SARS-CoV-2: Electric Superflu

Yeah, probably.

It’ll suck here but it won’t be America bad.

If America brings on a depression we take the whole world down with us.

Random thought: Boy, Paul Manafort is fucked.

1 Like

It depends. Republican (but not really Trumpy) governors in MA, MD and OH have shut things down fairly aggressively and seem to be taking it seriously. Otoh, some politician (I think it was the governor) from Oklahoma is still sending out trolling photos from the local steakhouse.

Overall, my guess is most governors are getting better info from the ground so they’re probably gonna be more reality based even if they won’t publicly criticize the feds.

I did one random sample. Brad Little of Idaho urged school districts to exercise caution in school closures.

Yeah, like I said it’d suck here.

CR has a very efficient social safety net and welfare system (nice holdover from communist Czechoslovakia) to help those who need it while America doesn’t really have one at all. It’d stop the bottom from completely falling out.

It also helps to have the second lowest Gini coefficient in the OECD (Slovenia and Slovakia are tied for first).

Alberta has cancelled all classes for the year! That seems extreme.

Subbing

https://twitter.com/jpelzer/status/1239275775997722629?s=20

Takeout and delivery still available though.

1 Like

Ohio is taking this seriously because the one official guessed 100k were infected and everyone is freaking out. The latest proof of “all politics is local”.

2 Likes

Greg Abbott had a press conference the other day in Texas. Talked the basics of two weeks ago of hand washing and social distancing. Also talked about boosting testing capacity and starting drive thru testing in San Antonio soon.

But it was all very basic stuff.

is there a czech thread you can post in? bc i’ve followed you (as a teacher) since you were in china, but the 20+ updates a day from a place i’ll never be, while casually interesting, mean fuck all to me.

and now, probably incorrectly, i’m taking offense at this post. fuck were we all supposed to do? i bet more than some little kids skiing in italy.

again my apologies, you’re cool and i’ve enjoyed your posts over the last 10 years or so. and i’m fully aware you didn’t mean it like that, but whether or not you have to go clean your 5-person office out tomorrow… like enjoy your vacation.

I like the local updates. I think others do.

Allows us to get a global view.

12 Likes

Lol I love reading his updates. I suggest you mute or ignore him if they bother you that much: Jesus:

11 Likes

They mean fuck all to others as well. But they aren’t going to be attention whores and announce it to everybody.

8 Likes

That dude shifted the overton window a mile with that one quote.

3 Likes

I’ve been absolutely gobsmacked at how competent Ohio has been at responding to this crisis. Mike DeWine is basically a bog standard troglodyte Trumper GOP assclown from a red state in nearly every way but somehow he’s willing to step aside and let this science lady grab the mike and drop some truth bombs on all of us. I generally don’t trust science people who wear lab coats outside of the lab because that’s clearly unsafe and performative, but she seems to know what’s up: lots of people are carrying this, the testing is way behind the curve. This Dr. Acton is saving many lives here.

I don’t have any inside info as to why DeWine is handling this any different from the GOP slapdick in Oklahoma; it’s baffling to me. You’d think a cattle herding state whose business is dependent on herds of animals would be more woke on basic epidemiology, but here we are.

4 Likes

oh shit we are all super duper fucked.

https://twitter.com/themouthmatusow/status/1239400064927199232

2 Likes

I like them. I wish we got them from every country.

7 Likes

It’s so weird to see how enormous the difference is in how different parts of America are dealing with coronavirus. Some states seem to have got their shit together recently while you don’t even hear about what other states are doing. Is Mississippi doing anything? What about West Virginia? You hear nothing about them.