Summer LC thread

Interesting item from a federal magistrate judges’ Standing Order:

“G. PRONOUNS
24. Attorneys or parties appearing before Judge [name] may notify the Court of their pronoun preferences.”

He’s in San Francisco.

I bet every baby boomer in my family is already grumbling about this.

Posted by one of the few right-wingers left on my FB feed - soccer mom I went to HS with who just wants everyone to get along.

I’d like to get Andrew WK’s take now and see if he’s changed his mind since those innocent days of 2014.

I should note that the pronoun thing isn’t a “news item”, I was just reviewing the Standing Order of the judge who was assigned to a case I recently filed. Caused me to raise an eyebrow (and made me glad we were assigned that judge, who I suspect will be thoughtful).

It will be soon.

Probably not, he’s very into positive thinking and generally trying to be nice no matter what. He’s not wrong that viewing people only as the labels we apply to them and not as human beings is helping to weaponize ideologies. The only real problem is he ignores that a lot of Republicans aren’t acting in good faith, so no amount of being “tireless in our efforts to see things from the point of view we most disagree with” is going to help Mitch McConnell be less of a duplicitous turd.

1 Like

Gf is dying to take me, and she doesn’t gamble so it’s got disaster written all over it. She used to love there so maybe she knows some spots

Not even going to read this article, but I swear to god Andrew Sullivan has smoked himself stoopid.

https://twitter.com/intelligencer/status/1159073341669617672

All one needs to know about the fall of Rome is that it was a really complex society and there were like 400 different causes. Finding analogies to Rome is the “shooting fish in a barrel” of historical parallelism. It’s basically a sign that one knows there was a thing called Rome.

1 Like

Correct. The myth that Rome collapsed inward on itself is perpetrated by non-readers.

Based on Sullivan’s recent work, I’m pretty sure he’ll identify non-Roman immigrants as the cause. Damn German hordes with no respect for Western values.

I haven’t read it either, but I think the parallels are with the fall of the Roman Republic and the beginning of the Roman Empire.

1 Like

Well, then here’s to 500 more years of USA no. 1.

Huh, wonder if Trump has a great nephew.

Harrah’s is OK for a night here and there, but New Orleans isn’t that big. So many betters things are easily walkable from that part of town.

He has the greatest nephew, just tremendous.

1 Like

If you live near a military airport you will not like learning that an F35 flying above your home can sound like “a vacuum cleaner three feet away.”

1 Like

So much for stealth…

This is fantastic news, I live ‘near’ a flight training base (10 to 20 miles not sure of the exact distance), and hear planes all the time.

1 Like

The original plans for the Concorde had it flying all over Central Asia - but never Europe - due to the sonic boom. At one meeting an Indian official asked the head of the BAC, “Why are your people’s desire to avoid noise pollution more important than ours?” Or something to that effect.

https://twitter.com/theonion/status/1159217426720014338?s=21

2 Likes