Reveal Thread: Walrus Grab Bag 2 - The Walrus Strikes Back

This would be a good guess for me. One of my favorite acts, actually. But it’s not mine.

They were always considered a bit hipster-ish back in the day (though that word wasn’t used yet), maybe that’s what you’re picking up on. Look up some of his other stuff, I think you might enjoy it.

Look at me defending a song I didn’t even submit. Kudos to whoever did though.

2 Likes

You will finish between podium and nodium as tradition requires.

2 Likes

It is known

1 Like

I didnt send it either but it would have probably podiumed easily if it was my category

1 Like

Onto fifth place for however many points we’re at, I’m trying to squeeze this into my lunch break because my day is kind of getting away from me. Explicit lyric warning!

Finest Girl - The Lonely Island

I’m a fan of some of The Lonely Island stuff and some of their best stuff would have podiumed. This song is more of a one-note joke that kind of got away from them into a full-fledged song, but there’s still some good stuff here (Send your special forces into my cave. I said “He wasn’t in a cave?”). I also think there’s some meta humor in the idea of a major pop star making music like this. I don’t think this is skydiver’s but i’m losing track of what’s happening, probably CanadaMatt time.

3 Likes

Perfect pop song? Got to be me

4 Likes

The system works (not that Costello is artsy)

3 Likes

Wow didn’t peg you as a Lonely Island guy

1 Like

I’ll take it.

Yeah, most of the humor comes from the movie itself and one of the worlds biggest pop musicians releasing a song like this…

It loses a bit of its punch when in 2020 Ben Shapiro references a real song while referring to his bone dry wife.

2 Likes

That’s because I’m not

2 Likes

He’s an Elvis Costello guy

Almost dropped this instead because You’re The Worst is awesome

Ok fourth place and then a break of indeterminate length before the podium.

Pixies - Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf)

Pump up the volume’s soundtrack was actually really influential on my music taste growing up, even if the movie didn’t age as well. It was the first time I heard this version of the Pixies song (there’s a faster, more famous version on Doolitle).

Some good advice for future walruses: if you’re going to take a great song and slow it down, you’re probably not going to do well. That said, fourth place is pretty damn good because you happened to pick a really great song to slow down and the category wasn’t terribly strong. Love the Pixies and this song, would never listen to this version over the original but I still like it more than most of the submissions, although as stated earlier 2-6 were close.
skydiver likelihood: Would’ve made this very low and attributed this to seities but now I think it might be hers.

2 Likes

I think my brother was in an episode of that show, I’ve never seen it.

I must disagree, oh no sir, I must say you’re wrong!

2 Likes

It was a joke

1 Like

I did not podium :(

1 Like

I highly recommend it as something to watch… preferably immediately

OK who is left and which songs are unclaimed? I’ll try to finish this up as soon as I can but work beckons for the moment.

1 Like

Myself, @Rivaldo and @skydiver8

1 Like