Should Julian Assange be pardoned?

Except in the case of Assange there are powerful people who very much do want to see those things printed. His purpose is to serve what they want served. He’s not a journalist and he’s not a good guy in any way shape or form.

Again the right contrast is between him and the real thing AKA Edward Snowden.

I think he shouldn’t get a presidential pardon.

“Those leaks were inconsequential, showed us nothing, and I fully support Assange dying in prison because of his part in making them public”.

2 Likes

This is an interesting way to describe documents that included the “collateral murder” video, as oneyedtripping noted as well. Google that cactus.

And if the documents that Assange leaked were as innocuous you describe, and described activities that in your opinion should be happening. Can I take that to mean you 1) endorse the behavior described in the documents, and 2) agree that Assange should not be prosecuted for these journalistic leaks because as you say they were unimportant?

1 Like

Do you want him to be prosecuted for espionage?

And the most powerful people in the world want to stop assange from printing things they don’t like. How does this lead to----> Assange should be imprisoned?

I want him to face consequences for his actions. If the only opportunity for that is trial for espionage then fine.

Do you want him pardoned?

Are you trying to pin the tripling of drone war civilian deaths under Trump on Assange? If so, come on man.

Charged with anti-clinton behavior and sentenced to suicide

4 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t buy the enemies of my enemies are my friends line. I’m very aware that the US government aren’t the good guys, but I strongly disagree that anyone else is the good guys instead. Seriously it’s evil everywhere, just different flavors.

Having him put on trial for espionage will have many consequences to journalists and whistleblowers down the line in a country that is already pretty harsh to them.

1 Like

What actions? He published leaked documents. What’s the difference between what he did and the New York Times did, with the same documents? According to the Times itself, not much.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/445426-washington-post-new-york-times-editors-blast-assange-indictment

Of course I want him pardoned. Actually, I want to live in a country that wouldn’t prosecute journalists under the espionage act, but failing that…

1 Like

The major newspapers interests in this case cannot be separated from their official positions. It shouldn’t come as any surprise that the Wapo and NYT both want the laws around publishing classified documents and leaks as kind as possible even if that means defending actual foreign agents in the process.

The world just isn’t as simple as you seem to think it is. Julian Assange is a huge piece of shit as is Glenn Greenwald. They are huge pieces of shit because they are in the service of the Kremlin, which is at least as evil as our government, and the fact that they generally irritate the US government on behalf of the Kremlin doesn’t excuse anything. The enemy of my enemy is not automatically my friend. Maoists probably don’t like a lot of the same people I don’t like but that doesn’t change the fact that they’re responsible for more human rights abuses than the Nazi’s, the US, or the Comintern. Literally the heavy weight champions of being awful for the last century+.

A lot of people ITT seem to think that you can never tell the truth while being evil. That’s super naive and not at all how the real world works. The best propaganda is built out of an assortment of facts taken out of context to form a false narrative.

You can tell someone is a real journalist when the story they are pushing is of real importance to the public interest of their readers. Julian Assange and GG have basically never pulled that off in their lives. They’re both shit ‘journalists’ with intentionally simplistic views of the world.

I guess I could be clearer: If you made me president tomorrow I would have a lot more guys like Julian Assange and Glenn Greenwald on my kill list than random Taliban leaders. We kill the latter because it lets us keep pretending like we’re making progress in an unwinnable war, and we don’t kill the former because it would cause PR problems. Both are terrible reasons to take or not take a life. If you think it’s possible to operate something as large as the central cog in the world economic/political/military system without killing anyone ever… well that’s the simple world view talking again. If you didn’t want to order anyone killed ever you shouldn’t run for president.

You’re leaving a few things out here. NYT did not conspire with Putin.

The surest way to justice isn’t having Trump pardon a co-conspirator. Journalists can be criminals. They don’t get a pass.

God: Your behavior merits eternal damnation. What have you got to say for yourself?

Journalist: I’m a journalist.

God: Oh, right. Welcome to Heaven.

Devil: Wait, that’s not how it works.

For what helping don the con, raping or animal abuse?

This is certainly not my position, and I doubt it is keed’s, or anyone else’s ITT. So, seems irrelevant.

You sound like a borderline sociopath. What crime did they commit that merits extrajudicial capital punishment for your enemies…you sure you don’t agree with those Maoists you claim to revile.

1 Like

That doesn’t have anything to do with this case! Literally nothing.

Right, I don’t want journalists prosecuted for espionage for doing journalism, which is what Assange is being prosecuted for. Hell, Obama didn’t prosecute him because he thought it would set a bad precedent. He was right! If they’re actually doing espionage, sure, fine. Like if they themselves are stealing government secrets and passing them to China, sure. Seems bad.

1 Like

Their finger prints are on the deaths of 300k+ of my fellow Americans, every single extra person killed in Afghan over the last 4 years, and a whole lot of other people. If I was going to be president I’d be accepting the reponsibility to decide who we as a country kill. I think Julian Assange + Glenn Greenwald, but more importantly the work they do for a foreign power, are more dangerous to the people I’d be sworn to protect than some so called terrorists up in the Pakistani hinterland.

Look just admit that your view on these guys is 100% ‘fuck the US’ and move on. That’s a valid position to hold, particularly from within the US, but it’s not big on nuance and isn’t supported by history. You don’t have to dig deeper, but I have. The world doesn’t rotate around the US in real life, and these guys are agents of something at least as evil as we have ever been. If it’s my job to run the US government every now and then I’m going to have to order someone killed, and these guys would bother me a lot less than some goat herder trying to defend his own country/beliefs from our military occupation.

Hold up are you now trying to pin USA covid deaths on Assange and GG? Please tell me that’s not the case.

3 Likes

Everything Trump has done is on them. Every single thing. More than they’re on him. He’s a terrain feature, they were players in the game. I feel the same way about HRC for the record.