā€™t need us

9 Likes

I mean, people went nuts when loot box mechanics got popular. Multiple countries passed laws banning such

So I saw that this hits Beta in 4 days. Any info about it from the zillionaire club?

I havenā€™t paid attention to NFTs because my impression was itā€™s stupid sports cards. Dumb games and degenerate gambling is much more enticing.

thats an impressive amount of not paying attention.

2 Likes

Looks like its gone from .04 to .32 since early September

This is literally me quoting you from our chat while adding that iā€™m stupid, which i assume is the the ā€œveryā€ in very good.

7 Likes

I get that. Im ready to put considerable time into it.

I obviously have MUCH to learn, but I tend to be a fast learner. This may be a fad, it may be the wave of the future, but its hot now and that matters.

Ill reach out to Josh, thabks.

2 Likes

Venture capitalists throw money at everything, knowing most of the projects will fail. You only need a couple big wins to make it all worthwhile. Trying to find the one coin or NFT thatā€™s going to make you 10,000X is probably not going to work out for most people.

Also, the crypto world is absolutely enormous. There are many other potentially lucrative parts of it beside the current (past?) NFT craze. There are lots of steaking opportunities where you can get double (or even triple) digit APY returns for locking up your holdings in fairly respectable alt coins, in addition to whatever happens to their underlying value. If youā€™re brave you can try liquidity pools which can offset very high risk with very high returns. You can also hedge those risks in the options markets.

The place to start is diving in with a modest deposit and go exploring. CoinMarketCap.com is an excellent resource.

3 Likes

See you got it, now open up your brain hole Richie Rich