Summer LC thread

All I’ve seen from her is YouTube videos about GTO folding strategy. I do want to throw out/donate some old stuff before the move, though. I definitely have too much shit.

You really have to see the Netflix show. I think it’s sort of like a radical anti-consumerist message hidden within the guise of a mild-mannered self-help guru.

My 25 year old daughter was mildly obsessed with her.

1 Like

Tanners Flat isn’t too far, about 20 miles but $26/night and it might be full? That’s the high end of what I hope to pay in rent.

I went seriously wrong somewhere. Maybe I shoulda stayed in aerospace and found a nice Mormon girl.

1 Like

Yeah there are definitely parts of the country where housing prices are so high that buying a 1M+ home doesn’t mean you’re doing anything crazy.

1 Like

I wasn’t trying to throw shade at you, sorry if it came across that way. If you’re in the Bay Area and raising multiple children then obv you’re gonna need some pricey real estate.

It’s really not clear at all who has the brag and who has the beat when the super affordable and outrageously expensive parts of the country swap stories.

4 Likes

Brag: if you bought in the 70s like Microbet’s in-laws, house now worth 100x what you paid

Beat: if you bought in 2008, just now recovering and getting ready to crash again

100x may sound like a big exaggeration, but it’s not. It’s about 70x.

“Bring on the crash!” says this Bay Area dad who’s looking at a pretty good windfall soon and has two little girls.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1168961749883731968

1 Like

Without regard to the cultural implications, I think she’s largely right. I’m moving from a 1200 sq ft place to a 1000 sq ft place, and I plan to get rid of half my stuff. I’ve only watched a couple of episodes, but I’ve ordered a largeish dumpster from the disposal company for this weekend. I’ve been thinking that shit better bring me joy, or it’s going to the dumpster or goodwill or storage. A leak I have is that I don’t throw away books, so I have basically all the books I’ve read, including 40 poker books and basically all textbooks from 11 years of college/graduate/and law school (I refused to sell back books I had read). I have a pretty cheap storage space in santa ana, and it’s about to get more crowded. (Don’t rent a $400/ mo storage space, as I mistakenly did previously. That’s $5k/yr).

Also, these days the economy is physical storage and the internet and 2+tb hard drives are information storage. Charge your shit like $1/mo rent. If you don’t use it in 2 years and it costs under $24 on Amazon, dump it. Those old clothes that might fit better someday? Store or dump em. That pressure cooker and unused serving dish. Sayonara. Too many glasses and mugs. Hasta la vista. The 39 highlighters and nonworking pens in a drawer. Catcha later. Bring me joy or be culled.

4 Likes

Throwing massive amounts of shit out when you move is fantastic, just get ruthless on that stuff

1 Like

Ive been thinking about going the tiny house route. Or getting that tree house guy to build me something.

In my county goofyballer could buy the highest priced house on the market right now which is waterfront 4,000+ sqft 45 acres and a guest house…poor sticks ftw?

Like 90% of the crap in my storage room is going in the dumpster or to Goodwill. Some of the books will be hard to part with. Sigh.

Speaking as somebody who has moved all over the country multiple times and thrown out all sorts of shit - you won’t miss it. Like not even a little bit. Six months from now you won’t even remember owning it.

5 Likes

I think maybe this is the actual reason people hang on to things so desperately. Throwing stuff away is an admission that none of the crap we fetishize and accumulate really matters. That’s a pretty big blow to the consumerist mindset that leads to owning piles all that junk in the first place. It’s an attack on identity.

3 Likes

If any of you have nothing to do on September 15 at 2pm, I suggest trying to go see the movie El Norte that will be playing as a Fathom Event. It was made in 1983, and was nominated for Oscar for Original Screenplay. Here’s the logline:

Peasants escaping mindless labor and a murderous Guatemalan government head to America in hopes for something better.

This movie managed to help change immigration laws in the U.S. due to the humanity it brought to the situation the people were fleeing from. One of the protections this movie helped bring to refugees was rescinded this year by the Trump administration resulting in the deportations of many people who have lived in this country for 30 years. The movie is far more timely now than it was 35 years ago, and it was timely then too. I wish someone would glue Stephen Miller’s eyes open and force him to watch it on repeat, even though I’ve never personally seen it. I will on September 15, and hope some of you will too. I’m going to cross post this in two other places.

2 Likes

jesus christ

Extrapolate what that means son. Extrapolate, I know it’s hard.