SenorKeed's Fall Weight Loss Challenge

I don’t care what sk says.

This is getting awkward simp.

8 Likes

Well, I was planning to start a thread in the new year but will do so now if your post gets 4+ likes. Currently, people get twice the bang for their buck and can review two different approaches to health and weight loss in one thread.

1 Like

Not when potatoes are 30 cents a pound

3 Likes

I would pay 50 dollars a month to workout at a normal gym, or zero dollars to do fitness stuff at home via YouTube if I were doing stuff that doesn’t require extensive equipment. But if this is the kind of thing that motivates YOU to work out and make the changes you need to make, I think it’s great.

1 Like

I mean in theory, it’s basically free to workout. Just some wear and tear on shoes and such. So the real question is what is the minimum necessary to get Person X (or ME) to workout regularly. If it’s $500/mo, then it’s a bargain. My health insurance is $500/mo, and there’s no pill that can mimic the benefit of regular exercise.

I may be spending “too much” at $179/mo, but my data points are basically 15 years of not working out (after working out to various degrees in grad and law school; I didn’t work out much in college after having torn my ACL senior year of HS), including after paying for a gym membership in 2012. From 1997-2003 I was in solid shape and was in really good shape in 1999. I was a muscular 225 lbs and getting catcalls from girls…there were those lesbian cheerleaders at the bar in Vancouver (seriously, “we do everything together,” while both pawing me, is a direct quote). [I screwed it up, both due to too much drink and because a girl in the group I was there with liked me.] Hell, I hooked up with the hot girl next to me at a Dave Matthews concert in 1999.

Then I started my 10-12 hr a day biglaw job from 2002-2009 and did not make time for working out. I started my own practice in 2010 and have continued to let myself languish physically, to no good effect. I feel like I’ve kinda wasted plenty of opportunities from 35-45 y/o by being out of the mix, having less energy than I should, and spending too much time on news and video games.

So, if paying $179/mo to be in a class based workout where I can see metrics in real time (just appeals to me and is a reinforcer), and where the workout is “intense”, but not to the extent when I used to workout in 2000 (1 hr weights, 35 mins of stairmaster), or when I used to wrestle, and there’s a personal trainer/coach aspect for motivation, then it’s perfect. Again, it’s different for everyone, but I feel like the value I am getting is huge, so the expense is almost trivial, whether its $10/mo or $179/mo.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter to me, no one owns a thread, man, works both ways. If folks want it to be my thread then sure. Hit the bricks simp!

1 Like

The man deserves his own thread (meaning simp), is the way I like to look at it.

Or start one as an overall community one. I was thinking about doing that. I think about doing a lot of things tho.

1 Like

poetry

5 Likes

lol so good

1 Like

https://www.deviantart.com/noomy/art/Mr-and-Mrs-Potato-Head-183086524

3 Likes

He’s real to me now
a hairy potato man
And I root for him

6 Likes

177.2 lbs this morning. 1,640 calories, from work hamburger patties and and ribeye. Haven’t eaten a carb since Wednesday night. Probably just going to do this zero carb thing today and go back to potatoes tomorrow. Interested in seeing if my water weight goes down much by tomorrow and if it goes back up when I start eating carbs again.

Two weeks till weigh in.

2 Likes

175.0 lbs this morning. 1,900 calories from ribeye and hamburger. Don’t really like this diet, going back to potatoes this morning. But it’s clearly good for dropping water weight so I’ll probably go back to very low carb in a week or so. Be interesting to see how much water weight I put on in the next day or two of 300 g carb days.

2 Likes

Nice to see you crushing Keed.

But I have no idea why people go as far as to count calorie consumption.

I’ve been vegeterian for a few months and it’s dropped me to my lowest weight in over 2 years. No soda, (almost) no alcohol, and irregular exercise sessions

That and I do intermittent fasting. I eat breakfast at 7 AM and don’t eat again until dinner at 7 PM. I end up going to sleep a few hours later and repeat the process. On weekends, I don’t do it though.

I’m not calorie counting to control my food intake (although it does to a small extent). I eat when I’m hungry. I just thought it would be interesting for this challenge to see how many calories I was eating so I started weighing and logging my food.

176.0 lbs this morning. 1,401 calories yesterday, all potatoes.

Was thinking about my final weight cutting diet. I think I’m going to do the following. Stew some chuck roast in zero salt chicken stock with a bunch of mushrooms and an onion. When it’s done add fresh chopped parsley and maybe four cans of coconut milk. Yes it sounds pretty tasty but remember no salt. Sad! Ought to be low carb enough to burn off all my glycogen and cut water weight, but not so high protein to cause meat sweats like my carnivore diet experiment. I’ll probably make a big batch on Saturday and start eating it then. Maybe eat hard boiled eggs or avocado for snacks.

I should start the fatboy8’s winter weight gain thread as I gain back the weight I lost in the fall because of the holidays.

Today I’m in Portland, so I’m bound to eat something delicious with abundant calories.

I’ll be going back to the states for a while

I fully expect to regain a bunch of weight

For people planning on dieting or fitness after the new year, a good move would be to start today and work out the kinks and get a jump on the other punters.

3 Likes

174.8 lbs this morning. Haven’t seen a big water weight rebound from adding back the carbs. Kind of thinking the very low carb diet I’m thinking of starting this weekend might be kind of counterproductive. I can probably get there with potatoes and zero salt and a little bit of water weight manipulation. If I’m below 174 this Friday I might just go straight potatoes no salt till weigh in. Thoughts?

I wonder how much glycogen depletion there is on a very high carb diet under conditions of significant calorie deficit. Although I did see significant water weight loss on two days of zero carb. I don’t know. I’m torn.