Stonks & Bonds. lol fundamentals, sir this is a Taco Bell

It’s pretty easy for me on that one. I don’t want my food sitting around for 15 minutes waiting for someone to pick it up, then another 15 while they drive around lost trying to find my place.

I eat in preferably, or pick it up myself and time it so the food isn’t sitting around.

1 Like

And the restaurant quality suffers cranking out so much volume/switching to cheaper ingredients to not lose money. Delivery services have noticeably ruined a few places I used to love.

The food delivery companies, specifically doordash, arent interested in turning a profit, atm. They are fighting for market share so when the world morphs into customers ordering delivery from places like Walmart or local mail deliveries as B@M locations continue to fizzle, they are positioned to take that role with the use of AI. Doordash and Co are pretty much in the Neflix mailing DVDs and Amazon shipping books phase. They expect to lose money for the next two years at least but that isn’t what they care about obv.

I don’t think them shipping a whopper on a bike across town is what they’re going to resemble in the future but it’s how they prevent competition if we ever do become the world many expect us to become.

I don’t think a single person itt agrees with me but I think doordash is probably a safe company to buy stock in, atm.

That chart doesn’t make any sense then. The top line, “Customer Cost” should show what it costs when ordering the same food for each scenario.

This is a nuclear take that I strenuously object to, but I appreciate your standing by it.

1 Like

The point of this food sites are your kitchen isn’t at full capacity so you might as well increase turnover by selling additional stuff at slightly above cost than your normal amount at cost ×2.5.
You are still profiting as per them and you are displacing people buying food from grocery stores and not stealing from other restaurants.

My wife only orders out late when she doesn’t know what to make, we don’t substitute going out for ordering in through a delivery app.

1 Like

Sure seems like people just got used to being flush with pandemic savings and/or assistance (including student loan pause) and just kept spending post-COVID even when it was obviously unsustainable.

Anecdotally every leisure/travel option is insanely expensive this summer. Airfare, hotels, Taylor swift tickets, you name it.

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1664231011734147074?s=46&t=XGja5BtSraUljl_WWUrIUg

1 Like

The only time I use those apps for food is when I get a 50% off coupon (maybe 40%). In those cases I can get the price in a facsimile of the range the food goes at the restaurant.

The amount all these apps make for booking services (food delivery, rentals etc) is obscene. It would be one thing if the drivers were being properly compensated but they are being ripped off as well.

The party that does the least in the transaction takes the biggest cut. It is unbelievable.

Plus I can’t believe anyone orders pizza through these apps if the pizza place has its own delivery. You have to be super lazy to pay twice as much for a pizza.

Tell me I’m not the only one who has never used delivery (either via these apps or the restaurant own service).

I just go get the food myself every time.

7 Likes

never used one either. Get offers from Uber all the time too

1 Like

It is. Menu prices on delivery services is almost always higher than at the store itself.

Weirdly some restaurants in my neighborhood don’t take delivery orders over the phone anymore. If you call them, they just tell you to order through some app.

7 Likes

Yeah I have seen that too. Fortunately my favorite Chinese food still delivers as do all the crappy pizza places.

But a lot of just given it over to delivery. I get why. Maintaining drivers for a restaurant has to be an asswhip. But you are giving up so much control and the prices are crazy.

I tried it but it turns out having slaves is kind of a feel bad even if the ownership is occluded by “the market”.

Did a couple times during the pandemic, but the experience eas always horrible. Have always gotten it myaelf since then

1 Like

I’ve only used a food delivery app once to order taco bell when my wife and I were too stoned to successfully be able to get out of bed.

I think we paid like $40 for $12 worth of food.

My pan group had Grimaldi’s delivered while we were in Scottsdale and the pizza arrived as a huge pile of dough, sauce, and cheese shoved over into 1/4 of the pizza box. Either the driver stopped short or he carried them pizza’s perpendicular to the ground. Uber eats refunded the order and not surprisingly, pizza still tastes the same regardless of what shape it’s in.

1 Like

From WichitaDM:

The restaurant increases the price on the apps by 50% or so vs what you pay at the actual restaurant to make up some of the loss. Ultimately they are still a disaster for all involved. The restaurants make nothing, the drivers make almost nothing and the app loses money.

That doesn’t seem to be the case based off the prices in that chart. There is a huge discrepancy in the restaurants profits when using the delivery services that isn’t made up by raising prices.

I have never used delivery. I want to eat my food fresh. In general, I hate takeout because of the huge amounts of plastic/styrofoam waste.

I don’t even own a TV.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m part of the problem. We doordash probably 2x a week on average. There are a few local restaurants that have their own websites, which we use for takeout (we can walk to them) but most other options require using one of the apps.