SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

President Vizacarra just spoke to the nation moments ago and declared a state of emergency for Peru.

• all borders are closed. (“Durante el estado de emergencia se dispone el cierre total de las fronteras”) No more flights starting at 12:00 pm tonight. Apparently that means flights in and out.

• During the State of Emergency, the PNP and the Armed Forces will take charge of security. Constitutional rights are suspended. (“Durante el Estado de Emergencia la PNP y las FF.AA. se harán cargo de la seguridad. Quedan suspendidos los derechos constitucionales”)

• 15 days of social quarantine. Not sure how this is going to take place, but basics including pharmacies and banks will remain open. The government guarantees food, water, gas, waste collection, sanitation, electricity, etc.

Not gonna lie. Kinda wish I was trapped in Peru right now.

1 Like

Well, Paris definitely panic buying now. In a massive queue at a pharmacy for one of life’s essentials, nappy cream. I knew this place would just flip from indifference to hysteria at a certain point.

1 Like

Even if they have short term Ubi this admin is going to grift it all to rich people anyway.

I almost feel like the US is doling out just enough tests that our numbers aren’t just obviously low like Kim Jong Il golf scores or something.

2 Likes

This is gonna be really really interesting to see if/when we start to slow the spread with all these actions.

Do we have any idea what the key ingredient(s) are that make the mortality rate go from <1% to 5+% when healthcare gets overrun. Is it oxygen? Ventilators? Drugs?

It’s like, most jobs are bullshit but the ones that aren’t are really, really essential.

1 Like
2 Likes

Finished the 2 day 2400 mile car trip to get my grandparents home from Florida. It’s amazing how hard on the body driving that long is. Time for some major rest. My grandma coughed most of the way home so…

13 Likes

I mentioned this to a friend today after explaining my frustration with old people not listening to advice to stay at home and avoid going out. It’s like they’re trying to naturally select their way out of here.

It almost makes me wonder if it was calculated, cause it was kind of an absurd number, but it was also like exactly the number that would force the necessary political action and give them some political cover for taking it. Great job by that official if so! Could have saved a lot of lives.

Of course it was, who else is going to save us?

1 Like

This study from the Diamond Princess put mortality of 1.9% for symptomatic people (the people getting tested), 0.9% overall. Considering that the age skewed old there and they had good medical care, it seems care is important for survivability.

Just so you know, the chain e-mail that was in was a hoax. The hold your breath thing is not substantiated by any legit source.

Really hope you don’t have it, and I hope you feel better soon. Stay vigilant with the symptoms!

The net to catch your misses probably isn’t big enough. :wink:

5 Likes

People are gonna be fucking pissed when they find out the coronavirus still exists in two weeks. It’s almost like - you can’t stop it.

You can only hope to contain it.

4 Likes

You can’t even hope that.

The whiff.

The blob?

From a very smart doctor friend of mine. Youngish. Went to Oxford.