The C-Word

C word enthusiasts will have to go The Wire season 5 Spiros style and start posting images with the c word in them to avoid the filter

I say ban because it’s an ugly word used almost exclusively by terrible posters and I don’t want to lose @Will1530.

“And yet he hadn’t sense enough to take on a rich ■■■■ and get himself a change of underwear”

Henry Miller
Tropic Of Cancer

1 Like

it isn’t censoring, it’s filtering. And since the user requested this feature, I don’t think it can really accurately be called “censoring.”

Mark Twain wrote the n-word in Huckleberry Finn. Guess it’s fine for me to use in casual conversation!

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure if you run a poll about use of the n word here approximately 0% want to see it, whereas ■■■■ has a rich literary history as my quote showed.

“The sunken grey ■■■■ of the world”
Joyce (about the sky).

It’s just a pity you don’t extend your empathy for women’s feelings about a word to the disabled who might object to the sp*zz word.

It seems, in fact, that your concern about sp-z does not go nearly as far as mine about the c-word, as you haven’t even bothered to start a discussion or poll about it.

ldo because Yanks are in a huge majority here and seem not to be offended by its use.

Odd, that.

I bet you’d find a lot more introspection than you expect, and a lot less tribal rallying around an insistence on using offensive terminology.

1 Like

Back to this again.

You finding a word unacceptable because in your culture it pertains only to womanhood does not mean that others should find it unacceptable if in their culture it doesn’t pertain only to womanhood but as a swear word.

I reject your assumption of cultural hegemony.

1 Like

I believe there is a genuine in good faith feeling that some of the people from outside the US have that they are treated badly here because they are not from the US, but I think there are few if any posters here who are anti-non-USAer in any way. I also don’t expect people who disagree on this to be able to really understand each other and agree. And I think most of the hard feelings about the c-word have to do with this and nothing to do with the c-word.

I agree that the ■■■■■■ argument is probably a proxy for other deeper, apparently unresolved grievances itf that go back some way.

I differ in that I do expect allegedly cultured intelligent people to be able to grasp that words vary in meaning from one culture to another, and that people should show respect for this.

Also, I don’t really expect to understand exactly what people from UK/Ireland/other(?) mean when they say it.

Can you use the word to mean female genitalia?

What do people in England think the s-word means?

I suppose you can but it’s not a word that anyone uses for a vagina. Its use is as a swear word.

As I’ve posted at least twice itf, the great Jerry Sadowitz summed it up when he addressed it by pointing out that ■■■■■■ is a swear word and is supposed to be used as such because no woman visits her doctor and says “Doctor, I have a pain in the ■■■■■■

In American slang, the term ‘spaz’ has evolved from a derogatory description of people with disabilities

UK and Ireland[edit]

The medical term “spastic” came into use to describe cerebral palsy

Do you tell your doctor you have a pain in the cock?

No shit? Literally had no clue. Always seemed to be synonymous with uncoordinated to me. That said, it’s probably been a decade or more since I’ve said it. You learn something new everyday.

I’m sure this isn’t universally true, but when men go to the urologist they generally talk about their “penis” and not their “dick”.

It’s not hard to think that it’s rooted in “spasm” rather than the disabled.

1 Like