The 2020 Election: Delaying the Inevitable

Drug epidemic - national emergency.

School shootings - national emergency.

‘Turnout favours Democrats’ is thoroughly conventional wisdom, though. Even the Republicans think so; it’s the basis of most of their voter suppression antics. I don’t know to what extent it’s turned out to be bullshit (evidently to some extent) or how much of it just Covid fucking with things. I mean, voters deciding on the basis of ‘the economy’ are usually not thinking about ‘do we do more lockdowns’ etc. It’s a distorting factor for sure imo.

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1324124136055230464?s=20

2 Likes

half-assed would be a gigantic step up for me

The party of philosophical grievance champions will gladly jump the Trump ship now that it’s gone beyond abstract ambition and forces them to grapple with the real-world consequences.

Shapiro/Tucker 2020

1 Like

So Biden convinced exactly zero voters. GJGE. I’m glad he was the nominee.

3 Likes

It would help to spell out what the actual problem is repeatedly. For some reason Dems seem to think that voters know this stuff. Look at the way Trump does messaging. Get up there every single day and say “we can’t pass X because the Republicans are blocking us in the Senate”. Hammer on that over and over again, every day.

9 Likes

the hand wringing about latinos and black men reminded me of this piece from David Shor which seemed to predict the shift almost exactly right

We’ve been talking a lot about the education split among white voters. But the polling results you just referenced from South Africa suggest that education-based splits on cosmopolitanism manifest across racial and ethnic lines. Are Democrats losing ground with nonwhite, non-college-educated voters?

Yeah. Black voters trended Republican in 2016. Hispanic voters also trended right in battleground states. In 2018, I think it’s absolutely clear that, relative to the rest of the country, nonwhite voters trended Republican. In Florida, Democratic senator Bill Nelson did 2 or 3 points better than Clinton among white voters but lost because he did considerably worse than her among Black and Hispanic voters. We’re seeing this in 2020 polling, too. I think there’s a lot of denial about this fact.

I don’t think there are obvious answers as to why this is happening. But non-college-educated white voters and non-college-educated nonwhite voters have a lot in common with each other culturally. So as the salience of cultural issues with strong education-based splits increases — whether it’s gender politics or authoritarianism or immigration — it would make sense that we’d see some convergence between non-college-educated voters across racial lines.

American politics used to be very idiosyncratic, because we have this historical legacy of slavery and Jim Crow and all of these things that don’t have clear foreign analogues. But the world is slowly changing — not changing in ways that make racism go away or not matter — but in ways that erode some of the underpinnings of race-based voting. So if you look at Black voters trending against us, it’s not uniform. It’s specifically young, secular Black voters who are voting more Republican than their demographic used to. And the ostensible reason for this is the weakening of the Black church, which had, for historical reasons, occupied a really central place in Black society and helped anchor African-Americans in the Democratic Party. Among Black voters, one of the biggest predictors for voting Republican is not attending church. So I think you can tell this story about how the America-centric aspects of our politics are starting to decay, and we’re converging on the dynamics that you see in Europe, where nonwhite voters are more left wing than white voters, but where they vote for the left by like 65 to 35 percent, rather than the 90-10 split you see with African-Americans.

To be clear, if that happens, it would take a long time. But if I had to guess, I’d say young African-Americans might trend 4 or 5 percent against us in relative terms. But they’re a small percent of the Black electorate. These are slow-moving trends.

3 Likes

While a lot of this could be true. Do you really think president Pence siphons of any of the male black vote? Trump could be unique until the next populist dictator-wannabe comes a long.

In very general terms the answer is policies slightly right of Bernie and Liz, and rhetoric slightly right of Pete Buttigieg with a little tough talk and chest thumping thrown into the stump speeches.

A quick tot up and I think Biden needs less than 60% of the uncounted votes to win GA and 63% to win PA.

This is the weirdest election of all time. People are going to draw a lot of conclusions that will not be correct long term. Trump is a unicorn. There will never be another candidate like him. There likely won’t be another pandemic for a long time.

5 Likes

“The Republicans in the Senate are a disaster” x1000 times a day, not “can’t pass x because of y”, as that invokes a causal relationship too sophisticated for 50% of the electorate

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/VanityFair/status/1324097044013862914?s=19

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1324125808718450689?s=19

7 Likes

might see some Trump copycats. Consevatives everywhere going to try his playbook.

2 Likes

A co-worker of my wife is from Pittsburgh and her sister there is saying local stations there are saying PA is Biden. I have 3rd hand info here and I don’t know at all what this means are they just doing what we are and mathing it out or is even better than that @anon38180840?

:kissing_heart:

16 Likes

A lot of it will look like Danny Devito trying to emulate the career of Dwayne Johnson. Let them try.

It’s over :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:
https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/1324124136055230464?s=20

2 Likes