Sports LC Thread

Sports are serious business not some child’s game of jacks or pick up sticks.

Oh dear God no please

Lebron is the GOAT. Is there really even a debate still?

Terrible 2p2 SE posters:

2 Likes

I like sports.

Yeah that’s the LFC_USA bat signal and he is not fun

1 Like

Just happened today.

I’m seriously bummed. I knew not to trust Dana. But fuck me if I didn’t hold out hope.

Jordan is the best guard OAT
Bron is the best forward OAT
Wilt/Kareem is the best big OAT

That’s really all there is to it.

3 Likes

I’ve got Kareem as better than Wilt and there are other bigs who have a case for being better than Wilt.

1 Like

They’re basically equal in my mind.

Shaq has a case for peak, career is lacking. Duncan is there but not quite the equal to the top two. Russell is 6’9. Hakeem is similarly undersized but has amazing hands and quickness (along with touch), prbly #3 imo. DRob isn’t in that class, but close.

Who else is there? Moses and Ewing are a no.

1 Like

Great thing about bigs, oddly similar to boxers, is you can transport them straight to today’s game.

Don’t try to tell me that Capela is better than Russell or Embiid is better than Wilt (barring you being unbelievably caught up in range [as if greats of the past couldn’t adjust]).

If you want to say Kareem>Wilt I’m not mad at you tbh.

Why is it that old school boxers seem so much more fluid than the other athletes of their day?

Bigs are hampered by the limits of being giants. I guess the answer is that similarly athletic Americans are playing linebacker nowadays. I wish there was more to it to discuss, but that’s prbly it.

While we’re at it can we create a blog category and a games category? For all the blogs and the games

I’ve been watching a lot of 90s basketball during my work at home. It’s a little hard to compare just because offenses were so much more inefficient in the 90s, but watching those games it’s tough to see how people think Jordan is even close to LeBron tbh. Jordan was Kobe but better, both defensively and as a scorer. There is no version of that that’s going to compete with what LeBron does in terms of court vision, managing an offense, etc. Even as a scorer, Jordan was the absolute best at what he did, but what he did is never going to be as efficient or effective as what LeBron brings to the table offensively.

Like, there are a ton of possessions in those 90s Bulls games (I’m talking playoffs here, not meaningless February games) that end on Bill Cartwright back to the basket post ups or like Ron Harper contested mid range jumpers. LeBron just doesn’t let those kinds of things happen.

On the other hand, man Pippen was just a fucking menace defensively. His hands were so quick for a guy his size. I always knew this, I guess, but he seems like a guy that would really seamlessly transition into today’s league, and that’s pretty unusual for guys from 25 years ago imo.

Ports?
Forts?
Torts?
Snorts?
Shorts?

What sport has had the least amount of progress in terms of level of play from say 50 years ago?

Probably a sport that has decreased in popularity. Boxing maybe?

1 Like

Tempted to say something like bowling, where raw athleticism is less important.

1 Like

Has bowling benefited from new materials used in making bowling balls? Is billiards a better choice? Cue sticks are still primarily made from wood.

Bowling has changed completely with the two-handed bowling evolution (google Jason Belmonte if you are unfamiliar).

1 Like