Request Product Recommendations ITT!

Not a recommendation, but just an observation from when I got new phones for my family a few weeks ago: I love that foldable smartphones finally seem to be a thing. They aren’t perfect yet and I don’t know if they ever will be, but the Samsungs looked pretty fucking cool when I saw them in the store. The imperfection is that you can still feel/see the bend in the middle when they are unfolded, but it’s still really neat.

I came close to getting one because it was buy one get one free, so they “only” would have been $500 each and I was already leaning toward getting the Google Pixel 5a for $450. Would’ve opted for the one that folds “vertically,” like an old flip phone. In the end, T-Mobile had such a ridiculous deal on the Samsung S20 FE that I couldn’t pass it up.

I had the 8plus and just got the ProMax. Am ambivalent about the big screen but battery life is issue #1, 2 and 3 to me and the bigger phones have the bigger/longer lasting battery so that is what I want.

1 Like

I haven’t bought yet, still doing my research, and was wondering if getting the 13 was a better play. An unfortunate side effect of that is being reminded of how fucking terrible Apple is and going down that rabbit hole. I see they were giddy to start spying on their customers while breaking E2E encryption under the guise of saving the children, then had to pump the breaks when basically every privacy and data security expert publicly eviscerated them. So now that plan is “on hold” and I presume it is solely to evade heat during this IP13 mega pump we’re currently seeing, and then will probably make zero changes recommended by experts and just sneak it back into iOS 15.

Pixel 6 coming out this month, gonna get it.

1 Like

Isn’t this Pixel going to be pricier than previous iterations?

We got the Pixel 4 for my wife earlier this year, and for the price it’s a good phone with an excellent camera.

1 Like

Only rumors so far on price. I think a lot of people are expecting a flagship phone this time around though

1 Like

What features make the 6 better for you than the 5a?

Mostly the 120hz refresh rate + higher quality screen. I also like having the latest model when I buy because I usually go at least 3 years before purchases. Usually 4 or more I start to have speed/reliability issues with older hardware.

1 Like

any recomendations on rain jackets? I travel for work (I used to travel all the time, just now starting to get back on the road, not sure how much I’ll actually be out there yet). I want something lightweight, breathable, and packable (e.g. rolls up into it’s own pocket). Mostly just need something I can keep in my backpack that won’t take up a lot of room.

Ideally it will come in tall sizes. I currently have a LL Bean trail model jacket, it’s been great but the lining is starting to come apart. They’ve jacked up the price on this model quite a bit since I bought mine, and for just a bit more I can get a patagonia torrentshell 3L which has pit zips and better zipper sealing. I tried on the torrentshell at the patagonia store in Seattle last week, and I would have snap bought it if they had it in my size in a color that wasn’t extremely bright electric blue.

Since I have a couple of weeks before my next trip I figured I’d dig around and see if there’s anything else I should consider.

Bonus points if they carry it at like REI so I can try it on locally (I’m really tall so length is a big concern).

My Marmot rain jacket has never leaked and been in downpours. Probably an outdated model. I’ve had it several years. I love their winter shells also.

1 Like

Arcteryx is great, but it’s so hard to justify their prices!

My rec is the Marmot precip, it’s also the number one rain jacket for through hikers on the Appalachian Trail, so that’s a pretty solid data point.

https://www.backcountry.com/columbia-watertight-jacket-mens?skid=COL001C-NIGTID-XL&ti=UExQIEJyYW5kOkNvbHVtYmlhIE1lbidzIFJhaW4gSmFja2V0czoxOjU6MTAwMDAwMTUxX2JjLW1lbnMtcmFpbi1qYWNrZXRz

Runs a little large.

Comfortable and will keep you dry for $60.

This site is awesome for quality reviews also.

1 Like

Marmot is lightest of all those.

My last marmot was stuffy as hell; even with the armpit openings unzipped.

I paid ~ $100 so I’m guessing it was their cheapest jacket.

1 Like

I guess I did use mine once in hot weather and rain and it was kind of stuffy. I guess I just figured any rain jacket with taped seams that is 100 percent waterproof would be this way. My Under Armor backpacking rain pants are also stuffy but perfectly dry every time I’ve used them. My “waterproof” boots/shoes always leak before my clothing.

1 Like

Does anyone use Evernote or other note-taking apps? Evernote sounds pretty good, but not sure I want to spend 8 bucks a month.

I run most of my life on Evernote.

1 Like

Haven’t used Evernote in some years but it was a good product but seemed bland when I dropped it.

For the last two years I’ve been using Notion (Your connected workspace for notes, docs & tasks | Notion) and would recommend it to others. It has a lot of features and is very customizable. The product itself was created more recently Evernote, so it has most of the same features and I’m sure Evernote has jacked a few of Evernote’s ideas as well. Apparently it is free for personal use. I say “apparently” because when I originally subscribed, you were limited to a number of pages. However, the free version now has unlimited pages but there are some other limitations on things like max file size for uploads and version history. Subscription for unlimited file sizes is only $4/month.

1 Like

Have used Evernote. Google Keep is ok for short simple notes. Currently using OneNote and it’s alright despite some frustrating inconsistencies across platforms and versions.

1 Like

Anyone have recs for products that have just improved your quality/ease of life in general? I’ll take any suggestions. Mine would be:

1. Electric lawnmower
  2. Cordless vacuum
  3. Vitamix blender
  4. Zojirushi water warmer for tea in wintertime
  5. A battery-powered jump-starter kit
1 Like