Take Me Out To The Blockchain - Digital Sports Collectibles

Maybe people are just having fun with a new hobby? I mean, I played video games last night, which was a complete waste of time except for the fact it made me happy. And I didn’t even make money doing it.

3 Likes

At these prices it would take a lot of $$. Also, I’m not sure what the end goal would be. I see no point in buying 100s of Ish Smith or similar, because long term whose going to want the card. So even if you establish a baseline that the card is now worth $40 and others adopt that (1) you’re going to have to buy a lot to keep it there as I’m sure there are thousands of people who’d be happy to dump their card and (2) when you decide to sell it’s going to re-tank the price.

It could maybe work on an expensive card with a limited float - say you pump up some series 1 from $500 to $750, but then I still don’t see the endgame.

Really, I think this is only a decent play if you think the card is undervalued and you’re happy to hold it long term.

1 Like

Yikes man. Pretty sure all of us are doing this because it’s fascinating and a fun hobby. No need to come in throwing bombs.

I fully expect to lose on a few purchases last night and thought I listed a few cards I expected to drop hard today and apparently didn’t so that’s bad but losing money overall when every pack is at worst 10x? lulz

it’s an addicting fun hobby that isn’t gonna break any of us, nobody is gonna be grinding topshot marketplace vs bots in two years or whatever.

2 Likes

Let’s not derail this thread with a Canada shitposting debate. He’s made it clear in other threads that he thinks anybody playing around with TopShot is a stupid fool and has come across as super jealous and condescending in the process. It’s a no win proposition to engage him itt.

5 Likes

he owns over 200 of them, he’s not botting that one he just likes that one for whatever reason and wants all of them.

wouldn’t mind a good serial for one since he’ll pony up for it

he has 530 total, and may even have 500 of that card I ain’t gonna count it

Just checked the site and new sign ups are disabled :unamused: Premium pack drop was bad timing for me anyway. Good luck to everyone in here.

happens before planned pack drops

1 Like

Just had a vaccine-induced fever dream where the next set of NFTs released were scenes from Twin Peaks. @beetlejuice bought up every one of them to sit on like Smaug on a pile of gold.

Make this timeline stop pls image

5 Likes

Maybe a better discussion is what moments do people think make for the best potential long term value buys? Based on current price and long term potential if this were to become a big thing in the next couple years?

I think it would be fun to narrow in on a couple that are at an accessible price and have a bunch of us on here buy to hold and cheer for long term price gains. I’m gonna have some dapper money likely freeing up at some point after the cool cats challenge, so looking for my next investment.

I like rookies and first cards of good young players. Here is what I’ve bought and plan to hold long term.

At current prices not sure what else I’d be adding. Only thing that I’ve been thinking of adding is a S1 Christian Wood as I think he’s a good youngish player and his card seems relatively underpriced. All the S2 rookies are now either really expensive, or players I think are just bad.

2 Likes

Any of the S1 Labrons, but they are all out of the range i was wanting to spend on a single moment. I have been stocking up on the 7500 KD though, i did some research last night that made me feel like it’s a good one to grab. It sorta ticked all the boxes I was looking for. Any first moments will probably be decent bets as well as rookies.

These are the things I discovered that made it seem like the KD 7500 was a solid buy to me:

– Long term indicators I liked –

• Historic moment (first point as Net, vs old team, coming back from injury)
  • The largest average ownership of all S2 moments (3600 people own 7200 of them. AKA each person who has this moment on average has another one of them.) This is higher than the /7500 Lebron by a fairly big margin. When I dug in to this I noticed that the S1 Labrons have a pretty high average ownership as well, so i took this as an indicator of smart money loading up.
  • KD does not have an S1 moment. His only earlier moment is Run it back, which at only 209 minted is essentially unobtainable. Thus, this is the first non-flashback moment minted of him.

– Short term indicators I liked –

• Nearly all have already distributed, only ~300 left in packs.
  • It was recently reported that KD will return to play in a couple of weeks, also he is an ASG starter. The fact that he isn’t playing right now seemed like a plus for me, since people will get hyped on his return.
  • Nets are favorites to go deep into the playoffs.
  • The smallest amount of people selling of any S2 /7500 moment (~350 sellers at this time, vs 450+ for LeBron for example)

– Cons –

• Not super amazing play, just a standard 3 pointer, nothing fancy really
2 Likes

There is probably some value in future NBA champions. We haven’t went through playoffs yet with this, so who knows what they do with collections.

1 Like

Nice collection!

3 Likes

punisherT :frowning:

i wasnt even looking at rayvin at the time i just refreshed the labron page and saw $200 and paused cuz it made me thing i was on the wrong page. WOuldn’t have mattered though

3 Likes

lol i tried to get this one

2 Likes

Hi josh do you sleep

1 Like

not as much recently, lol

3 Likes

23:50 start

1 Like