SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Great - I just found out my mom and stepdad didn’t drive to AZ like they usually do, they flew. So they’re getting on a plane from Phoenix to KC tomorrow - after whooping it up with a bunch of older boomers for 2 weeks.

One time please.

1 Like

But does lockdown not just mean it is a spread out thing? Everyone (~60%) still gets it, though. Would not the only way it doesn’t is if it is the most extreme kind everywhere and lasts till the vaccine?

(Should say I skipped the last 1k posts in the old thread so apologies for revisiting the obvious if I am)

Well, like I said in an earlier post, there’s a big spread between doing nothing and a lockdown. No country has more than .04% of the population known to be infected. Even with all the lack of testing and everything, talking about 40-70% seems like a big leap. And what if lockdown for a year would kill 10 million people? Like all the death around the world from sanctions, and there are millions of them, people find it hard to count deaths that are not immediate.

Seems like the best plan. Stretch things out as long as possible to let hospitals cope with numbers and hope a vaccine gets there.

I don’t think we can cope with that, but we’ll maybe see.

Phone posting so this may not be perfect.

Far-removed ex called me three days ago saying that her bf worked with a guy directly (exchanged papers throughout the day, sat near each other, etc) who was showing symptoms and was being tested, only letting me know bc it could impact the ability of my 16 yo daughter to visit her for spring break.

She called me yesterday in a bit of a frantic tone saying that her bf’s co-worker did test positive, that her bf was now sick (specifically nauseous), and that her son was running a fever (silver lining was had a runny nose, unintentional pun) but was going to be tested in morning.

She’s a smoker (largely started after we split) and was stressing. She also cohabitates with her mother and her household (largely as a freeloader) and worried bc she has COPD and in her early 60s.

My wife friends everyone on Facebook and she’s noted how said mother doesn’t seem to have a care in the world w no mention of the situation at all. It’s either bc she’s a huge narcissist and/or she was worried of the stigma. Clearly not quarantining tho.

Is it fair to say that people who cannot work from home are more freaked out about the possibility of most things shutting down for an extended time than are people who can work from home?

5 Likes

Nausea isn’t a common symptom is it?

Overall, buying time seems like the best strategy, but (a) you have to use the time effectively (make more medical supplies/facilities, figuring out if certain treatments are effective, develop a vaccine) and (b) you need to have an effective plan to mitigate the impact of the shutdown.

It won’t be entirely clear how well we’ve done a or b until this is all over, but initial signs aren’t good.

1 Like

Obv.

It would be a libertarian mindset to stop there tho. The ripple effects would be obv on any kind of long term scale.

I don’t see how the govt is going to get $ to those that are going to be immediately affected by a short term layoff even if they were inclined. I’m thinking servers, cooks, etc.

She said it, and then wiper said it on the internet.

What more do you want from me?

3 Likes

This is good. Quarantined Italians record a message to themselves 10 days ago.

The big difference is most of the Americans downplaying this now are incapable of ever admitting they were wrong.

2 Likes

Unemployment benefits

I’d have to educate myself further on it, but working 20-25 hours a week at $3.15 an hour I don’t think entitles you to much (specific to servers in right to work/red states).

ETA: from a quick googling they only have to pay $2.13

I think it’s a bit impossible to fully understand, but I don’t think it’s just money that makes the world work. It’s work. Sure some work is not essential and giving money to laid off restaurant workers might be good enough there, and there are a shit load of administrative/managerial jobs in this world that probably make everything less productive, but for the whole of society if you just have a lot less work done, it doesn’t matter how much money there is or how it is distributed, there will be trouble. Who knows, good things could happen. This could evolve into the 20 hour week. But a huge change all at once is pretty dangerous.

2 Likes

I think we need some kind of short term UBI.

6 Likes

If 3/4ths of the people could take 6 months off and that not have a horrendous impact on the world, then the way we have organized society is really fucked up. I actually think there’s a good chance that’s true theoretically, but I don’t have much faith in the reorganization going well in the real world.

That’s what unemployment insurance is.

But yeah they should extend it to people who aren’t eligible.

Just curious…how many states other than Ohio allow drive-thru liquor sales?

1 Like

Louisiana.