Summer LC thread

When we started dating, I’m sure he heard my personal narrative of, “I worked my way through school. I got my first job at 14.” That’s very much a pride point for me. But when we met, he was in grad school and I had a full-time job, so I initially assumed that I had more money, even though my student loan payments were $600 a month. I think I paid for our second date because I was like, “Oh, my god, he’s in grad school, I can’t make him pay for our date.” And I was making, like, $85,000 — it wasn’t like I was rolling in it!

gui

1 Like

It brought up a lot of complicated questions: Could Caroline still say that she paid her way through college if her husband actually paid for a third of it? What did it say about her as a wife if she accepted her husband’s offer to pay for her? When is it okay for your partner to step in and pay your student loan debt? And how would it affect their relationship — and her career — going forward?

The hell is wrong with these people?

People who think couples who inherit tens of millions of dollars are worthy of my empathy because of financial concerns need to have their heads cut off.

1 Like

Right, so I was expecting someone who racked up six figures worth of debt and then getting a job teaching high school making 45k a year or something. And then the spouse having a normal well paying job and making sacrifices to pay off the debt. Not some guy who inherited tens of millions and then deigns to pay off his wive’s low five figure debt. The series is supposed to be about couples’ financial issues – and instead we get a nauseatingly oblivious story about a “couple’s” “financial” “issues”.

Scare quotes around each of those three words are justified because obviously this couple doesn’t have any actual financial issues. The lady herself doesn’t even have any financial issues even if she didn’t marry a super rich dude. She makes 85k and had sixty thousand in student loan debt? Who cares. But then what the hell kind of couple are these clowns? If this dude has a regular good job making 120k then there shouldn’t be a discussion on paying off her debt. You’re married for christ sake. Let alone if you inherited tens of millions of dollars. Just staggering.

To summarize: this vox dot com article gets 5 Vox Victorian-Living Idiots out of 5

3 Likes

Yeah, I don’t really disagree with any of this. Just wanted to point out that it was not, in fact, presented as a

I know, I know, it was just a funny (and yes dishonest) way to frame the exceedingly dumb article.

1 Like

Damn. I work on an upper floor of our building and got to see a body laid out before the police put their white cloth over it last summer in the parking lot directly across from where my car was parked. Drug deal gone wrong obv. I don’t think they solved that one yet but generally there are a handful of murders within a couple blocks of our building every year. First time in my years here that one happened in broad daylight though.

that vox article sends me into a fucking rage. like who the fuck thought that was a worthwhile thing to right about… you mean a guy decided to pay of his wife’s loans which he has the money to do MINIMUM 500 times over and they deserve a fucking article about it like they have the daily struggle that’s relate-able??

i had a fiance who wasn’t even a millionaire let alone an 8-figure millionaire that paid 10k of my undergrad loans and we didnt even get married. should i call vox to do the interview today? get my common man story out in the post tomorrow? gtfo

get the guillotines. we’re done.

1 Like

Pay off your student loans with one little trick!

marry someone rich who inherits millions

1 Like

I paid off $40k of student debt for my wife, I think before we got married, and I’m currently at Del Taco and mad that the Beyond burrito I wanted to try is $4.49. How about some Beyond on the dollar menu?

Where’s my Vox article?

2 Likes

Update: Attempted Armed Robbery at 36th and Market

An attempted armed robbery took place at 36th and Market streets this morning, and shots were fired. There were no injuries, and multiple police agencies are on the scene continuing to investigate. Police have secured multiple scenes located at 36th and Market, 35th and Powelton, and 36th and Pearl streets, where the previously reported Trailblazer SUV was recovered. All three suspects are still at large and should be considered armed and dangerous

Uhh doesn’t look “attempted” to me, literal bundles of cash on the sidewalk? Looks like some dye packet things might have exploded tho?

https://imgur.com/jc9NJPr

Quick, grab the cash before the cops get there.

2 Likes

After joining Twitter a week ago and spending all my free time mocking/attacking/pleading with Chinese nationalist fascists my account has been suspended.*

This demonstration of how the west really views freedom of speech has provided me the golden ticket origin story to switch to a pro-Beijing perspective.

*I’m not ashamed but I can’t say it was entirely undeserved

Speaking of, there’s only one Del Taco in my area and compared to Taco Hell its like fine dining. Such a stark difference in ingredients and freshness. Meanwhile you can’t sling a dead cat in any direction here without it landing near a Taco Hell

I would be exceedingly suspicious of bricks of cash in broad daylight with nobody around. I don’t think I’d risk picking it up. Seems to good to be true.

Rumor has it it’s difficult to find a live cat where there are lots of Taco Bells. :rimshot:

we have taco bueno’s here. all the locals rave about them. i’ve had it precisely 3 times from 3 different locations because people keep saying give this one a try, all three times the tacos were cold.

A bunch of Taco Buenos closed in Fort Worth last year. Couldn’t believe it.

They were actually known for burritos not tacos.

For my summer job in high school one year there was a Kentucky Fried Taco Hut across the street. Went there just about every day. Only in America man.

I first read this as “average intelligence of Vox Dot Com editors and writers”.

Large quasar group supercluster brain.