SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

If they are infected, there will be COVID-19 in the air when they’re done. We know it can stay in the air at least a few hours, and we know it can settle onto whatever it lands on. So, essentially, there’s a risk there. We don’t know enough to quantify that risk whatsoever, really. It could be minuscule, or it could be somewhat significant.

If we were testing and contact tracing more, we might have begun to get some idea about that. Based on what I’ve seen take place in China as far as the degree of their lockdown, I would not let anyone else into my home unnecessarily.

Don’t mean to single you out since it has come up more than once, but what is up with all of this" if you can afford it"? I can’t think of a single person I know who has someone that comes by on the reg to clean and can’t afford it. Anyone who is on the brink financially because of the shutdown almost certainly wasn’t hiring someone to clean regularly in the first place.

Amazing, so we are surely undercounting everywhere

Yeah, to see that in fucking Chicago means we are undercounting like crazy in places like Florida and the south

We need people like your wife’s friend to just stand outside of polling locations in red states when (read: if) we start having elections again.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly the thought process I had. Given they are literally cleaning everything, it seems the risk (for me, anyway) would be more about the air. But, like, we’re not completely avoiding grocery stores and there are way more monsters mouth breathing in there. I guess in your own place you are more stuck, though, and the air doesn’t circulate as much.

Anyway, I think I’m going to avoid it since it is almost certainly dangerous for the cleaners if I happen to have it and not know.

My hot water heater went out on Tuesday. The plumbing company is sending 3 or 4 people to replace the whole thing. Will take a few hours.

Not super happy about that, but seems unavoidable. Will just keep the place aired out, keep my social distance, wipe down afterwards and hope for the fucking best.

It’s a 1 person job. Maybe 2 if someone is just grabbing shit.

3 Likes

IMG_20200403_050304

6 Likes

Always lovely when a datapoint distorts the whole graph.

Certainly an outlier. Must be just a bad datapoint. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

My wife and I have been isolated in our home for 20 days and have not had any symptoms.

I need to go to my 74yo mothers house this weekend to replace her failed wireless router. She has been isolated in her home for 24 days and has had no symptoms. This seems fine to me.

We have two sets of close friends that also have strictly quarantined for 15 and 25 days respectively. I feel like we could be in the same house, not touch each other or anything and hang out for a few hours. Stupid or healthy human contact?

2 Likes

When wearing a mask and glasses at the same time, how do you prevent your glasses from fogging up? I feel like I must be doing something wrong because I’m not the only person in the world with glasses, but I can’t figure it out. I’m using a regular surgical mask I had lying around the house from when we had a flu issue while my wife was pregnant a few years ago.

This is a question you need to answer for yourself. 100%. I don’t see any upside in giving you advice on this matter. Nobody wants to be blamed for advice that may get someone sick. You understand all the issues. It is your call.

4 Likes

More evidence that not everything is being counted. Red states are going to get slammed. Probably won’t matter. More hospitalizations than positive tests in greater Houston.

I had the same issue when I had to wear a mask during one of my mom’s hospital visits. I ended up taking my glasses off a lot. Granted this was not in a coronavirus situation but rather just a standard protocol kind of thing. So touching my face didn’t seem like as big a deal at the time.

Fold the top of the mask inward, or put a tissue of the bridge of the nose.

It’s either that or get some anti-fog product.

1 Like

Good point. Your call all about trust.

My sis-in-law has to quarantine at work. Sleeping bag and air mattress in her office. She is HR at a memory care facility in Ohio but managers are pitching in on patient care due to staff shortage. Someone that visits hospice patients at multiple facilities has tested positive. My mother-in-law is daycare for her daughters. Hi stress phone calls for my wife last night. Not sure what the plan is.

1 Like

Took a peak into the old pro trump forum I used to post on.

They’re going with " libs and scientist are massively exaggerating the deaths in USA#1 to hurt Trump or to control people, 90% of the people who are dying are dying for other reasons and they just happened to have China Virus "

You guys seeing this on CP?

I totally understand - I recognize that is a 100% personal decision, but I also think it is important to discuss stuff like this. We’re all facing these types of decisions, and I think it’s instructive to listen to different perspectives.

In some ways, these are the most important personal decisions that we have to make during this crisis. And these are also the decisions that we’re getting zero guidance on from those who should be helping people navigate difficult and uncertain times.

I know enough to know that humans are really bad at assessing risk, and I try to be informed and practical, but there are still a million shades of grey out there.

2 Likes

Why am I focusing on this one weird study so much? Because it’s the only RCT of cloth face masks we have! Millions of people, egged on by top newspapers, are about to start wearing cloth face masks during a pandemic, when right now the authors of the only randomized trial on them conclude they’re probably net harmful. This should be really scary! Somebody with more experience and statistical knowledge than I have should be looking this over with a fine-toothed comb and trying to figure out what we should do.

Until then, should people stay away from cloth masks? I’m not sure, and this is so not a recommendation, but I lean toward no. The prior that they should work or at least be neutral is too high for a study this weak to convince me otherwise. More important, this study only examines incoming pathogens. Even if they are harmful for blocking incoming pathogens, there are still reasons to think they are helpful for blocking outgoing ones. If I had to hang out with a coronavirus patient for a while, and I had to choose between both of us wearing cloth masks, or neither, I would go with the masks. Only until we could get real surgical masks, which are much better. But I’d go with the cloth ones instead of nothing.

But right now that’s a gut judgment, and the evidence says I’m wrong. This is one of those times where people have to make a life-or-death decision in conditions of high uncertainty, and it really sucks.