Take Me Out To The Blockchain - Digital Sports Collectibles

(mod note: excised from Winter LC thread, props to Yuv for being on top of this trend ahead of it popping off for vastly more money)

Not sure why, but there’s a really big boom in sports cards. While that’s a weird thing in itself, apparently the cards companies are now creating virtual “highlight” cards. This dude, who is a high stakes fantasy player (ex poker player i think) with tons of bitcoins just purchased this for 10k?

https://twitter.com/nba_topshot/status/1349740152525000704

1 Like

I’m a collector of shit but that stuff is completely worthless wtf. Only 25 copies of this video you could get off youtube exist, so pay 10k for it.

given bitcoin is 40k, that crowd would certainly have crossover with sports card collector crowd.

Basically everything collectible has exploded during Covid. Extra money, twitch, nostalgia, youtube all playing parts. People are paying thousands for sealed old Pokémon product.

For some reason the first thing that came to mind was some guy wagering tons of money on D&D campaigns and was wondering how that worked.

6 Likes

Dnd with gambling would make it so fun. I’m gonna try to think of how to incorporate that. I mean, the dice are already there.

3 Likes

lol I would totally gamble on someone’s D&D game.

2 Likes

think about the highstakes fantasy fantasy community.
tbh i actually gambled on fantasy League of Legends during the pandemic, so we’re not far off.

1 Like

Livebetting on The International dota tourney was super profitable in 2019 and not having that this year sucked. People would way overreact to one fight and push ~60% wp to -400/+300 and then the other team would win a fight and I could take the other side in the same spot.

Loot boxes

here’s another dfs/crypto guy explaining why he paid 35k for a gif.

My counterpoint to these guys:

I’m sure he would have been all over beanie babies in the 90’s too.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s about as bubblicious as it gets.

I’ll never understand collectibles. I’ve been to a showroom that had endless priceless sports memorabilia. I was bored to tears in 5 minutes, and I’m a gigantic sports fan. The only interesting part was the super old equipment for hockey, tennis, baseball, etc.

3 Likes

i’m not sure i get the bubble references as a negative thing.

if there’s really going to be a bubble of digital sports cards this guy is a goddamn prophet. it sounds ludicrous to me that such a bubble would happen, but if a smart guy with a good track record told me about the tulip bubble on day 1 i’d be pretty fucking happy.

i just can’t actually believe there will be one. I’m more than ready to be shamefully wrong.

Trying to wrap my head around this NFT stuff and best I can come up with is that it’s cryptographic enforcement of copyright ownership for the Ship of Theseus?

It’s a bubble when they start branching out into ludicrous alternatives to crypto. It’s basically my uncle asking me if XML is going to be the next Linux in 1999.

But also it could be 1997 and the bubble is going to get a lot batshit crazier. You never know when it’s gonna pop.

I just happened to turn on my tv and it had NBC Sports on. As I type this there’s one of those live car auctions. Current car is at $5.4M.

Edit: final price $5.4M.

Of course it’s a live auction inside a convention center in Florida.

I went to a Blue Jays game in Toronto a couple years ago and stumbled across a card vending machine in the Upper Deck. My nephew collects cards so I figured that I’d use up my random loonies and toonies and buy him a few packs. Turns out the packs were from 1989 and must have been part of an initial supply from the opening days of the Skydome. Kid mostly collects the new fancy sets, so he looked at the designs on the packs and the cards like I had given him a dinosaur bone.

1 Like

Might have wanted to check those cards first. I have some baseball cards in my basement somewhere but know basically nothing about them. Except that it’s pretty widely known that the ‘89 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr card is a collectible. No idea on its current price but I’d guess it’s past it’s peak from when he got into the HoF.

Oh, my nephew and his Dad (my brother) are smart enough to check the prices, and I was willing to let him have the windfall if there was anything good. As it turns out, there was a semi-valuable limited edition Mike Schmidt card that my brother swiped both because of the value and because he grew up a Phillies fan and Schmidt was his favorite player.