The Crypto Thread

Hmm he does seem like a douche from that screenshot I’ll give you that.

3 Likes

I’m imagining a business coach in a sweatsuit with a whistle yelling encouragements at a guy sitting at a desk answering emails but it’s probably even stupider than that

That is petty theft. If somebody steals your $350 rug, that’s heartbreaking but it’s just a misdemeanor in most states. Obviously police aren’t going to devote resources to that regardless of how moral or corrupt they may be. If someone steals a $1M painting from a museum, that shit is getting reported directly to the FBI’s Art Theft Program. They are not the same level of thing.

In this case, it’s a cybercrime ring orchestrating grand theft, and so whatever laws apply to that still apply here. As I’m sure you know, there are plenty of laws on the books regarding theft and stolen property such as possession / receipt of stolen property, which can be a felony if you knowingly take receipt of such items. Beyond that, there are other questions of law like whether a downstream receiver of that property who was acting in good faith even has valid claim to title. If someone stole A MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS from me, I would absolutely be trying to use all of this to my advantage.

The actual stakeholders with legal teams locked this up quickly:

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454892316200562692

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454867066981216259

Lol at publicly and proudly claiming that he wants to negotiate with the thieves. If anyone else does that they’re admitting to a crime, but not sure what kind of bad outcomes it might lead to for the original property owner. “Let me know if you are trying to commit a felony!” Sure bro.

Not enough lulz for crypto bros who think BLOCKCHAIN > state and federal law:

https://twitter.com/Asmodean_/status/1455109339568615426

And a final round of lulz for the scammers who decided to hold onto a non-fungible thing that can’t be broken up and laundered through a million crypto wallets instead of flipping it immediately for instant ETH. Even the Ohtani cube scammer on Wax knew to dump it instantaneously for a fraction of FMV to get coins.

2 Likes

The point is that crypto bros claim that this is just as real as any other property (see real estate thread) while simultaneously believing that the law shouldn’t apply because it’s on BLOCKCHAIN. Check out the post that I quoted which thought that NFT marketplaces blocking the sales of these items “completely invalidated the concept of blockchains” (lol) or Hbob whining about LIZ saying crypto should be regulated. They legitimately think this is some kind of self-governing sovereign citizen technology that they are the leaders of and should be outside the scope of legal jurisdictions.

3 Likes

I have a whole entire thread for this to avoid mucking up this thread too much for people who just want to do some crypto hustling.

leaders of and outside the scope of legal jurisidictions in the real world is… those fucked up places where boys get thrown out before they hit 18 so the creeps can marry as many girls as possible

Old news, but maybe relevant here …

The Unstuck NFT discord has now made a collective 250k off the McRib NFT

• True
  • False
  • Bastard

0 voters

Riverman

1h

I don’t know when, it could be 10 years or more, but it’s not going to end well for the crypto bros.

from the NFL thread, in case anyone wanted to know if now was a buying opportunity or not

3 Likes

It’s easy for me to imagine why people might be more sympathetic to (yet another) DeFi scam as opposed to some rube coughing up the keys to his gifs. The former is a technical attack vector and affects many people at once, whereas the latter is one annoying donk getting taken by an unsophisticated scheme. My experience reading about these things is that there’s a ton of victim blaming in the latter cases (on discord and Twitter), and then those same people tend to get rustled if there’s an intervention because BLOCKCHAINS. That Tweet I quoted wasn’t a unique find–the reason I posted it is because it’s the same argument I’ve read ad nauseam.

Bitcoin is like the new “internet cash with a limited supply” in the fears of heading into an electronic cashless society.

So you get the gold bugs, the rich who want to hide their money, and illegal businesses all on board!

Yeah, it rules

3 Likes

Over 1 trillion dollars worth!

1 Like

now more than ever…

I think there is a distinction between an intervention by third parties stopping blockchain transactions and holding the scammers legally liable. I don’t think anyone is opposed to the scammers being punished (if they are somehow caught), including possibly being forced to return the money.

I think what people are opposed to if third parties taking actions to try to limit how the blockchain works. The whole point of the blockchain is that it’s decentralized and third parties are not supposed to be able to control it. So when OS blocks a sale of the stolen NFTs people are upset because they fear the slippery slope that OS and other third parties will try to exert more control over what transactions are allowable on the blockchain. Yeah, this one was a clear scam, but do you really trust OS to be the arbiter of these type of decisions.

As for the victim blaming, the internet if full of douches and crypto is probably a bit worse in this regard. I’d bet if you read twitter/reddit regarding people that got caught by Nigerian scams or similar, you’d probably see similar victim blaming.

Buy low and get Tucker Carlson to do a story on it.

2 Likes

It’s going to be huge when they start using ̶b̶e̶a̶n̶i̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶b̶i̶e̶s̶ NFTs in catalytic converters.

I would’ve guessed in the NFT world that would increase the prices
should’ve stuck with the sexism I guess