Suzzerwalrus Reveal Thread

Ok it’s getting into the nitty gritty now - very little separation. Gonna listen some more.

1 Like

Weak. And you have a ton of Action Bronson catching up to do when you’re done with this thread including watching every episode of Fuck, That’s Delicious.

1 Like

#5 - Utada Hikaru - Devil Inside

Utada HIkaru is basically the Mariah Carey of Japan. You’ve heard her sing before if you ever played any of the Kingdom Heart games though. She released an English language album called Exodus which had a more mature sound to it. It was a flop sales wise but did spawn this song. It is awfully different from her pop songs as it actually made the Billboard Dance Charts. If you want some songs to compare it to, check out “Beautiful World” and “Sakura Drops” as examples of her normal work.

I liked this song reasonably well. Minimal, synthy, female lead singer. I can see how this is a pop star taking a departure into alt-y stuff. And yes her other stuff sounded like the Mariah Carey of Japan.

2 Likes

This is a tough bubble.

1 Like

Guess I can live with 5th place

#4 - Suzanne Vega - Blood Makes Noise

The entire album 99.9F° was a departure from Vega’s folk-y, acoustic guitar style, perhaps inspired by the success of the DNA remix of Tom’s Diner, originally an a capella song.

Well it’s definitely different than Luka - I’ll give it that. At least I only had to research one other google song for this one. Or so I thought. The song is not bad. Kinda fun. It grew on me.

Ok so about that research - Tom’s Diner - apparently her second biggest hit starts with the Luka riff wtf? Apparently her second biggest hit is a remake of Luka called Tom’s Diner? Explain. WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!?

I had to click Marlene on the Wall just to get myself back to some kind of reality I understand. Yes it sounded exactly like a non-hit from the person who sang Luka. My world slowly started to make sense again. I give it a category fit of fjord on a scale of 1 to 10.

2 Likes

yes, another podium!

2 Likes

OK Podium time!!!

2 Likes

#3 - Nothing Else Matters - Miley Cyrus feat. WATT, Elton John, Yo-Yo Ma, Robert Trujillo, Chad Smith

You get a 3-for-1 in this submission. Miley Cyrus, Elton John, and Yo-Yo Ma doing metal. I was going to submit Miley’s performance at the Chris Cornell tribute concert of Say Hello 2 Heaven, but I couldn’t find a good quality recording of it. Plus, this just came out a couple weeks ago and while I’ve never been a huge Metallica fan, this version is pretty great, and I swear to god, Miley Cyrus has a rock voice and needs to get out of the pop shit she’s been doing. Also, I LOVE cello in just about anything, so yeah, big plus for me.

Ok now we get the inverse of Disturbed doing Sound of Silence - these pop starts doing a Metallica song.

No idea who’s singing until Miley comes in. And then there’s Yo-Yo. Do you think his friends call him Yo-Yo, or just Yo?

The song was enjoyable. I had have no idea how to judge category fit. But it’s - so weird ok fine whatever. Also this song making the podium sure to annoy at least half the participants, so that’s fun. BUT THAT’S NOT WHY I PICKED IT

Enjoy this bronze aardvark:

3 Likes

I’m sorry to say this, but you are not the man.

Gifs are really taxing either coffee bean wifi or my hotspot - I keep switching back and forth.

1 Like

I’m not going to feel sorry about ‘research’ if it involves nothing other than typing it into Google. Especially if you could have just taken my word for it! Anyway, I’ll take 6th.

Also I may not be able to clear up scores till tomorrow afternoon as I’m traveling about at the moment. But you’ll all survive.

2 Likes

#2 - Mitski - Cop Car

This was for a horror movie or something. It’s super dark and not like her other music at all. It’s almost scary hearing her sing lyrics like this.

Not bad - reminds me of late 80s early 90s Gothic-adjacent alt-rock - very dark.

First google song was very different. Second was kinda different. So I give it 85% for category fit

Here’s a silver poop

1 Like

This is mine. I’ve always wanted to submit a Mitski song. Did you like her other stuff at all?

Miley was mine. I guess if you judged it based on Metallica for category fit, it would be terrible, but I didn’t think of that. I thought of Miley doing metal…which is a departure. And Yo-Yo Ma, but it was more about Miley, since cello fits into anything, really.

1 Like

I wanna hear Yo-Yo Ma cover Miley Cyrus cover Metallica cover Bob Seger.

2 Likes

#1 - Dee Gees (Foo Fighters) - You Should Be Dancing

Is it good? I’m honestly not sure, but Dave seems to be having a blast so why not. This is actually a full length disco album.

This might be the only song that 100% nailed category fit - a complete departure by a fairly well-known band. Although it could be argued I should have known Paramore I guess.

I like The Bee Gees and the original a lot. I watched Saturday Night Fever the other day and it still holds up. This remake has enough different in the right ways that it works. I could put this on my ipod (the highest honorI bestow).

Truth is I actually don’t like the Foo Fighters that much. They’re fine but they just don’t get me going. This might be top 3 songs of theirs that I’ve heard.

But I like Dave Grohl a lot as a person, and this documentary on the legendary soundboard at Sound City is one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen:

That shitty Whitesnake/Van Halen Jump early 80s digital sound was a bane - Nevermind just blew it all up.

Here’s some gold bullion:

3 Likes

I don’t remember. I’ll go back and listen.

OK this category made no sense whatsoever.

1 Like