Request Product Recommendations ITT!

I think I bought my first Pixel directly from Google and I definitely bought my second one at Best Buy.

direct, with the buds deal

15% off from work!

Cheap and effective dumbell tape?

So looks like StateFarm is giving me a good reason to shop for a new home and car insurer. Any recommendations?

Anyone feel super strongly about a particular toaster oven?

Canā€™t speak for it myself, but BIL recently got one of the Breville ones (youā€™ll see a couple popular ones for $200-300) and raves about it constantly. And heā€™s by far the best home chef/cook in the family.

1 Like

https://gabi.com/MMNEg

I saved a shitton and got a great policy switching both homeowners and auto from travelers (which I thought was a good deal through my credit union) to nationwide.

1 Like

Looks like Iā€™d save maybe $300-$400 a year if I switched all my policies, but it requires my auto and home policies to be split between two insurers.

Think Iā€™ll stick with Pemco, especially since Iā€™ve had good luck with their customer service when I needed to change things.

So, Iā€™m thinking of buying an electric vehicle. And I guess based on my very limited research, it seems like Tesla is the way to go. On the other hand, I really donā€™t want to give Musk any money if I can help it. It also looks like a lot of companies are coming out with EVs in the next year that at least look good on paper. My current ride can probably hold out for a year before it either becomes undriveable or I have to spend a lot to fix it.

So anyone have any recs for non-Tesla EVs? Iā€™m just looking for a sedan. Other things I want are AWD and good user interface for music, navigation, etc.

Lots of options in the EV space now with tons more on the way. Tesla is obviously way out ahead of the pack though with a huge head start and an unmatched charging network, although they may be opening that up to other cars at some point. In my research it seemed like people were relatively happy with the VW ID4 and Hyundai Ionic/Kona. Havenā€™t looked too much into the Volvo options but they probably have some good stuff in the pipeline. You really should test drive a few though as there is so much personal preference involved.

Full disclosure, Iā€™m a bit of a Tesla fanatic (but I think Elon is an asshole obv) and I have a Model Y on order. If youā€™ve never driven a Y or 3 (or S if thatā€™s in your price range) you really should get behind the wheel at some point. You might forgive yourself for giving Elon more money.

Do I really need to drive them all separately? If I just test drive one of them will it not give me a pretty good idea of how the other ones feel.

I really just want a sedan so itā€™s between the 3 and the S for me. Although it is not clear to me that the S is better enough to justify the price.

Within the same brand, no. I meant if you are considering Hyundai/VW/Ford etc then Iā€™d say it would be worth the effort to experience them before buying. That being said, I know plenty of people are buying cars right now before ever sitting in one. I ordered mine before I was able to test drive, but had previously driven the S and X and would only be out the deposit if I ended up hating the car (I didnā€™t. Itā€™s so much fun to drive.)

In my experience, Iā€™ve found driving multiple cars at once isnā€™t ideal.

2 Likes

Mach-E, base Taycan, not a sedan but a Chevy Bolt has bigly range is is quite reasonably priced as well.

Is there a more confusing product than docking stations? Anybody have a recommendation?

I am getting a Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9. I will be connecting it to 1 external display (standard 24" or 27" monitor). Only other thing I really need to make sure it does is power the laptop.

I previously purchased this Plugable dock with an HP Spectre x360 laptop, and it works fine. This model doesnā€™t seem available anymore, plus I donā€™t need some of the older tech like the DVI input.

This Plugable model looks like it would work?

The ThinkPad branded ones cost nearly $300, and then thereā€™s a range of once you see on Amazon for $60-70, but I suspect thereā€™s a catch with these since why would you ever buy the other ones.

It may not fit what you want since I donā€™t use it to power my laptop, but I just use a USB-C hub with my Lenovo Yoga. It has multiple ports, including an HDMI connection which is permanently attached to my monitor. With that and the standard USB-C power cable Iā€™m able to ā€œdockā€ my laptop with just two plugs, and at $20-30 the hubs are way cheaper than full-function docks.

This isnā€™t the brand but is basically the same thing Iā€™ve got:
https://www.amazon.com/Hiearcool-MacBook-Multiport-Compatible-Nintendo/dp/B07WPTG7NX/ref=sxin_13_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?cv_ct_cx=usb+c+hub&keywords=usb+c+hub&pd_rd_i=B07WPTG7NX&pd_rd_r=828c29bb-c7f1-432c-8336-5c69e5b29e4b&pd_rd_w=DHh0E&pd_rd_wg=bM6sT&pf_rd_p=52e31629-00b5-465b-8635-e53daafdd1ac&pf_rd_r=G950C2CP3SK5M9RRFHGB&qid=1636999267&sr=1-1-a8004193-6951-43f6-852a-aff7dbba9115-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUE5VUE1MTdDVjJOMzYmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAwMjc5NjNVMDJJQjRHQ1pHODQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDUzNTUyMDNHQlY2N0FQQ0s0NU8md2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWMmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Thanks - yes, I suspect I could probably get away with a USB hub, and just run another cord to power the laptop. I just like keeping the desk area as tidy as possible. I guess itā€™s in the eye of the beholder whether thatā€™s worth another $100 or so. There must be some other benefit other than just the charging, although Iā€™m not sure what that would be.

Some USB-C hubs have PD passthrough (e.g. theyā€™ll power the laptop), some donā€™t. The pluggable one you linked doesnā€™t appear to do that.

There are thunderbolt hub/docks that have more capabilities than simple USB-C docks but theyā€™ll cost more.

1 Like

the thing hokie linked looks like it does PD passthrough so thereā€™s no reason to use two cables. plug power adapter into hub, plug monitor into hub, plug hub into taplop, EZ game