The C-Word

Love Actually is a documentary

1 Like

Patriots.

Maybe among a subset of the population 40 years ago.

It’s still a thing though, right?

Unless novelty songs about sausage rolls got to #1 the past two years organically (which honestly would be more disturbing).

Sure, but pop music is much less important now than then, and the official charts even more so.

1 Like

It blows my mind that in a community of people who mostly think of themselves as progressive that we are seriously debating this in 2020.

The principle that is being ignored is intent vs. impact. It doesn’t matter if you don’t intend for the word to be hurtful, it does in fact have a hurtful impact on many hearers. Your “right” to say the word doesn’t trump the wrong you are perpetrating on the hearers.

It’s that simple. None of the arguments I’ve seen in this thread or elsewhere are persuasive to me in the face of that principle.

6 Likes

How do you feel about use of the word in literature and cinema?

This place is getting really fucking ban-happy really fucking quickly.

1 Like

I don’t think the full implications of banning certain words have been thought through very well.

Define the scope of the ban. Spoken word? Written word? Recorded word?

It’s not about the word being moderated. MaxCut seems to be suggesting that people should be banned for using it.

You should check out Russian. It’s possible to have a conversation using nothing but swear words as nouns, verbs, and adjectives.

Incidentally, the equivalent of ■■■■■■ in Russian is also pretty widespread and not considered a misogynist insult, although I’ll defer to @zarapochka to confirm.

1 Like

In French, “con” is the same as idiot or twit. That’s how ■■■■ will end up in English, though I hope not - we are fast running out of ways to really offend people when offence is called for.

Because it’s not about you, it’s about the people who are offended by it. If you build out your ■■■■ usage rules matrix and the offended group is still as offended, then what did you accomplish exactly?

But it always has sexist overtones. That is kind of the problem with it.

Exactly. As already pointed out one could replace the derogatory name for gay people or transgender people with the c word and all the exact same defences are commonly used.

You lose nothing not using the word and cause real harm to some by doing so. This is a easy choice for most people.

This “exclusively” is from a USA perspective right? I’m American and live in the USA too, but the UK people that I know IRL use it almost as frequently as I say fuck…which is quite a bit. And just like when I’m saying motherfucker I don’t mean sexy time with mothers, when they say ■■■■ they aren’t using it as slang for female genitalia. And a good portion of the time it is being used to address someone in a friendly way. Like when the bartender gave me a free beer because she thought I was cute, then according to them, I was a “lucky ■■■■■ you ugly bastard”.

3 Likes

As Americans use it.

Because it’s not about you, it’s about the people who are offended by it.

If the people who are offended by it are offended by it because of the assumed sexist overtones, then the absence of those overtones should actually change how they feel about the usage. If it doesn’t, then whatever they’re offended by, it’s not the sexist overtones.

2 Likes

You guys are just going to keep repeating this until you believe it, huh?

Not in relation to this conversation in particular, but if you choose to respect everyone’s boundaries, you will soon find yourself fenced in to a pretty narrow fucking space, with barely room to breathe.

I suspect, as with us all, you pick and choose whose boundaries you choose to respect.

1 Like

This.