Suzzerwalrus Reveal Thread

PODIUM INCOMING!!!

1 Like

Unless I missed it, I’m still alive.

All three songs on the podium completely nailed the category - a good song by a band that has plenty of fans and at least a few known songs - but also, in fact, kinda sucks. Or really sucks.

They only had one album…which I own.

I assume people know this, but 4 non blonde is Linda Perry who wrote like a billion #1 billboard pop songs since.

Bronze cow for our next participant

1 Like

Did not know. She should have written a second one for herself.

she wrote Christina Aguilara’s Beautiful and Pink’s Get the party started, which i assume is enough to have a lot of millions.

1 Like

#3 - Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

Someone did their homework on this one and noted that Yes is one of my most hated bands. And fortuitously they also picked the only Yes song I can kinda stand.

This is another one of those songs that hits a very specific nostalgic time for me - when MTV was new and you’d actually watch videos after school - along with stuff like Billy Idol - Dancing with Myself, Bryan Adams - Cuts like a Knife (for the epic side boob), etc. Also most crucially - this was before I knew I hated Yes. So it snuck in.

But my hatred of Yes is still always eternally doing battle with my nostalgia fo this song. So it is banished to a state of purgatory forever - much like these guys:

This is exactly the kind of song I had envisioned for the category fit. So it medals.

2 Likes

Robbed.

So we got NBZ and guessing PaulW or Trolly left. Unless pyatnitski surprised me.

The chord progression is even the same which is strange because it’s mostly a repeating I-ii-IV-I which is sort of odd in terms of common chord progressions you might see in many pop songs.

1 Like

This silver wombat goes to our next song.

Owner of a Lonely Heart is actually a good song by Yes because a real producer told them to stop making keyboard garbage rock for a minute and do something that didn’t completely suck. It wasn’t like Yes thought to release it themselves.

Remember when Motley Crue tried to be a grunge band? That didn’t work out.

That would be an interesting category for the future - band that tried to completely change their style (not just a one song departure). Then again that rarely works out.

Nice! I usually have to make people listen to it a couple times to see that.

Is that better or worse than when Vanilla Ice went nu metal?

#2 - Nickleback - Animals

Nickelback sucks. And not in a “kinda” way. This song does not.

Fuck yeah, now we’re talking category fit. Someone else did the work to find the one good Nickleback song so I didn’t have to. My secret plan is revealed.

The song is pretty good. It moves my butt around in my chair a little. I didn’t dread listening to it multiple times. It’s maybe right on the border of something I’d put on my iPod. But I’d probably start skipping it after a while.

Just to rub it in a little, this song autoplayed next:

Dear God. Sometimes I feel bad because Nickleback has become the lazy default whipping post for bad music. Butnahhh, holy cow do they deserve it.

1 Like

This would be mine.

1 Like

So anti-climactic.

@Trolly @Pauwl - WAKE THE FUCK UP AND GET YOUR GOLD KUMQUAT:

1 Like