Summer LC thread

Understanding how the interface works doesn’t make it a good interface or change the fact that the default behavior of the software results in unreadable threads.

The complaints about the software shouldn’t be seen as complaints about the site. I appreciate the effort that went into it and continues to be put into it.

1 Like

Me: this forum is tough to read without auto quotes for replies

Dummy who doesn’t get it: there is auto quote, you just hit the reply button then open the editor then hit the speech bubble icon and it’s automatic

Guy who doesn’t want to admit phpbb was better for our type of community because he spent like 300 hours coding themes or something: more people should learn to find that fucking hidden button for every reply they make

Meanwhile we also shouldn’t assume everybody feels the same way about the sites default behavior for quotes. For one, I like it.

3 Likes

Person that doesn’t want to learn new behavior, lol.

I love how the first button on the editor is hidden. Jesus Christ some of you will bitch about anything.

It’s neither hidden nor difficult. Simply different.

People act like a “”” is magical in its forethought and a quote icon is not. Again just different.

1 Like

Blockquote

All I get is this.

Oh that quote icon - not the icon that’s literally a quote mark. Got it now.

Tbf it’s like half a mark

automatic* quoting:

*just hit 2 additional buttons that are revealed if you click them in the right sequence and it’ll automatically insert context into your reply.

now it would be nice if we could force/encourage all users to go through this rigmarole every time they make a post, but this is like a classical economist versus a behavioral economist. we can see there are lots of people who know how to find this quote feature, but they still don’t use it every time BECAUSE it’s needlessly difficult. that results in threads where, at best, you’re on desktop and can click around the page to get context. if you’re on mobile, forget it, you’re fucked.

There are people who liked New Coke too, that doesn’t mean the design decision wasn’t poorly thought out.

I’d prefer people didn’t include quotes by default. I think think it’s a feature, not a bug.

1 Like

It;'s a bad design.

here’s what it looks like for me

there’s no obvious “quote” button. It’s definitely bad design.

yes, she wants to but 1) lol “most equity” and 2) she aint running the senate.

if this was a different kind of forum like by a video game production company or a newspaper, the conversation would be like: start a new thread, almost all posts in that thread are responses to the OP’s topic. in here, almost all posts are replies to other replies. and we’ve got 200 people here, people replying to each other isn’t a thing you want to scroll by, but i can understand why someone maybe would want to if they were on a different type of forum.

None of us watched it, but we figured it out with time :slight_smile:

hey i’ve got a great boat, you guys would love it, all of us just need to constantly throw buckets of water overboard and the boat works great, even better than the old boat

“click and hold, drag, click” isn’t more elegant than “click”, but i’m really good at computers so i can do it very quickly on desktop, probably faster than a normal man could just click one button, but that’s only because i’m that good, the software would be holding me back, obviously, it’s more buttons and i have to move the mouse along a path compared to a normal man just clicking one button. it’d be difficult but i really think i could do it.

No, it is the children who are wrong.

Btw I like the easy way to quote part of the post, like I just did (by highlighting then hitting Reply). But I think there should be a quote button next to Reply - which quotes the post one-level deep (like 2p2 - multi-quotes are awful).

1 Like