Request Product Recommendations ITT!

Thanks. Was not aware that I should be looking for PD. Makes me wonder why anybody is buying these $200-300 docking stations if there are $30 USB hubs out there with PD.

I guess one caveat is that the USB hub that hokie linked still requires you to buy a separate Thunderbolt power cord, if you then want to power the laptop, a cord which is typically included if you purchase something billed as a “docking station”.

Found this from Anker which does a pretty good job of describing it for idiots like me: Blog Center - Anker US

Well, these things allegedly can drive themselves, so it might not be that bad.

1 Like

Those Taycans look nice. I hadn’t even considered them. And I really probably shouldn’t.

1 Like

Do you already have the monitor?
There are quite a few on the market with a USB hub built it, meaning you could plug all your peripherals into your monitor and just have a single cable from the monitor to laptop that does everything, including power.

You can also do the same thing with a hub/dock but it will add an extra device

1 Like

Model 3 price has went up like $7,000 since the last time I looked at it. Also in the market for an EV. I drove my coworker’s Model 3 the other day and it was revolutionary coming from a piece of shit civic.

1 Like

I ordered Sept 22 and the price has gone up 4 times since then. They keep selling out, now almost a year long wait to get one, so I can’t totally fault them for the price increases. Also lol at expecting Build Back Better to actually pass with anything helpful for consumers.

Tax credits working exactly as intended!

2 Likes

Damn. Didn’t realize it was a year wait. Can you put in the $250 deposit and cancel if you change your mind?

The $250 is nonrefundable, but you can cancel the order and it locks you in at the current price or any lower price if the price drops by the time yours is ready. If you order the Performance Model Y the wait is a lot shorter, currently Jan I think. Long range Y might be estimated for June/July. I saw some people getting Sept dates based on certain trims/options though. I kind of expect all of these dates to move up once the Austin factory starts pumping out cars.

I’m just looking for a base Model 3. I don’t see a world were the price goes down anytime soon. I believe I read that if the EV credit passes I could still get it as long as I haven’t taken receipt of the car, but I need to verify that.

1 Like

That is correct as of the current writing of the bill. And I don’t know what the wait is for the Model 3 right now. May not be as long as the Y. The website should tell you the “Estimated Delivery Date” when you build your car.

Edit: quick looks shows Model 3 delivery as soon as this December for the long range. June for the rear wheel drive.

1 Like

June 2022 for the base and December 2021 for the long range for $5k more. 22% longer range for 11% more cost.

1 Like

Interesting. So basically something like this, and then the USB-C carries power from the monitor to the laptop? And that’s the only cord to connect laptop and monitor?

No Ethernet port on the monitor though, which I do use on the dock. I could use an adapter but then I start having more things hanging off the monitor.

Wow, I hadn’t even heard about that. I’d almost feel a bit dirty taking that credit. But I’d still take it.

Sweet deal for Elon, indeed. Isn’t Tesla like one of the only EVs that had the rebate go away.

Yes, you would only have a single cable connecting the laptop and monitor. Assuming your laptop has type C charging.

There are options with ethernet built in if needed.

For example:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-ultrasharp-27-usb-c-hub-monitor-u2722de/apd/210-ayzg/monitors-monitor-accessories

1 Like

If the credit is important to you look to not take delivery until Jan 1. On the small chance that the bill gets passed it may not be retroactive. A previous version was written to be retroactive to May 2021, but that version is long dead.

This should be a reply to @Melkersons post but I messed it up. Oh well.

Thanks. I’ll continue to look into it.

Yeah, that’s definitely my plan now if I order a Tesla.

Most likely I won’t have the option of getting it earlier than that.

I don’t know if you need to test drive them ALL, but you should definitely test drive a Tesla along with a different EV. The Tesla interior/instrument panel/iPad is significantly different. I’d also recommend a decent-length highway drive to see if road noise, which is higher than other higher-end EVs will bother you.

Also, unless you have a pretty short commute, I’d spring for the longer range models over standard. Range estimates are optimistic and really drop if you run air/heat. My model 3 gets probably 30% less than projected because I’m an inveterate AC blaster

If the Wirecutter is one of your go-to websites for product reviews …