On the Origins of Covid

Not even new. Was sure I had heard of this before.

I stand by my statement.

Why do doctors have such a reputation for condescension and arrogance? It’s a mystery.

6 Likes

It all started with me that’s for sure.

If you want to say that means you have a ‘scientific background’ go for it. I don’t care. It won’t change that you linked to a racist piece of shit guy who wrote that medium paper and got fooled by its idiocy badly. God knows what trash you’re reading online that got you to that medium article.

Dude, is this you?

Now you’re citing Tedros, something you earlier described as “full Alex Jones”, to argue that the WHO are open to the lab leak theory, despite the fact that you earlier described the report as “all but completely ruling out the lab being involved”. You’re doing this while trying to pretend you have been a model of consistency ITT. This is rising to the level of performance art.

What has happened ITT is that lab leak skeptics have been consistent in their view that lab leak is unlikely, but the definition of “unlikely” has shifted like two orders of magnitude.

11 Likes

We doing 1 post per day slow mode for the next week ITT. There is just too much hostility.

1 Like

Just want to go on record using my one post.

4 Likes

I haven’t weighed in much itt because frankly the discussion here seems rooted in culture war nonsense and not science. The idea that investigating every possible vector of the most serious health, social and economic disaster in history is somehow problematic is just bizarre.

Furthermore, the idea that questioning the Chinese government is somehow racist stretches all credulity. It’s one of the most anti-democratic, statist, secretive and obsessed with image nations on earth. It’s racist to think they have an incentive to hide possible culpability in the global pandemic?

Nobody knows for sure, or even with a high scientific confidence, what the source of the virus was therefore further research is obviously warranted.

Based on my limited reading and understanding of the science I’d bet my money on zoonotic but people need to stop acting like it’s 1:1,000,000,000 it’s lab born or that those wanting investigation are somehow foaming at the mouth nazis.

15 Likes

I was 99% on the natural source-wildlife of some sort and that was a year ago when my brother started with the Lab leak theory, nowadays I’m 98% on the Natural source.

My fear was that my brother who likes to read the odd conspiracy theory was going down another rabbit hole and would not get the vaccination.

Fortunately he got the vaccination before me and will get the 2nd, while we argue on who’s right about the origins of Covid-19 and tbh we don’t argue and limit ourselves to around 5 mins a day on the topic which is very good for our mental health.

He has just about managed to get all the information in ti’s thread on his own which is quite impressive and is around the same as me now, that the virus was likely naturally produced but cannot put down the lab leak theory because there is a slight 1% chance.

And I agree tbh, after reading here both sides my point is that it can take literally years to investigate the source of the virus and we have enough resources to do all the steps from 1-4 posted above so why delay?

It ain’t a waste of funds when people are dying in their 1,000 around the world and every angle should be investigated no matter how small because it was a world wide devastating event.

Anyone who argues against all angles being investigated is nieve when we have the resources to do so, after all its only money and time which we have plenty off and the time to micro manage was before the pandemic killed literally millions of humans around the world and how do that work out?

Investigate everything, leave no doubts sound good to me.

2 Likes

I’ll burn my daily reply to point out that I don’t think anyone said don’t investigate it, nor that it was 1:1000000000.

Consensus was that lab leak is least likely scenario and jump from an animal very much most likely.

But anyone that thinks they shouldn’t keep investigating the source of the worst pandemic of our lifetime go ahead and raise your hand.

Anyone? Nobody? Cool.

Don’t think anyone said it’s racist to investigate the origin, but saying icky wet market dog eaters and sneaky Chinese sort of is. Not terribly controversial there either, no?

3 Likes

Why are you trying to nail him down because he might have said “recommended not investigating” where he might meant “did not recommend investigating”. The entire rest of his argument clearly shows he meant the latter.

What many are misunderstanding is that the fact that there was a lab in the area can overcome the fact that almost all viruses don’t come from labs. The easiest way to demonstrate this is to imagine that the first case was the next door neighbor of the lab director. Would anyone doubt that the lab is now the big favorite to be the origin no matter how unlikely it would have been before that was known? Doctors who take pride in the specialized knowledge they have that can demonstrate the great likelihood of natural vs manmade viruses will naturally resist a pure probability argument that a ten year old would understand and that may be ocurring here.

