Suzzerwalrus Reveal Thread

How dare you…

1 Like

I’m here! Let’s go!

#10 - Anthrax - I’m the man

Ok I guess this is Anthrax doing Beastie Boys circa Licensed to Ill with some Sam Kinneson sample thrown in for irreverence or something.

Man this song is bad. And I hate to say it but I really never listened to Anthrax so I had to make sure they never make sure they never made another song like this - which I know is a foregone conclusion.

Ok yeah that took two seconds to do my due dilligence, even with —— Wait ok I’m going to admit it - I started the previous incomplete sentence assuming to hear some edgy heavy metal with maybe a bit of rap-ish influence (in the programming business we call this optimistic loading) - and the first google song is freaking Bring the Noise team-up with Public Enemy?

Do these guys do songs that aren’t 80s rap rip-offs? Ok I Am the Law is exactly what I expected out of an Anthrax song. So I’m breaking my google rule here and listening to another song - Indians - since the PE song was a collaboration. Yeah ok this sounds as I’d expect - Pantera whatever ish. Fine you get category fit - ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? Terrible song though.

2 Likes

Congrats Imodium!

Here comes a big clump of songs by obscure bands that annoyingly made me do a ton of research.

1 Like

whew, another nodium avoided

#9 - P!nk - Get The Party Started

Bonus Suzzer points expected as the end of the song morphs into something completely different

I started off listening to this trying to remember that one Pink song that I knew. Then about 1/3 of the way through I realized it’s a remake of the one Pink song I kinda knew.

As far as category fit - we are through the looking glass with an artist remaking their own song. I think I have to ding for that.

The song itself was pretty boring. Bonus points for remembering my one guest warlus category - songs that have a unique ending. But nothing happens at the end that I can tell - it’s just standard EDM beat fadeout and then she laughs.

2 Likes

Hey, I avoided the nodium! And 9th place too!

I didn’t dislike any of the next songs - and they’re fairly tightly bunched. But unfortunately someone needs to come next, so…

How do you not know about the living legend that is Action Bronson? This was an excellent pick by whoever submitted it. He sings 1,000 times better than I would have ever guessed.

Thank you Lawnmower! Finally someone with taste in this thread. I actually really do like that song. Unique rendition with some soul.

1 Like

#8 - Jimi Hendrix - Hear my Train a Comin

Finally! I didn’t have to research my ass off for category fit. Ok so it’s acoustic, which is always going to be a departure. I mean I can imagine this with electric and it’s basically a Jimi Hendrix song. I think I even know this song. Probably not a great sign that I’m wishing this was the non-acoustic version.

Thank you for reminding me though of Jimi’s awesomeness. Haven’t listened to him much in a while. I had Are you Experienced on vinyl (a short phase until they all got warped from sitting in a cabinet in the sun and I said vinyl not worth it) and wore it out.

But ultimately I’m dinging this because I really don’t think it’s much of a departure. IE:

2 Likes

It seemed too much winking at the camera for me. And I have a high tolerance for winking at the camera.

1 Like

Ok we’re going to keep plowing ahead here so I can go workout and then move back into my hopefully not toxic place.

1 Like

#7 Paramore - Hard Times

Kinda fun 90s but otherwise really doing much for me. This is one of those songs where I accidentally started watching the video, which made it better. Then I stopped watching the video, it got worse.

Their other top two google songs sound completely different from this song and each other. So I guess you ace category fit. Song is kinda meh though.

I can’t think of anything to say so here’s an article about a newly-discovered carnivorous plant.

3 Likes

hearted for carnivorous plant. never liked Paramore much.

I’m still alive!

Jimi doing solo acoustic isn’t a departure from his usual style? Are you high right now?

1 Like

#6 - Jim O’Rourke - Therefore I am

On his own Jim is mostly responsible for ‘experimental noise’, but he did a couple of albums with proper songs a while back. Most of those were slightly weird tropicalia inspired stuff, but this one is pretty straightforward rock.

Nice work making do research on a guy that google barely even knows.

My first thought was hmmmm - not sure if want the falsetto stuff. But then it grew on me a little. Then I missed the falsetto stuff and the endless guitar line started boring me. I think this song gut stuck on repeat around 2:30 to 3:00.

For category fit - the only other songs of his that come up are from the same album. And they sound kinda the same. So I’m gonna ding some.

On a side note - just to get you all back for all this research - I’m gonna participate in the next few walruses and for any category that requires research I’m going to submit garage bands that would only be known to someone growing up in KC in the late 80s.

1 Like

Every band has an acoustic album. The point is a song that’s a departure in itself, not a different way of performing a song.

Are Pink and Paramore the obscure bands LOL?

I’d heard of them but only knew one Pink song and no Paramore songs.