Self Temp Ban Request Thread

There’s… a lot to unpack in that post.

1 Like

I just want to remind mods that you can silence a user instead of suspending them. If someone is suspended, they can’t log into the forum at all. If you silence them, they can log in and read the forum, liking posts along the way, but can’t make new posts. They can’t initiate PM threads but they can respond, so there is no need to create a gimmick account to communicate with other users.

I recommend suggest silencing users instead of suspending them if they request a self temp ban.

3 Likes

I did ask Chads via pm to be unbanned so I could delete my address from the private messages but he understandably hasn’t been on in the last 12 hours.

-cassette

1 Like

Chaining them to the radiator might be the only solution imo

that’s a good reminder. i deleted some pms that were doxxing. everyone should do the same if they care about that.

Man, a place that we were supposed to all trust each other and shit to deleting posts said behind everyone’s back that came to light because they may doxx people is some funny shit.

Fine, concur with reversing @j8i3h289dn3x7 ban.

I have done no research on this, but I would be very, very surprised if deleting a PM/post actually results in a delete in the database. A lot of software uses a soft delete mechanism that just marks the entry as deleted in the database, while not actually removing it ( changes a field from null to a timestamp is the pattern I see most often).

If that is true, anyone with database access can still see whatever you intended to delete by jumping through a few hoops.

1 Like

i meant deleting pms in general. not 100% sure what the funny part is.

Sorry.

This is correct. Software does soft delete and complete deletion from the database would have to be done manually

1 Like

well joke on you, because you are now the new admin

1 Like

I took the liberty of writing some code to help out with this:

DELETE [Post]
WHERE [Category] = ‘Troll’

Hope this helps bro, not too sure about the schema.

You forgot a y. :grin:

Sorry couldn’t resist the low hanging fruit.

2 Likes

that’s what she said

4 Likes

Don’t flatter yourself, son, you’re never in the “Category” field.

1 Like

I remember, about 25 years ago, in my first IT job, my boss and I used to read everyone’s emails. He was 21, I was 16-17. We’d especially focus on the hot chicks. Got some juicy shit, too. It was my introduction to how to abuse admin privileges.

Then when I was about 18, I got a better paid job, and I left. I still had the admin password, because he was too lazy too change it. About a year later, he realised I was still reading his emails, when he saw the webmail logs. Suddenly wasn’t so funny, then.

1 Like

@smrk4 @cassette @j8i3h289dn3x7 all unbanned. Sorry, took a break for dinner.

2 Likes

Was it you talking about taking a break from posting or someone else? I read all this shit from posters about how badly they need a break and then next day they are posting like nothing happened. It’s like I’m surrounded by some weird ass forum bots programed to occasionally say human shit between posting sprees to keep humans feeling connected. If Johnny is a bot, you guys put in a lot of work.

It was me because I felt dumb having been duped but then all this shit happened today and made me realize that I’m not going to let a few jerks ruin this place for me. I’m simply going to model the behaviour they claimed they wanted on the forum.

5 Likes