Reveal Thread: Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

Side Note: I ended up doing a bit of a deep dive into the other Jimmie Rodgers (Country singer).

Yes. You seem surprised?

I maybe wrongly pegged you as the extreme metal guy. It’s cool you are into Top 40 pop club hits too.

3 Likes

In 2nd place with 12 points

The Knife - Heartbeats

Review

Awesome Boston! Electronic. I dig it. Weird vocals. I like that kinda thing. Hang Ten! I remember this group from the below video/song from the same album. I love stuff like this. I always have electronic stuff as entry contenders in walruses, but then I’ve always picked something else to appeal to the host. Well, you found the right host. Well done!

4 Likes

I never ventured that far away. My local was a right dive, the Green Gate on West Green Road. Then I met Mrs Swanky and it was all about the bright lights of the shopping city :grinning:

1 Like

This one is mine. I wouldn’t call Jimmie F. Rodgers (not to be confused with the father of country music, Jimmie C. Rodgers) a crooner. He’s a sort of folk-ish singer whose style can easily cross over into pop or country. Maybe “easy listening” is the best label. I listen to this type of music as much as a listen to the classic rock of the 60s and 70s.

2 Likes

Who did have nofx?

Nicholas

1 Like

Oh wait, I’ve got you now - you were down towards Turnpike not up by Alexandra Park.
I used to work in Phillip Lane (parallel to WG Road), teaching photography in a drop-in centre for unemployed people.

Jesus.

The guy teaching silk screen printing and I used to get written off several nights a week over the road from work in a dive called the (lol) Robert E Lee.

2 Likes

I like the mini-drama on the background where it turns out jal and swanky were best friends in kindergarten

8 Likes

I genuinely thought about submitting this one, but I figured you’d know it already. I’m giving myself first and second place.

(Which I always do anyway.)

4 Likes

Yes, I was full Turnpike, don’t mix me up with those Alexandra Palace snobs

1 Like

I wasnt following so i assume you did also win, which i would have bet infinite amount of money on.

Easy game.

3 Likes

We really should have a Walrus betting market

You must have gone into Crouch End a few times - the Queens, Dick’s Bar, The Palace - one of London’s greatest drinking areas back then.

In 1st place with 13 points

Charles Bradley - Strictly Reserved for You

Review

This is the kinda thing I was trying to push people to by saying to go 80s and backward. Curtis Mayfield kinda shit. I know this is recent but it has that 70’s sound. Really cool. This is that kinda soul music I need to listen to more. This is a proper love song. Maybe this should win it all. Fuck it, this is a banger!.

4 Likes

There aren’t that many non-cheesy extreme metal love songs that might appeal to a fan of dream pop.

7 Likes

When i was 12 i spent a summer in Edgeware. Am i close?

Thanks for the reveal, Pauwl, even though I am convinced you used a random number generator for your ranking.

2 Likes