Request Product Recommendations ITT!

What is it great at? Seriously curious about use cases for an extremely overpriced, fragile hand computer.

I guess battery life is pretty great.

Otherwise, just general reliability. It works exactly as it should. No glitches of any kind.

1 Like

Probably said this before but while Iā€™m sure its some degree of bad luck every single product Iā€™ve ever bought from Samsung has been total shit. My induction rangeā€™s firmware crashed, had it replaced for $500, it crashed again and we threw it out. My washing machine is an explosion risk. Their phones have been bad, their tablets worse.

My pixel 3 and wifeā€™s pixel 3a have been fine and Iā€™ll be picking up a 6 in a couple months I think.

Yeah but isnā€™t that sort of like buying a 4K TV/monitor when they first launched because eventually everything will be 4K? In case itā€™s not obvious, Iā€™m hugely skeptical of consumer electronics hype shit because it all sounds like marketing speak designed to move product. This is especially true of an industry built on the back of outright collusion.

Oh well thatā€™s good. It seems like a fairly substantial price to pay for the most basic aspect of performance (works as it should with no glitches). Since smartphones have been out for quite a long time, Iā€™m still surprised that the most basic functionality does not seem to be available at a much lower price. Iā€™m using an Xperia right now that I canā€™t even dial out on half of the time because some failure / glitch in the proximity sensor that turns the screen off. All of the Android phones Iā€™ve owned had some kind of super breaking bug like that.

Jesus. I have the washer and dryer that was gifted to me by a couple who had it gifted to them. Iā€™m a second generation gifted Samsung w/d owner.

Yeah, Iā€™ve got no argument there. I was just answering the question about having a phone that I like.

1 Like

Yea, most of me liking my phone is having very few things that actively bother me

Actually, the small form factor having the bigger screen is pretty dope. I fucking hate those enormous phablet phones and absolutely refuse to have one but Iā€™d seriously consider paying up for this.

PVNā€™s retro clock twitter link showed this also the other day. Get some.

seiko-uc-2000-wrist-pc-computer

2 Likes

I got offered like $1 more per month with 0% interest so of course got the 12 max pro. Itā€™s probably best because Iā€™m struggling with presbyopia hard lol. My Apple Watch is a pain in the ass if Iā€™m wearing my contact lenses and donā€™t have readers with. JFC listen to me.

1 Like

Thanks. Iā€™m ordering one now.

1 Like

Aight yā€™all sold me on the 12 Mini. Itā€™s a splurge and I should really get the new SE given how infreuently Iā€™ll use it, but the small form factor with the bigger screen is something Iā€™ve been wanting for years.

The problem with smartphones is that you just canā€™t get an inexpensive one because the inexpensive ones are garbage. Iā€™m oversimplifying, but to get a decent phone, youā€™re generally paying at least $400. Additionally, itā€™s hard to get a good deal unless you are switching providers or adding a new line. The Google Pixel 5a is one of the best deals you can get straight off the shelf and thatā€™s still $450.

I really liked my Google Pixel 3, but both my wife and I had the same fatal flaw in ours: the battery swelled up after 15-18 months or so. Apparently, itā€™s a known issue, so Google replaced my wifeā€™s for free after it was out of warranty. Mine took longer to fail, so I didnā€™t bother - I just got Amex to pay for it with the extended warranty benefit.

I just got great deals on the iPhone 11 and Samsung Galaxy S20 FE, but that was because we switched to T-Mobile.

Is it worthy upgrading from a ten-year-old Nook to a fourth-generation Kindle Paperwhite?

Backlit ereaders are a massive improvement but thereā€™s finally some competitors, I got wife this boox thing last year mostly for the size.

Still rocking my 3XL. Getting the 6 when it comes out later this month. All my Nexus and Pixel phones have been stellar. There are only 2 options for phones as far as Iā€™m concerned, iPhones and Pixels. Unfortunately both are mega expensive

Pixel was also my most reliable phone (3XL). Theyā€™ve been pretty consistently discounted on Black Friday for the past few years.

Yeah. I got the first generation paperwhite and still use it daily. Was a huge step up from the original kindle.

1 Like

Xiaomi Poco 3 has flagship level innards for ~350$. Great battery, screen, processor and ok camera.

My Poco 1 just turned 3 years and I think it will serve another 3 easily. Just changed the battery, cost: 13ā‚¬ lol.

Thereā€™s really no reason to pay double for inferior specs, YMMV though :slightly_smiling_face:

Iā€™ve been doing some research, as my 6s Plus (lol) is on its last legs and itā€™s time for a new phone, and several videos have remarked that the 13 Mini is a significant improvement in terms of battery life, which was the main weak point of the 12 Mini, not to improvements to the camera, display, etc.

Since I prefer a bigger screen, Iā€™m leaning toward the 13 or even 13 Pro, but you canā€™t beat the Mini for portability.

Hereā€™s an informative video that compares battery drain among the iPhones currently sold by Apple:

1 Like