Request Product Recommendations ITT!

I replaced a 55" with a 65" and just moved the brackets to the new TV. It is possible the bolts you use to attach the brackets to the TV might change depending on the manufacturer of the TVs. Did you keep the 400 additional bolts that came with your mount?

Also, need more explanation on the mail room.

Wasn’t sure if people were serious. It was supposed to say “main room”. What makes it a little complicated to describe is that the basement is pretty big, but there are only 2 rooms that are closed off - my office/beer room and the guest room. The other areas are basically open surrounding the HVAC room. The main room is to the left of the staircase and opens into the room where we have our peloton and weights. The main room also opens on the bottom to an unnamed space that right now just has some random junk and a computer that my kid plays minecraft on.

I can’t even imagine how out of scale this is.

Let me know if you’d like to subscribe to further mundane details of my life.

You could have stopped after “It’s supposed to say main room”.

I looked at it again and can’t figure out how that was supposed to translate into ‘main’.

Thanks for the drawing though. Let me know if you would like me to put a word in for you at my old architecture firm.

Just the dot on the i trailing into the top of the n.

That’s it, we’ve done it. Worst digression in forum history.

It will only qualify as a really bad digression if it gets excised into it’s own thread.

We’re not even on the top 100 list of bad digressions.

I saw someone mentioning a C1 earlier. I got the 48" for myself and the 65" for my mom. Both are great

2 Likes

Should be fine. Most mounts will support a wide range (e.g., 40-90). In the olden days, 55” was sometimes the upper bound of the range, but anything purchased semi-recently should be fine. Do you know if the current mount bolts go into the studs? If so you’re golden

I recently did exactly what Crab is about to do. My mount is on a brick wall, so it’s not going anywhere. So, of course, the plan was to just put the TV on the old mount. That’s actually not trivial. Because of where the holes on the mount and the back of the TV were it was impossible to get it at the perfect height without moving the mount. So I had my TV a bit high for a month while I bought some additional metal supports that I added to the mount and then mounted the TV on that.

My mounting guy said that it’s always way harder for him to mount a new TV on an existing mount than it is to just start with an empty wall and new mount. Even though the mount is already on there, the kind of problem I had was super common.

They actually sell packs of these on amazon for <$20. Specifically for TV mounts.

1 Like

Any one have / swear by installing a dash cam? I haven’t been in a collision in 25 years but it seems so obviously huge roi. Idk.

This. I’ve had mine for about 5 years and have never needed to review the footage, but it seems like incredibly cheap insurance. Think the cam unit with front and rear cameras cost less than $100, and took less than an hour to install.

Huge roi if you’re unfortunate enough to need it as evidence, but I also believe some insurance companies give you a discount just for having one.

I bought this for $80 in 2016 and have been plenty happy with it. I’m sure there are way better version of similar products available now. Wired it to the back up lights so when I put my car in reverse the backup camera automatically pops up on the mirror. It’s like cheating when parking in tight spaces and parallel parking.

Car Dash Cam Dual Camera / Video Audio Recorder Picture in Picture DVR 5.0 Inch Screen 1980P with Micro SD Included, G-sensor, Reverse Parking System Get it all Recorded Platinum UMD #1 on the Market https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GQTAXFU/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_W7942YNWKHMR8P4T35K1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I have an a119 which was highly recommended at the time but it’s only front view. After watching people who get pulled over and record their interactions with police I’ve been meaning to update to a front/rear and interior camera setup. I added the A139 to my Amazon cart but haven’t actually ordered it yet.

FYI, if you are a Costco member, looks like they have a deal on the C1 where you’ll get 3 years of a squaretrade like warranty for the same price that everybody else is selling the TV:

https://www.costco.com/lg-65"-class---c1-series---4k-uhd-oled-tv---allstate-protection-plan-bundle-included.product.100761679.html

ETA: Any $30-$50 mount will be fine. Don’t overspend on the mount.

ETA2: i’m not particularly handy but didn’t find mounting the tv too difficult as long as you have a stud finder and your studs are normal distant apart.

2 Likes

A $170 tv mount is absurd. Any $30 one on Amazon will and I’m sure best buy has cheap ones as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, if you’re going to spend $180 on a mount, make sure you pick up the $200 monster HDMI cable as well.

4 Likes

You forgot the Bose headphones!

1 Like

If you want to blow extra, the G1 is more expensive and is meant to be wall mounted

this site is great for any TV purchasing LG G1 OLED Review (OLED55G1PUA, OLED65G1PUA, OLED77G1PUA) - RTINGS.com

1 Like

When I was in this spot, I found that monoprice.com is a excellent source for mounts and cables. Great prices and they do what they are supposed to do.