The beer, wine, and spirits thread

Dogfish head called something like this called a Randall

We had one at our restaurant that we’d use one a week and it was always a massive disaster and would take forever to defoam if it worked at all and none of our customers gave a shit anyways and ended up being a huge waste. Sorry captain buzzkill here.

And ya I’ve mentioned this before but we would get a free shifter beer every day after work and I would drink whatever the best or freshest IPA was every day until the keg kicked or we got something better. My new job gives me free spindrift soda water so that’s cool I guess.

4 Likes

The silliest thing about my wedding booze situation is that we left about 1/3 of the wine, which was almost all the red wine, at my wife’s house without taking it to the reception, and almost no one cared. The homebrew beer and the custom cocktails we created ourselves based on our own liqueur creations were good enough that ordering wine was almost uncouth.

Yes! I think it’s that. The one my brother got for my wedding wasn’t half that sophisticated looking. It was a wooden table with a tap coming out the top with a line out the bottom with something like a pool filter in the middle stuffed with hops.

I actually think in a restaurant or bar situation, it’d take so much fussing to be good as to hardly be worth it, but for a few hours at a wedding? Pretty great.

Reminds me, many moons ago La Conner Brewing here in WA did a “dry-hopped” IPA where they would jam a couple fresh hop flowers into the bottle along with the beer. It was good but a pita because you had to strain the hop chunks out before you drank it.

1 Like

The building where I worked at my last job had rotating taps too which was pretty cool. Not that I often wanted to drink after or during work but it was still nice when a favorite showed up. Usually a pretty decent local selection, with one cheaper beer, occasionally mixing it up with something from elsewhere (like we got Abita Purple Haze once, which I hadn’t had in years).

25 degrees isn’t so bad with sunshine and no wind!

6 Likes

Bernie mittens ITT

2 Likes

Anyone ever went on a northeast brewery road trip? I’m thinking some sort of route that includes flying into Boston and renting a car. Treehouse → Portland for Bissell + lobstah + other breweries → Vermont → fly out somewhere in Vermont?

I use to drink way too much beer, all around here, but none recently, so my input may be old.

I’m sure you’re aware but TH is not exactly close to Boston and there is not much at all going on out that way. You may want to consider flying into Hartford (BDL), go to TH, and then up to Boston/Maine. Idk if it’s much shorter but to me it would feel better than just driving up and down the Mass Pike. The new TH brewery is a pretty cool spot to hang out though.

In Portland, Allagash is my favorite brewery to tour. Last time I was up there a few years ago we did a private tour that culminated with having a couple coolship beers in the actual coolship. Super awesome experience.

No breweries worth going to in Portsmouth, but I always enjoy going to that area. It’s about halfway between Portland and Boston. Bunch of cool bars/restaurants with local brews on tap of course.

1 Like

I don’t have any experience but my sister lives in VT, she is a pretty big beer fan and Allahgash is her favorite one in that area.

Appreciate the tips. I actually did my bachelor party in Portland and had the exact same experience at Allagash. It was day 2 so I was incredibly hungover, but we took a tour and the guide ended up taking us to the aging room and hooked us up with basically unlimited amounts of their rare beers. It will forever be the greatest brewery tour I’ve ever been on. I wish I had access to Allagash White year round.

2 Likes

Treehouse is opening on the Cape this summer. That will save you the crumby slog west on the Mass Pike out to Charlton where they are now.

Also down by the Cape is Vitamin Sea.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure I’ve had some Vitamin Sea fruited beers at a beer fest, but I don’t remember exactly.

LOL we don’t have planes here.

But you’d seriously probably be better off renting the car in Boston and doing a ME/NH/VT/back to Boston loop.

And if you ever are in the area (post-COVID obviously), I would meet up for a brewery or five.

1 Like

Same here.

In the meantime, a beer swap is always on the table. Guggman Haus for Trillium?

Anytime you want. I’ll hit you, @MysteryConman, and anyone else up next release.

1 Like

I’d love that. That route seems like the better play. I forgot you lived in Vermont. Have you ever had Foley Brothers?

Yeah. I remember their Blackbeard Porter being pretty good.

Unless it’s very new and/or very small, I’ve had at least something from just about every brewer in the state.

Fun story - I met the now owner back in 2004 on Xbox Live playing Halo 2. We were in the same clan and ended up being top 5 in the world in Big Team Battle (a game mode in the game). I reconnected recently with him and can’t wait to meet him in person at the brewery on this future trip. I was 14 at the time which is crazy to think about how much has changed.

2 Likes

Damn, those Woodinvilles sound pretty good. I might see if I can get my hands on one here.