Request Product Recommendations ITT!

If you’re using a kit zoom lens, it’s very likely it has a slow maximum aperture.

You could try jacking up the effective ISO (which can result in grainier photos) or putting it in aperture priority mode and opening it all the way up (will be limited by the design of the lens).

Prime lenses (fixed focal length, I.e. non-zoom) usually have a faster maximum aperture (ie, they can let more light in) and will do better indoors. Usually the ones that are around 50mm equivalent are pretty reasonably priced.

2 Likes

That said, newer phone cameras are pretty amazing. I use my iPhone 13 for basically everything now other than planespotting where I need a long telephoto lens.

1 Like

Yeah I tried adjusting the ISO and got really grainy shots. All I have is the two kit lenses, and after my failure to render a good photo, I think I’m just gonna take my loss and not sink any more money into this thing.

Call-blocking/text-blocking apps. As private as possible. Free better than pay but not a deal-breaker.

I don’t know if this prompted your post, but for the last few weeks I’ve been getting 5-10 robocalls per day telling me that someone is trying to buy an iphone on my Amazon account. It is absolutely infuriating, and there appears to be almost nothing I can do about it, other than silencing all notifications from my phone.

Nope that’s not it, but that sounds infuriating. I get 1-3 a day random scam calls or what I think may be legit calls asking if I want to sell my house. I get 1 text a day again promoting High Times Weed delivery and then random scam texts. If a Republican promised to crack down on phone and text scammers by stopping the offenses plus torture for the perps I would be inclined to vote for them.

1 Like

Anyone here use robot vacuums, like Roomba or whatever it’s called? Are they worth it? Any recs? Do dogs attack them? Do they fall down stairs?

I have some limited experience with them. They are definitely neat gadgets and do a good enough job at easy cleaning of easy spaces. They shouldn’t fall down stairs. Although its fun to watch them spin around the legs of a table or chair, they work best in open spaces with little furniture or items on the floor for them to map around. Mine seems to keep hitting the same areas in oddly shaped rooms while completely missing other areas.

I don’t think their good enough to completely replace manual vacuuming if you really care about having a dirt/dust free environment, but they can make that part much easier by working for you in between cleaning days.

2 Likes

Paying for monthly maid service was the smartest thing I ever let my wife do

Monthly? I take it there are no kids in your house.

correct

I’ve had a spike in spam calls recently. I scheduled do not disturb for 12 hours a day. There doesn’t seem to be much point in blocking individual numbers.

Roomba definitely one of the best things we’ve bought for our house and great value at $200-$300 for how much work it saves you. One kid, one dog (not a heavy shedder), and two adults and we run the Roomba once or twice a week in different rooms. Picks up tons of dust, dirt, and hair, much more than you’d imagine is out there, sometimes I’m confused as to where it’s all coming from. We got the standard Roomba model with bluetooth so we can use the iRobot app - app doesn’t do much for me but at least tells me if the Roomba is stuck or needs to be recharged. It’s relatively quiet so the dog doesn’t mind it. Main complaint would be that the charging contacts are finicky and the brush can be obnoxious to clean as it gets a lot of hair and dust wrapped around it.

I don’t have a roomba but when I’m at my parents place it’s always interesting to see how much random crap it picks up for two or three people who aren’t exactly tracking dirt into the house. They love the thing, they’ve named it, and seem proud when it makes it home safely without getting stuck anywhere lol

Cleanup is kinda annoying if there’s dog hair though

T-Mobile has excellent and free spam/scam blocking for both calls and texts. It was a 95% reduction from what I was getting with AT&T. I get maybe 1 or 2 calls a month now, which I always block and report. Basically never get text spam anymore.

We have two dogs that shed a shitload, the Roomba works ok but for it to really clean everything i need to remove most of the obstacles (chairs, bar stools, dog toys, cords etc). We end up swiffering or vacuuming by hand more than we use the Roomba. It is nice for going under the bed and other furniture that is harder to reach by hand.

Named the Roomba Todd, he surprising has never gone over our basement stairs and we have an open basement so it would be very easy for it to happen. I have the little laser blockers setup to stop that and they work.

I have TMobile as well. I get a “scam likely” notice on calls, which is good. Only rarely get spam texts. Maybe I need to crank up some setting on the calls.

I have Verizon, but I didn’t know they had something called “Call Filter”. I will check it out. Thanks! They might have told me because I also report scam calls.

Most carriers offer something but they don’t make it widely known. AT&T wanted to charge me for whatever they had which is why I dumped them.

It says a lot that they all know exactly how to stop these calls if they want to, but don’t.

It’s funny how many people have named their Roombas. Ours is DJ Roomba after Tom’s on Parks and Rec. Of course we’ve never actually had it DJ.