The beer, wine, and spirits thread

Update: It turns out that I’ve probably lost some of my desire for high-ABV beers, but it is not universal!

2 recent BANGERS that I was delighted to finish:

Experimentation will continue…

4 Likes

That KBS variant was probably my favorite beer of 2020. It’s so damn good.

1 Like

Damn, I just saw this at the big liquor store in Denver this weekend but I didn’t get one. (Mostly because I have enough beer and I’ve become kinda burned out on heavy beers.)

1 Like

Big fan too, the chocolate dominates the beer and I think it’s wonderful.

1 Like

Following up on this - I read that article goofyballer posted and it describes the Herradura Ultra as

Herradura Ultra goes one step further in altering the cristalino by adding agave syrup to make it sweeter and more appealing to non-traditional tequila drinkers.

and says it’s listed at 35%. But I checked my bottle (I kept it because it came with a fancy display case) and it’s listed as 40%. So maybe whatever I got (I think I got this bottle in 2015) is different than what they make now.

Picked up 4 different super fresh ipas from bottlecraft including this one and a hazy mosaic from burgeon, hop fu west coast ipa from north park brewing co, and a ddh dipa from humble sea brewing in Santa Cruz

I have a nice liquor store near me where you can get pretty much anything but a lot of it sits for months so I’m glad I finally went to a real craft beer store.

5 Likes

Yeah all of these looked good so I had to get one. I drink beer from like 4 breweries and don’t know much of anything outside San Diego so this was a stretch for me haha

2 Likes

starting in one minute pliny the younger going on sale online here

there are probably restrictions I don’t know details yet just found out

2 Likes

wait I can’t read this is actually tomorrow. Good trial run, good trial run

3 Likes

Do they package these with any insulation or anything? Thinking of having some shipped to my friend in Tahoe and have him send them to me but it was -8 this morning here. Worried about them freezing. I could have him hold off until forecast is warmer too I suppose.

Mixed results tonight:
Three Floyds Barrel-Aged Blot Out the Sun

I finished this with no problem, but it wasn’t nearly as enjoyable as the BANGERS I enjoyed recently. It’s fine, but it’s a little more “roasty” (or even ashy if you wanted to be negative), while I prefer stouts on the sweeter end of the spectrum. I guess I’m closer to a pastry boy at heart.

3 Likes

friendly bump / kentucky derby trumpet guy for any california Pliny the Younger stalkers

12-bottle mixed case (4 of the younger, 2 each of four others) goes online at 11am PST, very likely gone in a hurry

sorry prana not sure about this, though it’s true RR says the reason they don’t ship more widely is because of quality. That said in CA the handful of times I’ve had stuff shipped (including Russian River) it’s always packed really well. I don’t remember the insulation situation but tbh would only be worried about stuff getting too hot in Aug/Sep (I’m in SF)

1 Like

lol sold out after waiting to check out.

So I totally missed this, but I’m fairly certain there are laws that prevent CA–>IL shipping so I don’t feel too bad.

i just noticed this and sold out obv.

i tried it last year in my local store but wasn’t really able to appreciate it yet.

as someone who really only enjoys ipa’s, i wish breweries would make a better job showing exactly when the beer was bottled. i look like a moron in the store staring at the cans from every angle trying to find it.

1 Like

lol shoot it was sold out literally three seconds after it went online, I knew five people who were trying to buy and we were all hitting refresh like konami track and field; all of us successfully had it in our carts within seconds and were put in the line, one of the people got it and four of us came up empty. I mean please the hype for this stuff is dumb and I’d rather try it on draft anyway (cue AESOP) but the Elder just really hits my palate right and I was just curious

1 Like

your amateur friends clearly never tried to buy cool cats packs.

2 Likes

Fuck I missed out while hitting refresh but miraculously my buddy who lives in the Bay Area and who I’ve visited every year for the last 6 years which included a few visits to Russian river bought me a case as a gift because I didn’t visit this year because of covid, awesome

1 Like

Well it’s 10:30pm on a Wednesday, so opening this is probably a bad idea:

But I recently got a memo from the dean of the business school saying he’s strongly supporting my promotion to Full Professor, which–knock on wood–makes it a 99.9% probability that it gets approved by the provost and board of trustees. The whole promotion process took close to a year, and I feel like it warrants something closer to a trip to Vegas than just a Wednesday night beer. But the trip to Vegas is obviously on hold, so I’ll take the small celebration where I can get it.

21 Likes

Full professor! Damn, I GTFO of academia when it looked like the job market was way too toxic, and I have zero regerts, but I’m still happy for the people who make it.