2 Likes

Fauci badly needs to be fired at this point, he’s flip flopped a ridic amount of times.

If we eventually end up finding out it was from a lab that means republicans are smarter at medicine than actual doctors. I was already ready to fire them all and overhaul/start over with medical school as it is so.

Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston pie,
A fly can’t bird, but a bird can fly,
Ask me a riddle and I reply,
Cottleston, Cottleston, Cottleston pie.

2 Likes

sigh the last time this came up in March I said the same thing I’m saying now:

This is of course the case. Despite all the histironics ITT, neither Fauci nor the WHO nor anyone serious is saying this.

Assuming the disease was actually COVID and ignoring the extremely dubious sourcing, this “bombshell” tells us nothing. 3 WIV employees and 80+ people not associated with the WIV getting sick is completely consistent with any of the COVID origin theories.

1 Like

I’m still of the opinion that there can be two sides of an argument, with one side being objectively, definitively incorrect, without either side being “the racist side” so with that said, I’m still kinda blown away that “bat soup chinamans” is the purportedly non-racist side in this whole affair.

4 Likes

It’s worth pointing out that the WHO report states that no employees of the lab got sick before December, based on the representations of the lab. It’s one of the stated reasons that they think the theory is unlikely.

Of course, like everything else involving the lab theory, the WHO team did not actually investigate any of it themselves and just took the lab’s word for it that nobody got sick.

This is because it literally has happened before. SARS 1.0 was due to a wet market. MERS, a close relative of this, was fairly similar but with camels instead of a wet market. More generally, poor sanitation, wild animals and markets have been associated with disease outbreaks since we began tracking these things.

And while I don’t think Chris, Keeed et al are supporting this theory because they are racists, their theory sure is number one with racists. Chris’ link in this post is from a guy who thinks that racial stereotypes and culture come from genes. Gatewaypundit like that medium article. Instapundit too. American Thinker. Pretty much every single garbage RWNJ website pushed this bullshit.

And to be clear, that “paper” is utter horseshit:

Moving on…

This, again, is utter horseshit. If your point is that we’ve moved from 0.01% to 1% then that’s not supported by anything. If your point is that we’ve moved from 0.1% to 10% that’s not true. You can pick which one it is, I don’t care.

Because those things are drastically different. The WHO clearly recommends continued investigation in general to the source of the virus. They do not rule out a lab source. They do, however, prioritize the things that are much more likely. That’s how it should be. The conspiracy theorists use this to suggest that the WHO is suppressing investigation into the lab theory. What gets infuriating is that they demand all sorts of investigation into something they’ll also say is very unlikely in the next breath while having, to this point, literally zero ideas for what should be investigated. It’s asinine.

TeamConspiracy continually posts bullshit leaving adults in the room to try to figure out what’s actually true. Then after posting that bullshit, they’ll say they never really meant it anyways (like Keeed going back and forth about how he wasn’t talking about a man created origin, then two posts later talking about man created origin, then saying he never did).

Team Lab Leak/Lab Created has:

1. Made a big deal about how far the source of COVID was from the outbreak of SARS-1, only to find out the actual origin of SARS-1 was a massive distance from the main initial outbreak.
  2. Argued that the origin of SARS was immediately found, it took about 18 years.
  3. Used a paper from a known racist piece of shit with numerous basic errors and conspiracy theories
  4. Not given one piece of evidence that is remotely compelling

Garry has spoken:

Conclusions

New data compiled by the WHO team regarding the presence of distinct lineages of SARS-CoV-2 in different Wuhan wildlife markets are inconsistent with a laboratory-based origin of SARS-CoV-2. No data or other evidence has emerged in support of the Lab Leak theory. In contrast, the WHO report significantly adds to the large volume of epidemiological and genomic data that support emergence of SARS-CoV-2 from a zoonotic reservoir, either wildlife or farmed animals.

2 Likes

They did not find Covid in any of the animals tested at any market in Wuhan and the markets are NOT thought to be where the virus jumped from animal to human. This entire blog post is based on events that are not believed to have happened.

3 Likes