Sports LC Thread

Yeah, billiards probably a better choice. To me the question is “if you took to top bowler/billiards people from the 1970s and transported them to today, would they still dominate?”

BTW: I remain firm in my resolve that two-handed bowling is not bowling.

Wait! I got it. What’s the combination of billiards and bowling? Lawn bowling!

Take the young scion of a 1920s Hamptons blue-blood family just tearing up the back lawn croquet circuit, transport him to today, and he’s not missing a step. Or even an 1870’s English Earl.

Sticky wickets are timeless!

Isn’t that Bocci?

No, bocci is marbles played by 70-year-old Cubans in Miami.

No, that’s different. I mean, it’s the same, but it’s different.

Cue “sports” aren’t sports.

This is not to say that they don’t require a lot of natural talent and hard work to compete at an elite level. But they aren’t sports.

1 Like

Darts? Can’t imagine there has been much advancement in that arm motion in a few centuries

Completely anecdotally, but I’ve always heard it that snooker took over from billiards as the game to play because the best players just mastered billiards and would do endless breaks.

You’re right, and given the hours I wasted on that version on Eurosport in the past, I should have remembered it and been more precise.

Billiards/snooker - not only would they not dominate but they probably wouldn’t make the top 20 or 50 in the world now.

The amount of money that came into snooker in the 80s saw to that.

Can we have the Masters? Just test everyone beforehand. No spectators - just golfers, caddies, officials and a minimal TV crew. Announcers can be in isolated locations.

PLEAAASSSEEEE I NEED SPROTS

1 Like

Now that we have this sub I feel like our powers have completely consolidated while another forum is moving to something called an el oh el vanilla.

I just noticed that there seems to be live horse racing on. I thought that was cancelled too?

Might have to fire up the TwinSpires App and get my degen on.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1246549256766476289?s=21

4 Likes

The major DFS sites run ponies now too.

I know a couple dealers at a greyhound track in Florida and they were still running races last week with no crowds.

Ah, if I lived in Florida I might have to break my one and only rule about never betting money on a dog race with an exgirlfriend who is a stripper.

2 Likes

There’s no dedicated degen thread I think, but I just won a Kevin Love autographed photo for guessing many questions correctly on a simulation of an NBA game. Best/worst achievement of my life.

7 Likes

I hope he signs it

Love,
Kevin Love

Stop trying to find a way to FIT-OUT and just FIT-IN. Be apart of something special! Just my thoughts

Kevin Love

1 Like