The beer, wine, and spirits thread

Epic Brewing makes Big Bad Baptist, which I’ve historically viewed as an excellent, widely-available, and inexpensive barrel-aged coffee stout. Now comes in cans!

But they’ve also, in the last few years, started pumping out a bunch of adjunct-laden versions. I am induced every year to buy one or more, and I’m almost universally disappointed. This one is too thin, doesn’t have that awesome cinnamon flavor that the original had, and kind of tastes like a dirty ashtray:

Fix this shit, Epic

3 Likes

Never cheered this. Hold up. I was beyond wanting a heavy beer by the time it got around to opening it.

I love it when I see a hazy with that color and lack of clarity.

An old co-worker of mine called me today and we were reminiscing about how we had a kegarator in our office with rotating hazys from local SD breweries, and then the bar across the street, the bartender would basically take requests from us and put a new hazy on tap every other week. And then comp most of our bill. That was 2 years ago. Felt like forever though.

1 Like

That is the absolute perfect looking beer to me. A beautiful haze without the murk.

1 Like

Absolutely insane you were pouring BCBS at the end of a work day lol.

4 Likes

So you’re telling me UP should open a brewery? Because I’m in!

7 Likes

The boss of my boss flew in from corporate to visit. And he knew we had a kegarator and didn’t care because our office was killing it and outselling every other office in the company. We put a new keg in on Monday. Big boss shows up on Wednesday. My boss picks him up from the airport, arrives at the office and since it’s 3pm it’s beer time, ofc. We’re like, we just got a new keg a couple of days ago! We’ll pour you one. Half way through pouring the first glass, the keg was killed. He’s like, I thought you said you just got the keg. Ummmmmmm, maybe we got it last week, it’s been busy, time flys. Let’s go to the bar across the street.

7 Likes

The AOC - a spicy mocha stout in honor of her Twitter dunks
The Biden - a light beer that really sucks after you see all the other options, but is a lot better than the shitty alternative you’ve had for the past 4 years
The Democratic Legislation - It could have been good, but everyone just kept insisting on watering it down
The About Unstuck - Bitter as fuck and just about everyone hates it, but fpr some reason it’s really popular with a small segment of the population who won’t shut up about it

10 Likes

@BestOf

2 Likes

I love Dogfish 60 but Dogfish 90 tastes like crap

Why did you ever leave this job?

2 Likes

Not that your post has all that much to do with it, but this story did make me think of my wedding, where we did a lot of DIY on the booze. My brother brewed the beer, an IPA, and what he called a “tripel-dubbel,” a Belgian-inspired brew that he first made in advance of March Maddness. What your post reminded me of was the contraption he borrowed for the IPA, which has a name I don’t recall, but that is basically a pool filter stuffed with fresh hops in the middle of the line en route to the tap so that the beer gets bathed in fresh hops on the way to your glass. Lower tech, but I would argue more delicious.

1 Like

But just think about how high their STONKS could have gone if you stayed!

1 Like

Dogfish head called something like this called a Randall

We had one at our restaurant that we’d use one a week and it was always a massive disaster and would take forever to defoam if it worked at all and none of our customers gave a shit anyways and ended up being a huge waste. Sorry captain buzzkill here.

And ya I’ve mentioned this before but we would get a free shifter beer every day after work and I would drink whatever the best or freshest IPA was every day until the keg kicked or we got something better. My new job gives me free spindrift soda water so that’s cool I guess.

4 Likes

The silliest thing about my wedding booze situation is that we left about 1/3 of the wine, which was almost all the red wine, at my wife’s house without taking it to the reception, and almost no one cared. The homebrew beer and the custom cocktails we created ourselves based on our own liqueur creations were good enough that ordering wine was almost uncouth.

Yes! I think it’s that. The one my brother got for my wedding wasn’t half that sophisticated looking. It was a wooden table with a tap coming out the top with a line out the bottom with something like a pool filter in the middle stuffed with hops.

I actually think in a restaurant or bar situation, it’d take so much fussing to be good as to hardly be worth it, but for a few hours at a wedding? Pretty great.

Reminds me, many moons ago La Conner Brewing here in WA did a “dry-hopped” IPA where they would jam a couple fresh hop flowers into the bottle along with the beer. It was good but a pita because you had to strain the hop chunks out before you drank it.

1 Like

The building where I worked at my last job had rotating taps too which was pretty cool. Not that I often wanted to drink after or during work but it was still nice when a favorite showed up. Usually a pretty decent local selection, with one cheaper beer, occasionally mixing it up with something from elsewhere (like we got Abita Purple Haze once, which I hadn’t had in years).

25 degrees isn’t so bad with sunshine and no wind!

6 Likes

Bernie mittens ITT

2 Likes