Take Me Out To The Blockchain - Digital Sports Collectibles

https://www.ebay.com/b/Upper-Deck-Ken-Griffey-Jr-1989-Season-Baseball-Cards/213/bn_55182380

This card is where it’s at. My friend had like 15 of these or more at one time. I may have to dig my collection out and see if I still have one. My friend (we were hoodlums in our teens) stole and sold the same one back to a sports card store several times lol.

Holy shit I’m pretty sure my buddy has a Jordan rookie graded mint 9. It was worth a couple hundred bucks last I knew like a decade ago.

1 Like

i don’t get collecting cards, but i really see little difference between a ‘virtual’ one and a real one, so just judging by your guys collections here, maybe they’re on to something.

1 Like

not those two but given timeline it is possible you have a Jeter Rookie or a few of them in there somewhere.

seems like every Griffey card skyrocketed in price recently.

Hmmm. I know for a fact I have at least 10 different Jr cards in the basement somewhere (as well as like 1000 of others). Not his rookie though. Last time I looked at the prices like 10 years ago I thought I read most of his I had were worth a dollar or two. Most of my cards were collected when I was a kid in the early 90s, which I guess every other 90s kid did too.

I’ve got nothing to do tomorrow so I may go investigate. Any site to recommend that has approx pricing besides like eBay?

1 Like

stockx

1 Like

record was smashed like 10 times already. it’s currently on this:

https://twitter.com/nba_topshot/status/1352694177943834625

2 Likes

I mean cool dunk and all but he was wide open.

i mean kinda, but how is that different from a piece of cardboard with a google image face of a baseball player?

it’s def dumb, but i find collectables dumb in general.

it is amazing to watch how the prices went up. That Lebron card was expensive to begin with (you can track the history of any card. this one was sold for ~4k a couple of months ago) but I saw some cards that 100x in a matter of weeks.

1 Like

nba topshot are the company that have the rights to nba cards.

they built a website with a marketplace and started ‘printing’ some cards a few months ago. It is something that called NFT (non-fungible tokens) and you say BLOCKCHAIN a bunch of times and it’s worth more.

That Lebron card is part of some series called cosmic i think, there are 49 such ‘cards’ (or clips, whatever you want to call it). Each card has a serial number. 1/49 and 23/49 are worth the most in the market.

Today they released a new pack and it sold out within 8 seconds. This is 100% a bubble, but like every bubble, you don’t really know when it’s going to pop.

nbatopshot.com is the website. It’s a pretty cool idea imo.

1 Like

LOOOOOL the site is only a few months old and people are paying that much? I assume you get a copy of it to put on a USB stick? Or does it exist solely on their servers?

What a scam holy shit

the prices seems absurd to me, but not sure what the scam part is. You think the nba are going to scam their customers that way? It might just be worthless, but the actual website disappearing while there’s still ‘value’ to the cards doesn’t seem like a very plausible scenario.

If I was going to spend close to 6 figs on something I would at the very least want it to exist on something I owned. There’s no guarantee that site is gonna be around in 10 years.

Besides, there’s always the risk of data breaches, hackers, some junior dev accidentally obliterating a database, etc. They could just randomly decide one day to print more cards and make yours worthless. It’s low, but do you really not even physically own the bits and bytes that make up these things? That’s what sounds like a scam to me.

1 Like

but the bits are worthless if the market thinks they’re worthless. i don’t see any scenario where the site goes down and the cards have any value.

you are betting on 3 things here, as i see it. And you need all 3 to happen -

1. NFT or digital collectibles and specifically digital sports memorabilia is going to be a thing for years to come

2. NBA Top Shot will be a leading company in that field in years to come. I’m sure some companies were printing sports cards that are completely worthless now but Panini are still worth a lot (or whatever, i don’t know shit about sports cards)

3. The specific card you bought will be worth it in the future. People are copying the physical sports card trends (buying rookie cards, for example) but maybe even if the above two happen, the market might decide that rookies are worthless in this format.

But regardless to that, i believe it’s going to still be profitable for the near future to just buy and flip cards there. At least until the first bad thing happen.

My understanding of NFT’s is that they exist in a blockchain and the continued existence of the original issuer isn’t necessary. Like if I were to create a cryptographically unique ownership key for this very post, then I assign it to you, and we record all of this in a distributed ledger. Now it doesn’t matter who else can read this post, in any format or medium. As long as copies of the ledger exist you retain unique ownership until you choose to transfer it to somebody else.

1 Like

nerd

2 Likes

NICE WORK! YOUR MOMENT WAS SOLD

Moment Details

TOBIAS HARRIS
Dunk - Jan 2 2021, Cool Cats (Series 2), PHI
Common #1779 / 5000 LE

USD $117.00

Managed to get one pack today out of the 8000 that sold out in 15 seconds. $14 bucks for the pack, sold the “good” card for $117 (probably too cheap but wanted to see how it works).

lol and now it goes for 200 already i suck at this

5 Likes

The scam is selling something digital for more than a couple of bucks and claiming it is unique. If it was truly unique you couldn’t see it in a browser,

1 Like