SenorKeed's Fall Weight Loss Challenge

:upside_down_face:

Did a 6am fitness class today and am now relaxing with a vinella McLatte and sausage McMuffin. Still on the tail end of a cold and kinda lagged in the workout, but that just means burning 800 cal instead of 1000 (according to whatever fake algorithm they use). Didn’t help that I had a guy and girl on either side of me who went at it like Olympic athletes. Guess that’s a risk with 6am Monday classes.

Slept from 7pm to 1:30 am and then 4am to 5:30, so kinda on target. Feeling quite energetic atm and am about to deal with a bunch of work emails and then do monthly billing, which is a chore. 2am meal was 2 avacado sandwiches (1/2 avacado each with mayo on toasted wheat bread), a can of pineapple in juice, and some grapes.

1 Like

Hot bath and spit buckets for the last day and you’ll be sitting at a lean 165.

Guy at my work was a high school wrestler and coaches now. He thinks I can cut down to 160 no problem if I can walk around at 175 in two weeks. We will see.

Are you saying he deserved a break today?

You can also do what Anna Nicole Smith did to lose weight:

they have a colon cleanser and you’re just, like, on the pot all the time… You lose that weight quickly.

I will elaborate more later, but the McLatte and McMuffin are largely explained by this MS paint. I was mainly wanting a coffee but was mcboozeled into a mcmuffin as well (which is a perfectly fine thing to eat for breakfast after a workout). What I had for lunch/dinner was less so. I am not going to describe it as it was rather unpotato-like, but it was a sit down meal at the Old Spaghetti Factory.

As I’m already starting to elaborate, my goal for this month is to keep increasing fitness with maybe 1/4 focus on losing some weight. I plan to lose 10 pounds this month by exercising 4x per week. I’ve got some pretty easy pounds to drop and lost 15 lbs in Nov. by focusing on fitness. If I keep the same routine I will be in ok physical shape by the end of Dec., where I plan to shift to like a 40% focus on losing weight. I will also maybe start a thread and cease hijacking keed’s.

2 Likes

178.8 lbs this morning. 1,262 calories yesterday, 695 from sushi lunch, 220 from cottage cheese, 346 from potatoes.

Whether from seaweed or whatever else, it seems like a good idea to be consuming some greens. Maybe celery, pickles, steamed broccoli, whatever. I’d be grumpy on your diet, but you’re making real progress and should maybe think about next steps after the bet’s over.

An even hairier dude eats even more potatoes.

1 Like

Meant to reply to microbet’s Men’s Health article post.

Anyway, it’s possible the dumb potato diet got him so much attention that his improved social environment is what improved his mental state.

The Likely Cause of Addiction Has Been Discovered, and It Is Not What You Think | HuffPost

Also meant to credit @ChrisV for linking the article for me back at 22.

1 Like

how dare you

Found some new workout shoes.

1 Like

I hope you win your bet and move on to a more sustainable diet. But I mean if it weren’t a crazy diet you’d get no action on the prop, right? My friend who has some background in nutrition lolled at my first mention of the idea. It’s like a level better than the all coconut diet, I’ll give you that, but come on.

https://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/short-stuff-the-coconut-cult.htm

They didn’t know what diet I was going to do. I got action because I bet I would lose like 30 pounds in two months.

178.8 pounds this morning. About 1150 calories, 400 from cottage cheese and scallops, the rest potatoes.

1 Like

You left money on the table, man.

I’ve enjoyed following this thread as well.

1 Like

That was a really interesting article. I had heard about the study and also what happened in Portugal but it explored addiction in a way that really casts doubts on traditional theories.

Hope you make it keed!

1 Like

178.0 lbs this morning. 1,406 calories yesterday, 700 from sushi, 300 from cottage cheese and scallops, rest from potatoes. I was hungrier than usual yesterday.

Having a cookout at work today, probably going to eat a burger. Tough not to. Maybe I’ll give keto a try for a week or so starting today. Correct any meat deficiency I’ve built up. Be interesting to see how much if any weight I’ll cut with a very low carb diet.

Weight has been steady over the last week, but did 4 workouts over the last 4 days and fitness is continuing to improve. This is a report from my last workout.

“Splat points” are kind of a made up thing. You get 1 point for every minute your heart rate is at 83% or above. 100%= 220-age, so 175 is is the “max” heart rate for a 45 y/o. There’s some evidence, which is kinda weak, that you gain additional benefit from 15 minutes or more in the 83%+ zone. The fact of the matter, imo, is that you get benefit from vigorous (but not excessive) workouts. Working out for 45 mins to an hour at elevated heart rate (where you’re sweating) is what’s important. [Note that the 8 minutes in the grey zone were due a an error with the heart rate monitor strapped around the bicep when some sweat got in it. I has to clean it off and it started working again. So the real fake calorie number should be a bit higher.]

In any event, I’m now on the 5th week of working out and, though it is not trivially easy to get going, it’s about the easiest bang for your buck in terms of overall health and well-being that a person can do. The classes at Orange Theory are $179/mo for unlimited (and about $100 for the required heart rate monitor). IMO, if you are not in good shape the “value” is probably around $100/class. Think of it this way: If you lose .3 lbs per class and attend 17 classes a month (4 days per week), that’s 5.1 lbs per month weight loss (and muscle build, and much better overall fitness). Would you pay $1700 to magically lose 5 lbs and gain better fitness, concentration, attractiveness, confidence, health, and well-being? Maybe not. Would you pay $15,000 to magically lose 45 lbs and gain significant benefit to all of the above. I think the majority of people who are not living hand to mouth can and do spend $15k/yr on things that bring nowhere near the benefit. So, at $179/mo fitness classes are arguably about the best deal around. This is particularly true if you are showing signs of diabetes, like me, or similar conditions related to lack of fitness and will likely be able to control/eliminate it through better fitness and weight loss.

1 Like