SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

That sounds like a horrible thing to do. This could be going on for months, at that age such a long absence from one parent would be majorly alienating and not at all in the best interests of the child. Also, the risk to the child from the virus is extemely low.

Anyway the guy currently has no symptoms, and if I understand the reports correctly, the people who are bad enough to need an EMT are not shedding the virus as strongly as asymptomatic people. So it is not probable that he caught it.

Would you propose the government separates all doctors and nursess from their children where it is logistically possible?

4 Likes

In a nursing home a few miles from me 51 residents and 6 staff members have tested positive. Holy shit. I’ve been going to the grocery store like half a mile from there.

I’m definitely fucked.

3 Likes

IANAL and I live on a different continent, but I do tangentially deal with some family law issues. Seems improbable she could do it in the best interests of the child — if the child lives with a vulnerable person, that seems like a stronger case. That said, possession is nine parts etc and if the courts aren’t currently open, she probably can’t be stopped. She should definitely consult a lawyer (an American one at that, lol) if she’s going to do that. No clue on what potential consequences it might have.

Has she tried to propose access via Skype or similar? May not be very effective w/ a two-year-old, though they like smartphones well enough imo. Could be worth a try.

It’s true that kids seem to be the least vulnerable, but this is glib, shoddy reasoning. Ongoing direct access to people who are definitely infectious, but simply not in the highest possible state of infectiousness, doesn’t indicate a low baseline chance of infection. IOW you are effectively arguing that because his chances of infection aren’t the highest they could possibly be, they must be treated as though they are the lowest they could possibly be. Awful reasoning and not something you’d even consider if we were talking about an EMT visiting an emphysematic 75-yo. And that’s ignoring that EMTs almost surely have regular direct contact with other healthcare professionals who will themselves be in regular contact with all ranges of infectiousness. He doesn’t have to catch it from a patient to catch it.

And remember that Iranian doctor crying because he had to tell his toddler not to try and hug him? He’s not separated from his kid, but he’s observing social distancing.

4 Likes

Spain’s daily death toll reaches another record high

Spain has seen 864 deaths related to the coronavirus in a day, a new record in a 24-hour period for the country, the health ministry says.

The national death toll is at 9,053. There have been 102,136 confirmed cases.

No that’s not what I’m arguing at all, it’s a complete strawman.

My point is that, in the absence of a positive test result or specific scenario that created an extreme likelihood he already has the virus, it is crazy to withhold his child unless you are really advocating for taking away all healthcare workers’ kids, which would be an insane policy considering the risks involved to children. The scenario corvette described is no such case.

I pre-empted the bolded with the Iranian doctor, so you can pipe down about strawmen. You said “it is not probable that he caught it” and the reasoning you’ve presented to support that is very poor. Explaining that fact is not ‘a strawman’.

OP is proposing taking away the 2 year old daughter from an EMT without court approval just beause of his job. It’s an insane and horrible idea.

I don’t know what your point is about the Iranian doctor, but it doesn’t preempt that at all

1 Like

That would be because she’s a great negative example for my point. She’s taking more than she needs at a time of crisis because leverage. Imagine if she reduced her rates 85% or something and the zoom lessons were pure gold… You’d be intensely grateful I’m guessing…

1 Like

It is horrible. Widespread outbreaks of dangerous diseases generally entail some pretty horrible shit; you play the hand you’re dealt. It’s not remotely insane. He works in a job where he’s much more likely to be infected than a typical person.

Yah it does, I know because I know what my point was.

2 Likes

So what? All healthcare workers do, as do grocery store workers or anyone else dealing with the public. Have any children under 5 died from COVID-19, anywhere? Have any children under 10? How many have been hospitalized? From all accounts, for the 2 year old demographic, the virus IS less dangerous than the flu. And this is reason to just disrregard a court arranged custody agreement? Because elsewhere in society the disease will entail horrible shit?

Well better keep it to yourself then, best way to avoid having to justify it.

I mean, yes, kids have died from it, though not many. But I don’t know of any reason why kids can’t spread it around, which is why I was saying there’d be a stronger argument if the kid lived with a vulnerable person.

Well better keep it to yourself then, best way to avoid having to justify it.

I’ll justify it if you challenge it. But I’m not gonna lie, “I don’t understand your point but it definitely doesn’t pre-empt [x]” has you on a short leash of indulgence. You no longer enjoy the assumption of being a good-faith interlocutor. Plenty of people with bees in their bonnet about custody and access arrangements.

Can confirm, March was easily the worst month I have ever lived through.

Holy shit at that CFR.

1 Like

Not weighing i on the substance of this debate, but yes, in USA #1 I believe an infant died.

Regardless of your point here are a lot of reasons it doesn’t preempt any of my arguments.

That doctor knew less about the virus and the specific risks to children than we did now.

He was still seeing his kid! He just wasn’t hugging him the moment he got in the apartment still wearing his scrubs. Here is a quote from him.

‘All colleagues should avoid approaching their children and families until they wash their hands and take the necessary precautions,’

He is not advocating colleagues staying away from the children in general

That doctor could have a lot of specific reasons to assume his clothing was contaminated, we don’t know. None of those would apply to the EMT seeing his child when not working

1 Like

Blatantly untrue and like that, we’re done.

Ok I thought it was like a month ago, it was not. So he does have up to date information. But I agree it is best to be done since you don’t feel the need to explain yourself about anything

The dude is a medical doctor and a lot of his writing is dedicated to explaining published research to lay audiences, so he’s a great source on coronavirus. But only if you can tolerate reading stuff written by one of those people…

The latest from Latin America: Outrage over dumped bodies

A refrigerated container arrives in Guayaquil.Image caption: A refrigerated container arrives in Guayaquil.

• Outrage is growing in Ecuador 's most populous city Guayaquil as residents are sharing videos of bodies dumped in the streets. Forensic services are struggling to pick up the bodies of those who have died in recent days - not just from coronavirus but from other causes as well. Relatives are reporting waiting times of up to four days and some have resorted to leaving the bodies outside their homes. Local newspaper El Universo reports that between 400 and 450 bodies have yet to be removed from homes. Guayaquil Mayor Cynthia Viteri announced on Tuesday that the first of three refrigerated containers for the storage of bodies had arrived
  • In Brazil , the first coronavirus case in an indigenous community has been reported. A 19-year-old woman from the Kokama indigenous group in Amazonas state has contracted the virus, health minister Francisco Ferreira Azevedo said. There are fears that the pandemic could hit indigenous communities particularly hard as they often live in remote locations without access to healthcare
  • El Salvador has reported its first Covid-19 death. The 60-year-old woman had recently returned to El Salvador from the United States, President Nayib Bukele said. President Bukele was one of the first Latin American leaders to impose strict restrictions on movement and to close the small Central American country’s borders

Inflection point to what though? Exponential growth with a lower growth rate is not a huge improvement.

2 Likes