Suzzerwalrus Reveal Thread

Yep thought I was a cert for last place

1 Like

That was Nano. She’s singing it now as it plays.

eta: Good news, she barely knows the words.

eta: Bad news, she looked up the lyrics.

3 Likes

#7 - Weezer - Say it ain’t so

Sure, Weezer got a few good songs, but for a band of their success and volume most of it is kinda okayish? Rivers’ ‘quirkiness’ gets old pretty fast. But this song, and especially this performance on Letterman’s is fucking great. The bassist is basically Sheldon Cooper doing a Jack Black impersonation (or the other way around?). My favorite part is at the emotional peak of the song, when Rivers yells “The son is drowning in the flood” hinting at alcoholism that runs in his family and the bass player is doing power stands behind him.

Weezer is so boring to me I can’t think of anything to write about them, or even a navel-gazing narcissistic diversion into something tangentially-related that happened to me once.

But still, saying they “suck” might be a bit of a stretch. This song is definitely ok. But I personally like Beverly Hills better for mindless fun. And maybe that sweater song.

Listening to and writing up this entry officially triples the number of synapse firings my brain has ever devoted to Weezer.

2 Likes

TEPID!

1 Like

Our next band is in a weird zone where lots of people have heard of the band, but few can name one song off the top of their head.

At least based on a sample size of me. But I’m generally very indicative of the public at large on these issues.

#6 - Pablo Cruise - Good Ship Pablo Cruise

Congrats on making it to the top half!

You’ve picked a band that it could be argued objectively sucks, although I have kind of a soft spot for yacht rock in general. But then I realized I couldn’t name a song. So I looked some up, and I still think the song picked is much worse song than this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9sbA2gnWHI and this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWqe7l6JK8

Song seemed all over the place and just didn’t really do it for me.

2 Likes

I listen to this song at like 40 times a summer. Usually on a boat or biking. The album cover gets me every time. Surprised it made it this high.

2 Likes

So since Microbet apparently has 4th locked up, this next song must be the real bubble.

Actually I’m feeling a podium. I didn’t want to be too cocky.

One of our remaining songs sounds like Weezer backed by the lead singer of our next song.

#5 - 4 Non Blondes - What’s up

I like this song. It hits a very nostalgic moment for me - with of a few of us sitting around a kitchen table at a party going “And Ah Saihd Hayyyy Ayyyyy Ayayyyyyy Ayayyyyyyyayya. And Ah Trahhhd. Oh my gahhhhd how I trahhhhd” over and over and over - for like 2 hours - much to the annoyance of our hosts.

Actually come to think of it, I may have been the only one singing for the last hour of that, and it may have been more than just the hosts who were annoyed. Good times.

Thank you for putting me back in my wheelhouse where I can tell stupid stories from my formative years.

But we’re kind of in one-hit wonder territory here to me - vs. a band that sucks but has other songs at least a few people like (I know, implied). I found what seems to be their next biggest hit? Did they even have any other hits? And it’s godawful - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87HjsK10_74

2 Likes

I’ve had the champagne on ice for a week.

Still alive? Anyone else - Microbet?

That’s me. One hit wonder for sure, but not surprising. I’ve looked for other songs by them because she has a good voice, but everything else sucks imo.

You got cocky kid.

1 Like

I’ll do the next reveal earlier in the day. I think everyone is asleep right now.

Our bubble boy also missed category fit a bit.

2 Likes

Nano was unfamiliar with the version I posted and only knew this:

also, you might observe that parts of what’s up rips off the melody from this:

3 Likes

#4 - Player - Baby Come Back

Good call because I love this song. It has been on my ipod rotation at times. But boo for making me do homework looking up other Player songs on YouTube . And I gotta say - yeah they’re pretty bad.

To me Baby Come Back and this song will always be siblings:

But Player is still a little too much of a one hit wonder for me to totally nail the category fit. I mean maybe if we were alive in the 70s there were people who were totally into player. But no one here knows any other Player song or anyone who would call themselves a Player fan.

Except maybe this guy: