The 2020 Election: Delaying the Inevitable

That’s fine regarding the situation going forward. Obviously this isn’t what I expected at 6pm or 7pm yesterday, however I never doubted that Biden would prevail at any point in the night. That was never seriously in doubt for anyone looking at what vote was in and where it was in from.

So the decisions to count all in person votes on Election Day and mail in votes after has to be among the worst ideas in political history, right?

3 Likes

I’m glad I did my media blackout. My only sources were forays into the discord. It was much better hearing people talk about it on there than trying to follow the thread or sweat the news.

But um, did we win?

You’re a single person with no commitments. It’s far easier for you to be blasé about a potential Trump win than it is for someone raising a young family, for example.

and a lot of the doom and gloom itt is because a) the Senate, b) way too many people voted for Trump. I think people were expecting a strong repudiation of Trump bullshit and it’s not clear we got that at all.

5 Likes

currently having one of these for breakfast. How are you all doing?

6 Likes

Define “win”.

1 Like

No 12th creates a big incentive for political assassinations at the top, so self-interest will work in its support.

The 13th would get some support so that people can say “Look, I’m not a racist. I support the 13th Amendment. But banning race-based voting qualifications is just a step too far!”

EDIT: I considered the Third, but the support-the-troops pushback will be too strong. Hell, if the Third got proposed, the pushback might lead to the adoption of a national Quartering Act.

Some PA just dropped somewhere, Biden’s deficit down to 589k.

So going forward, rather than adding DC/PR as states, or whatever other constitutionally difficult reform, why not just send like 100k reliable Dem voters to Wyoming? I dunno, have the UC system build a satellite campus in Laramie, and make tuition free.

1 Like

Had a few of these last night into the small hours. Nice choice.

1 Like

Fair enough, but it’s natural for the people who were right to be in a mood to be a little dickish about it, especially since we won the White House.

stephanie ruhl is a dumb girl from a frat

1 Like

Jesus what a fucking night.

All I can really say is while we’re all in the pit of fucking despair about this country:

We are going to win the 2020 election.

Yes, not much will happen, we won’t get shit done, the SCOTUS is fucked, but:

We will not be pulling out of NATO and the UN.
The world will not be leaving the USD as the reserve currency.
We will no longer be heading towards banana republic fascism.

We need a complete and total reckoning about the Democratic party (and fuck all of us Nancy Pelosi is Speaker again) but, the GOP is in worse shape. They are going to implode.

In a week we will be feeling way, way better.

9 Likes

Nah, I just looked at the NYT house page which currently showed a +4 gain for the GOP and looked at a bunch of still uncalled races, where most were led by the R candidate - but it could be another case of Dem-leaning mail ballots still needing to be counted as well.

Not sure if there is a proper forecast/projection anywhere.

Not Me!

dammit I was about to joke that the third would have a good chance

The lack of unhinged tweets from the Florida Man is making me nervous.

If your goal is a smooth election that ensures all votes are properly counted and there is no confusion or implication of impropriety, then yes, it’s a terrible idea. However that is not the republicans goal. While I’m sure they were hoping for a clean Trump win, they knew a close race with Biden votes neatly segregated into challengeable piles was an outcome they wanted to be prepared for, and here we are.

You’re damn right I panicked and melted down. Polling that had us optimistic for some sort of historic repudiation of racism and bigotry was absolutely demolished, and even if we do elect Biden, it may literally be on exactly 270. To suggest that set of facts shows that people panicking and slipping into existential dread was lol silly geese is nuts. This shit is close. Maybe the closest of all time?

7 Likes