Being a mod or admin is intolerable, and this community is at a high risk of dying

ok nuke em then

2 Likes

His problem is assuming the mods are faultless and handled this all beautifully just because he somehow managed to avoid coming across it. (Meanwhile, several other posters have said that this drama is killing the forum.)

It sounds like different people can have different perspectives and opinions.

And even alternate facts.

Jbro, people aren’t taking your side because most people feel the mods do a good job, act in good faith, are integral part of the forum, and will defer to their judgment even if they don’t get things right every time.

I mean even if you were wronged, or thought people were wronged, this constant stream of posting and whining just comes off as pathetic and annoying. Nobody likes the guy that never shuts up.

7 Likes

Let’s take a look at the thread after it was bumped.

This post was not hidden. (Maybe someone will flag it now that I have mentioned it and it will be hidden,)

This post was hidden.

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/the-c-word/3572/521

This post was not hidden.

Neither was this one.

Or this one.

I generally agree with this statement:

I think it applies to the pro c-word people and not just the anti side, as I assume jalfrezi sees it.

I also think you are misreading what sky said.

Skydiver: “Stop it.”
Jalfrezi “Stop what, exactly?”

As I pointed out early, she threatened to hand out bans for using the word in flagged posts. She never threatened to ban people for using it in unflagged posts. People don’t want an automatic ban for any use of the word. That doesn’t mean that all use of it should be allowed. It’s not some sort of “get out of jail free” card where any use of the C-word is alright and trumps rules against trolling or excessive forum drama.

2 Likes

Maybe becauase these are longtime posters who, at this point, have known the mods for over a decade and trust their judgment?

5 Likes

I haven’t followed the ins and outs of the moderation controversies. But most successful blogs/forums (fora?) I read have moderation that is not generally up for discussion.

All this navel-gazing and discussing the intricacies of why one person was banned, and not another, and can I say this word, and what about this one, seems like a waste of time. Polls on these issues are not needed. If an individual mod wants to make a poll to read the room, fine. Otherwise just ban someone, and don’t feel the need to explain yourself, except maybe to inform the person what they did wrong.

I don’t know the details of how exactly this forum was founded, and whether there is a group of people with ultimate admin authority, or what. With all the voting, it seems like people want it to be a direct democracy, or an anarcho-syndicalist commune, or something.

But I think moderators should have the power to just delete posts and ban people, and not have to get into the exact reasons why in public. We’re all a bunch of nits who like to argue. It always turns into a disaster, though, when you’re allowed to argue the details of who was acting in good faith, and who wasn’t. Let the moderator decide.

If a moderator sucks, though, there has to be a way to get rid of him/her. I don’t have suggestions on that process. It’s easier on a blog with one or two people who founded the blog: if they think a moderator is good, they keep her, if not, they ditch her. At this forum, you’d probably have to vote. Maybe rotate mods, or have a mod vote once a year or something.

Just my two cents. As a lurker, the bickering about mod decisions is dumb. Temp ban/perma ban the people who cause the problems, send a short explanation, and don’t get drawn into further discussion.

12 Likes

I’m happy to have a containment thread for whining about the forums and punishing people who break containment.

1 Like

We kinda sorta had this drama contained for a while before it metastasized into multiple threads.

I stand by the sentiment. If no one will mod because being mod means you get trolled until you quit, the community dies.

What? Posts don’t get flagged until after they are posted. And someone flagging a post when the word was used in the context allowed per the results of the vote should not result in a ban, even if somebody decided to flag them. (The person flagging them is actually trolling, imo.)

What? There have been many posts made that have said precisely that Victor. Maybe you missed them?

You think I’m making up people quitting over this petty feud? You should know better dude.

Your post supports my assertions, imo.

Shouldn’t we cross that bridge when we come to it?

2 Likes

Oh, right, how could I be so foolish as to want to improve the rules before the community actually dies.

Yes, people want some version of this for the large part. I have been on record as saying this won’t work, but it’s what we have. So we should at least stick to it and eat our own dog food, as they say in tech.

1 Like

That’s literally what he’s trying to do

I mean, the first part of your statement is provably false: other people are willing to mod.

1 Like

Right, so we can’t possibly do anything until there is no one who wants to.