Should the throttle be removed from COVID thread?

I tried to resolve this offline but I guess we need a poll.

Should the one day throttle be removed from the COVID origins thread?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I think it should be reduced but not removed.

don’t think this needs a RFT. Wookie made a call, it was far from unreasonable.

I don’t even really post itt. It’s the principle of creating ad hoc rules with no community input. We have never had a day throttle on a thread. It’s out of the blue.

4 Likes

To my knowledge we have throttled the moderator thread only. No?

I don’t see why this is being held to so strongly. It seems obvious most people don’t want it so why not reverse it. Isn’t that how community modding should work?

Funny thing is I don’t care about the thread much or if it’s throttled. I just think this is an over reach and most people seem to agree based on the highly scientific tally of posts and likes. :grinning:

Why is this a hill to die on?

Would you rather I just ban the beligerent?

Bans instead of throttling
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

I think throttling is a reasonable tool for a moderator’s discretion tool belt.

I also think this is an issue for the participants in a particular thread to take up with said moderator if they feel it should be adjusted or removed.

It’s not something that needs a unified community approval. Threads are their own sub communities here, each one with a different mix of participants and social mores.

This is not something I should be hearing about since I do not visit that thread.

I am not voting but for sure if you can’t throttle to control the belligerent then I think banning is absolutely appropriate.

We keep having issues with a small number of users who insist they have the right to be petulant children here.

The people voting twice should seriously fuck off. Jesus. We can’t do even the simplest decision.

Mod can you please remove this thread. I’m done with giving a fuck what happens here.

3 Likes

Cliffs on why it was throttled?

Here:

1 Like

I don’t disagree with this.

It was reasonable. I think it was still a suboptimal decision and hope Wookie changes his mind. Maybe this thread will lead to that. Maybe it won’t. But if he sticks with it, I’m OK. If he is willing to do the work of modding, I’ll give him latitude on decisions like this. I mean, there is no chance in hell that I would want to mod, so if Wookie is willing to do it, I think leaving such things to his discretion is fine.

3 Likes

My inclination is to see how the thread plays out for the balance of the week left, and then it’ll open back up automatically and hopefully everyone can be a little more chill. From my perspective, the signal to noise has gone up dramatically, and the animosity is down to basically zero. That’s pretty amazing in a thread that had been particularly personal compared to just about any here outside of About Unstuck or those exiled to French BBV. This isn’t something I want to do often, but given how contentious bans have been of late, I wanted to try something different. For those quibbling about the time, the canned options are 15 minutes, 1 hr, 4 hrs, 1 day, and 1 week. There is custom, but I wasn’t exactly sure what to use. Four hrs seemed short compare to how long it would be between actual new information coming out, so I went with the next higher canned option.

I like you Wookie. But you are planning to go from 24h throttle straight to completely open? Yeah, that can’t work. I get the thread has been a trouble thread. If I were you I would, move it to 1h throttle, maybe even now. Wait a a bit. Move it to 15m…

Clock is working. It prevented an easy dunk on a really bad error. Probably won’t be mean tomorrow.

I was actually thinking that should be the default setting, like a throttle that automatically ramps up and down.

The throttle seems to be unpopular even while it seems to be working well. I think it’s better to let it expire than to continue with a different throttle. If the thread immediately turns into a shitshow again, that would hopefully be additional evidence that’s taken into consideration by the yes voters here.

1 Like

Wait. The throttle had an upfront time limit of one week and people are bitching about it?